What is the craze??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the craze??

Ok, so I understand that everyone has their favorite type of gecko or animal...but I'm trying to figure out the leopard gecko craze. I call it a craze because I was aware of a few morphs...now there are so many that I am clueless. I've heard of several breeders getting out of cresteds to go to leopards completely. They are super cute little guys, don't get me wrong...but why are those being pushed now more than cresteds? Am I the only one noticing this?

I had a leopard years ago, and only recently got interested in them again. I too was boggled by all the morphs and combos that have come out since then, it took some tutelage by a friend to get myself square again, lol! However, personally I wouldn't say they're being pushed more than cresteds... though that may just be my experience (and I'm sure it's different for everyone). I think cresties are the new craze. Leos were a huge deal when all these morphs were first coming out, and because they were so easy to care for and breed. But now we've got cresties... who are even easier to care for and breed, and have all kinds of morph potentials as well! Leos got cheaper and cheaper (besides brand new morphs), and we're seeing the same thing with cresties now.
    .. Familiar Exotics .. and related Blog ..

*** 7.16.10 Cresties *** 4.5 Gargs *** 1.0 Ibera Greek Tortoise *** 0.1 Rubber Boa *** 0.2.1.2 Mourning Geckos *** 2.1.3 E. agricolae *** 1.2.2.7 L. williamsi *** 1.1 C. sarasinorum ***

Comment

I had just noticed when I went to a show a couple of months ago I was on the hunt for cresteds, and about 2 breeders were selling their last cresteds because theyre focusing more on leopards.

Comment

I have noticed the re-appeal in recent times. The whole top 5 pet reptiles that Reptiles Magazine did a few months back with the leopard gecko in first place. It's a big push right now. I think it has to do with the European demand.
        It's a popcorn season!

Comment

Leos have been around longer...more people know of them. It seems to me that selling them would be an easier task than with cresteds, especially in my area. Everyone knows what a leopard gecko is even if they hate reptiles. Few have ever heard of a crested gecko (here in TN), and besides which they don't want to make the effort with CGD. Also...leo morphs now can be INTENSELY bright, and though cresteds have progressed to many bright lookers, I think something like a tangerine leo has immediate visual appeal. The average Joe Schmoe is more likely to put down the money for what is obviously very striking yet familiar.
          Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
          ~Illumination Exotics~

Comment

This is probably right. Most would be more appealed to the "brighter" gecko as opposed to the crested. Generally, I also see more leos cheaper than cresteds too.

Comment

Hey,
              It might be location, but here in N.Illinois, where I'm a vendor at one of the largest expo in the mid-west(twice a month,every month), it's Cresties and all of there color /pattern variations, are way over leopard's. Leo's are still very popular and good sellers,pretty wild coloring also.I've got a incredible female-two toned tangerine carrot top thats 7 months old and can't wait until I can breed her with another morph'd male carrot top. but Cresties are still selling way above Leo's here.
              Joe M.
              www.dragonslare.com
              1.4. Frilled Dragons, 4.5.0.15 Bearded Dragons, 1.4.31.24 Crested Geckos, 1.4.0.2 Halmahera Giant Geckos (marginata), 1.1. Gargoyle Geckos, 3.8.6.4 Leopard Geckos, 1.5.1.20 Chinese Cave Geckos, 2.1.2.4 Fat-Tail Geckos, 1.1. Mossy LeafTail Gecko's, 0.1 Henkeli LeafTail Gecko, 0.3. African Banded Velvet Gecko's, 0.0.2 Madagascan Giant Day Gecko's, 1.0. Veiled Chameleons, .1.1. Cyrtodactylus irianjayaensis 1.1. Cyrtodactylus intermedius 1.4.Tibetan Frog-Eyed Gecko's

Comment

Originally posted by dragonslare View Post
                Hey,
                It might be location, but here in N.Illinois, where I'm a vendor at one of the largest expo in the mid-west(twice a month,every month), it's Cresties and all of there color /pattern variations, are way over leopard's. Leo's are still very popular and good sellers,pretty wild coloring also.I've got a incredible female-two toned tangerine carrot top thats 7 months old and can't wait until I can breed her with another morph'd male carrot top. but Cresties are still selling way above Leo's here.
                Joe M.
                Very good point.

Comment

I'm also from the N. Il. area and can attest to the crestie poularity going on right now in our area. Leos have slowly coming back around with limited morphs avail. at the shows. I thing the leo populatity has to do with the fact that the leo genetics seem to be more figured out and the cresties are still shooting from the hip. You can put 2 blonde cream cresties together and get a nice brown crestie as a juvie..Doesn't work that way most o the time with the leos. I have them both and love both of them as much!

Comment

The pendulum swings in the reptile community, thats for sure.

One of the reasons cresteds got so popular is the simple MRP or the old 'baby food' idea. So when crickets were a pain in the bum to keep lots of people switched over. Now that roaches are so simple to keep and maintain its simple to switch back. Then the tons of competition with Rhacs makes it harder to break even with them. Plus in the last few years Leos have had a lot of morphs come out and they are much slimpler to genetically figure out. Rhacs not so much.

All of these reasons (& I'm sure there are more) are why a good deal of people are switching back or over to a new species and not sticking with cresteds.
                    Sarah & Jake
                    LunarGecko.net
                    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
                    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Comment

on top of that leos are much cheaper. Although in the long run it is cheaper to feed crested geckos, you will notice often leo breeders will turn a larger profit then crested breeders simply because leos are so cheap, and everyone knows what they are. The one show I happened to vend I had so many people come up to me not knowning when they were, while a few tables away the leopards were flying off the table as if they have wings.

But now any well established leo breeder will tell you, although leos are more popular, everybody and their grandma seem to be breeding them now a days and it can be just as hard selling them.

But also people could have been testing the waters in a new species to see if it was any better. You will find well known leo breeders have been doing it a long time and are slowly branching out to other species, but not completely abandoning their leos, instead it is still their main focus. For me personally, I would go to these breeders instead of the breeders who are just trying to jump on whatever bandwagon seems to be in the lead.
                      lets just say I have a lot of stuff
                      www.sublimereptiles.com
                      Facebook
                      BOI

Comment

To be honest, Leopard geckos became popular way before crested geckos. In fact, I think their much more popular in general. Leopard geckos are one of the most owned reptile pets. However, I like crested geckos much more. Leopard geckos don't look that appealing to me, to be honest. Not to mention they really don't do much and aren't capable of things that crested geckos are. I think leopard geckos are popular because their cheap and easy. The American way.
                        0.0.2 Crested Geckos: Hubert, Blaze
                        0.0.1 Gargoyle Gecko: Jasper

Comment

all very good points.

I, honestly, have not and probably will never own a leopard gecko. Like G3ko, they don't appeal to me either. There is nothing bad about them...I'm just more googly eye at cresteds. Thanks for the responses!

Comment

I had horrible luck with leos, so I went with African FAt Tails. I love them. They're mellower overall yet still have the same adorable hunting patterns such as the tail waggle and pounce when going for crickets. But my heart has always been with the stickyfoot geckos. . .
                            Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

I breed leopard gex for a while, giants mostly. After some time I got board with them. Nothing wrong with them its just they don't do much except while feeding/hunting and because of this mine started to get fat. Oops. I don't think feeding them roaches would be nearly as fun to watch. LOL I always got some sick satisfaction out of seeing a gecko nail a cricket. They are such nasty little buggers that its just fun to watch a cricket get chomped on. Besides that IMHO you cant do much with a desert tank while with a tropical tank you can have lots of fun with and make it creative.

If I was ever going to have anther desert animal it would have to be something diurnal for me to be able to enjoy as much as a Rhac.
                              Sarah & Jake
                              LunarGecko.net
                              Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
                              You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Comment

Working...
                              X