Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avalanche: Beautful yet Deadly (GRAPHIC Photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ouch..and how in the hell do you put that muzzle on?? I'm still looking into getting a breeding pair just doin my research 1st

Comment

I purchased one when I was maybe twelve years old. I opened the bag in the garage and it leaped out, bit my hand and scurried off-Never to be seen again. 30ish years later I can still remember what that one second worth of bite felt like. I've been bitten by many, many herps since then and nothing compares to that sudden vice-like feeling. Tokay owners are a special breed that command my complete respect.
      We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Regalia View Post
        Wowzah. That's brutal!

How's your finger doing? Too bad you cant grow it back :S
        I've been so busy today that I've only just now gotten the original bandaid off. At least it was one with antibiotic in the pad, but it was stuck and hurt like hell getting it off. I was worried it would bleed again, but it's pretty well sealed from that now.

Originally posted by condakeeper View Post
        ouch..and how in the hell do you put that muzzle on?? I'm still looking into getting a breeding pair just doin my research 1st
        Avalanche will cross his entire four foot tank just to come after me. I have to pin him by the neck in his tank with extra long tongs before grabbing him and hold his mouth shut until the muzzle is latched behind his jaws.
        19.21.10.45 Tokay Geckos: Normals, Granites, Patternless, Calico/Pieds, Hets, & Unproven Aberrants
        7.6.0.16 Other Gekko species *** 1.1 Leachianus *** 5.10.7 Geckolepis maculata & typica Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 CB Knight Anole
        1.2 Pachydactylus tigrinus *** 1.0 Pyxie Frog *** 10 Tarantulas & 1 Jumping Spider
        www.SpottedScales.com *** Spotted Scales FB

Comment

He sounds extremely territorial. Could that be the issue? After all, you received the bite when he was back in his territory, and you were the 'invader'.
          Some individuals are just aggressive. I had an aggressive ball python that I sold (with full disclosure) after it became clear that she shouldn't be trusted. She would aim a bite at your torso while you were holding her, lol.
          --Winged Wolf
          Eclipse Exotics
          http://www.eclipseexotics.com
          21.58 BPs in collection, 1.1 BP hatchlings, 1.1 super dwarf reticulated pythons, 0.1 Lygodactylus williamsi, 0.1 Lygodactylus angularis, 1.1 Lygodactylus conradti, 0.8 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Comment

Originally posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
            He sounds extremely territorial. Could that be the issue? After all, you received the bite when he was back in his territory, and you were the 'invader'.
            Some individuals are just aggressive. I had an aggressive ball python that I sold (with full disclosure) after it became clear that she shouldn't be trusted. She would aim a bite at your torso while you were holding her, lol.
            Up until the day it happened, he would come after me no matter where he was. That was the first day he had ever calmed down at all, thats why I was so excited about it and chanced a more loose grip when putting him back in his tank. Usually he (seems to) understands when he is being returned where he'll be left alone and never moves until I've closed the door. I completely didn't expect his attack because it was unusual for him when going home.

Thanks for the thought though! I'm not going to worry over it because I plan to let him be now except for cleaning and a weight check every few months. I was thinking about selling him once Black Frost is up to taking over breeding, but I'm afraid he'll really hurt someone.
            19.21.10.45 Tokay Geckos: Normals, Granites, Patternless, Calico/Pieds, Hets, & Unproven Aberrants
            7.6.0.16 Other Gekko species *** 1.1 Leachianus *** 5.10.7 Geckolepis maculata & typica Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 CB Knight Anole
            1.2 Pachydactylus tigrinus *** 1.0 Pyxie Frog *** 10 Tarantulas & 1 Jumping Spider

Comment

Yep !!! been there , done that !! they are NASTY little buggers, my female grabbed on and held tight for ONE hour!! I just left her hang on,vise like grip,but I didnt want to take a chance hurting her, prying her off,she let go when she was ready.

Joe M.
              www.dragonslare.com
              1.4. Frilled Dragons, 4.5.0.15 Bearded Dragons, 1.4.31.24 Crested Geckos, 1.4.0.2 Halmahera Giant Geckos (marginata), 1.1. Gargoyle Geckos, 3.8.6.4 Leopard Geckos, 1.5.1.20 Chinese Cave Geckos, 2.1.2.4 Fat-Tail Geckos, 1.1. Mossy LeafTail Gecko's, 0.1 Henkeli LeafTail Gecko, 0.3. African Banded Velvet Gecko's, 0.0.2 Madagascan Giant Day Gecko's, 1.0. Veiled Chameleons, .1.1. Cyrtodactylus irianjayaensis 1.1. Cyrtodactylus intermedius 1.4.Tibetan Frog-Eyed Gecko's

Comment

Did you need stitches or after that 30 minutes did it just 100% stop?
                Also has that happened before with him?
                Pet Fanatic 4 life

Comment

Originally posted by Reptile Lover View Post
                  Did you need stitches or after that 30 minutes did it just 100% stop?
                  Also has that happened before with him?
                  I didn't go get stitches, we just wrapped it up so I couldn't hit it at work that night. Hes always been that aggressive yes, but either hes never tried that hard or just hadn't nabbed me on the tip of my finger. Like I said, I've worked with a lot of Tokays over the years and never had one that would go out of his way (such as crossing his 4 foot tank) to attack me.

**UPDATE** 2 Days Later

After 24 hours wrapped in a bandage full of antibiotics and 2 work shifts with a fresh bandage each night and open to air during the day, it's healing nice and quick. I need to cut away the skin he peeled up further up my finger because theres dried blood under it I haven't been able to wash off. Sorry one is fuzzy. It's really hard to photograph with my right hand while hitting the shutter button with my left.

Comment

Oh crap Kris. I sorry! But I still love Avvy! My 3 baby tokays are fiesty but I hope I'll b able to Storm train him. I'm waiting to send you Clyde tho. You are my tokay hero, and my respect grows even more for when I read your posts about how misunderstood this specie really is. I agree with you 100%. keep up the good work and I'm sure avalanche forgives you for invading his teritory lol
                    0.1 Human- Kyrah, 3.1 Crested Geckos, 0.2.1 Tokay, 1.1 Uromastyx, 0.1 Ball Python, 0.0.1 leachy, 1.0 chewie/crested hybrid, 2.2 RTB, 1.0 golden gecko

Comment

Sorry if i may sound rude, but you kinda got what you deserved for stressing it all day long by taking it out like a lapdog with a muzzle.

They are defensive and territorial, once it felt save again it bit. Which leads to the conclusion that it was afraid and stressed the rest of the day.
                      Tokays are very misunderstood, they are not only defensive but also very sensitive and i cant understand why people always try to whisper or tame them. They are wild animals, period. Provide them with a proper enclosure, care for them and enjoy watching them.

regards

Ingo

PS: still hope your finger heals up all right
                      4,14,x Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                      1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus Friedl Line
                      1,1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli Nuu Ana
                      1,0 Rhacodactylus cf leachianus
                      0,0,3 Rhacodactylus trachyrhynchus trachyrhynchus
                      and some other herps ...

greetings from austria
                      ingo
                      www.napalm.at

Comment

Yes, I am aware of that. If I had not had a majority of the Tokays I have kept learn that handling is not a threat and decided to accept handling and interaction, I would not have tried to get through his hatred of people. I at least would have quit at his original refusal if his temper hadn't caused another problem. Unfortunately, it seems this cannot be untaught in lesser intelligent animals as it is often done in mammals though it is just as evident that a negative background will ruin most any animal.

My main reason for wanting him to calm down? When I would try to check on Storm's eggs, Avalanche would get so angry at my presence that he would viciously attack Storm because he could not get to me. He now has to live in isolation because Storm was miserable with him in the same tank. The proof of that? She was constantly dull and drab in color and flinched/fled from everything until I removed him and I will not make her live that way. Now if he calls for her and she wants to see him, I find her at the glass divider staring at his side. I let her over, she disappears for 6-12 hours, and then I find her back at the glass wanting to go back to her side.

Thank you for your input though. My finger would likely be completely healed if I had continued putting antibiotics on it under a band-aid every night, but I slacked off so it's finishing up slower and still tender.

Comment

Hi Kita,

since when do you have him? Sometimes they need very long to get used to new surrounding. Another point, not every male tokay and every female tokay get along well. Sometimes multiple partners need to be offered. How large is your setup for them? Why exactly and how are you checking the eggs? What is it good for?

Once again, imho the best thing for tokays is to leave them alone as much as possible. Tokays not biting while you handle them, does not mean that they enjoy it.

greets

Ingo
                          Last edited by ciliatus; 04-10-2010, 09:35 PM.
                          4,14,x Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                          1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus Friedl Line
                          1,1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli Nuu Ana
                          1,0 Rhacodactylus cf leachianus
                          0,0,3 Rhacodactylus trachyrhynchus trachyrhynchus
                          and some other herps ...

greetings from austria
                          ingo
                          www.napalm.at

Comment

I've had Avalanche for over 10 months. I had also read about some animals not being compatible, though I mostly heard of the female rejecting the male, and there were no signs on problems until the eggs arrived. I'm assuming the tank is at least a 40 gallon being 47"x16"x16". Storm had decided to lay her eggs on the paper towel covered floor under a cave, so I lift the cave to check for eggs and/or hatchlings so that I know when they arrive. Alone, she doesn't mind me in there.

Thank you again for your personal input. I fully understand and accept your opinion, but I would like to end this conversation because handling animals is a rather touchy subject that quickly leads to arguments which I would like to avoid.

Comment

hahahaha. Nice.

Comment

At least I'm not the only one who's ever accidentally let their Tokay loose in the car....
                                -erica.
                                3.2.0: Crested Geckos-Maurice. Calypso. Sun-Dance. Rodolfo. Sand-Storm.
                                2.3.0: Box Turtles-Sheldon, Macho. Munch, Citrus, Scooter.
                                1.1.2: Leopard Geckos- Doug. Kevin. Jango. Jaja.
                                0.0.2: Green Iguanas- Darwin. Liberty.
                                1.0.0: Pygmy Chameleon- Lafayette.

Comment

Working...
                                X