No announcement yet.

Got a new gecko! She is my first! Pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new gecko! She is my first! Pics!

So, today I went and bought a female Hypo Tangerine Leopard Gecko. She is 3 years old, and I named her Clementine. Pics!

Enjoy!
    Reptiles: 1.2 Normal Ball Pythons, 1.0 Spider Ball Python
    Other: 0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.1 Hypo Tangerine Leopard Gecko

Very cute, congrats! are you on a leopard gecko forum also?
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Comment

Beautiful!! Congrats!
      Crestopia Reptiles
      http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

No, I can't find a good Leo Gecko forum at all...

Comment

gecko forums dot net is pretty informative. Loads of info there! Congrats on your new one!
          0.1 Gargoyle Gecko 1.6 Leopard Geckos 0.1 Savannah Monitor 2.0.1 White's Tree Frogs 1.0 Dauchshund 0.1 Blue Heeler 0.0.2 Fish 1.2 Humans

Comment

Awesome lil girl you've got there!

I highly suggest you get her off sand. (the people who sell the colored sand add calcium to the sand, which makes them more inclined to ingest it if additional calcium is not supplied) Reptile carpet (Inexpensive, easily washed), slate tiles (again, very easily cleaned) or simple paper towels would be best. They don't come from a sandy area and since they're bug eaters, this causes impaction. I personally have rescued a leo with impaction. It's not a fun thing to fix.

Also a humid hide should be supplied to aid in shedding. (:

If you have any further questions feel free to message me.
            Ariel- 20/F/WA
            iHerp
            Website
            9.11.0.2 Crested Geckos//1.2.5.5 Tokay Gecko//1.0.0 Day Gecko
            1.0.0 White spot gecko//0.2.0 Rose Hair Tarantulas
            1.1.0 Suntiger Tarantula//0.0.1 Versi color
            0.0.1 Regalis//0.1.O THRIXOPELMA OCKERTI
            0.1.0 Hairless Rat//0.1.0 Albino Rat//1.0.0 Betta//2.1.0 Cats//0.0.1 Pac Man Frog

Comment

Oh please don't give me the sand talk again. I have heard enough about it. She has been on sand for most of her life before I got her, so, she is doing just fine.

Comment

Clementine looks nice! I have one very similar to her ; )
                I love the Leos too. Have fun with her!
                P.S. As someone posted, www.geckoforums.net, and, www.geckosunlimited.com

Comment

Originally posted by ThornPython4 View Post
                  Oh please don't give me the sand talk again. I have heard enough about it. She has been on sand for most of her life before I got her, so, she is doing just fine.
                  It was only a suggestion to ensure she's safe(no guessing games, no worrying), save you some money, and prevent the heartache that we've experienced. No need to be rude about it, we're just offering you our experience.
                  ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
                  7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

Aww, I got my first leopard gecko recently actually! (: I love the hypo color on her!

Comment

Originally posted by Ihkura View Post
                      It was only a suggestion to ensure she's safe(no guessing games, no worrying), save you some money, and prevent the heartache that we've experienced. No need to be rude about it, we're just offering you our experience.
                      Agreed. Just because she HAS been doing okay on sand doesn't mean that she always will do okay on sand. For the saftey of your animal, please get her off it, there are many other substrates that will suit her better.
                      After Dark Reptiles on Facebook

Comment

I agree with the others, get her off the sand! Sand gives the geckos absolutely NO benefits - they are not burrowing geckos nor are they "happier" on sand. Calcium sand (like you are using), in particular, is dangerous for animals. It encourages them to consume the sand, which is potentially fatal if enough is consumed. I use reptile carpet for my leopard gecko, but paper towels and non-adhesive shelf liner are good choices too.
                        1.0 Bearded Dragon
                        0.1.1 Leopard Geckos

Comment

"Impaction caused by loose substrates develop overtime, so the symptoms are more gradual. Most of the time it will go unseen until it is too late.

Calci-Sand, Vita-Sand, and other calcium based sand is a BIGno-no. Do not trust the manufacturer's label as digestible. Because it contains calcium, reptiles are more likely to eat it, but where calcium is good, sand is not."

From "What is Reptile Impaction" : http://hubpages.com/hub/Impaction
                          ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
                          7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

tid bit about calci-sand, it is not digestable. Has your gecko been doing fine on it? Yes. But is that a guarentee that some day it may it ingest the stuff (which is terribly jagged and known to cause intestional ruptures). Here is a link of what can happen as you will notice this was a 3 year old female housed on sand, so age and time on the sand has nothing to do with it.
                            http://homepage.mac.com/exoticdvm/re...oAlbum181.html

It isnt a debate when things like this are known, it is simply a fact in which people wish to ignore because it hasnt happened to them YET. This sand proves to hold no benifit other then you will notice your geckos feet are stained becuase of it. Sand houses and breed bacteria quite quickly, as I said it is not digestable so the calcium in it is of absolutely no use to your gecko, and you are just plain putting it at risk over beauty when infact this species of reptile doesnt even come from the desert it comes from a rocky area.
                            lets just say I have a lot of stuff
                            www.sublimereptiles.com
                            Facebook
                            BOI

Comment

OK The OP is very well aware of what "COULD" happen with keeping the gecko on sand. While we do not use it anymore we NEVER had a problem with the many geckos we kept on it. So rather than trying to bash it in peoples head just make sure they are aware of the problem you think they have and be done with it. Too many times people will be RUDE about the subject. I am sure some people have had cresties get impacted from some of the normally used substrates.
                              Monica Elrod
                              JM Geckos & Exotics
                              Greenville, SC

Comment

Working...
                              X