No announcement yet.

What is the craze??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leos really are easier to care for--there is no issue with humidity and airflow. A humid hide is all they need, and a dry desert tank. This is super easy to maintain. Leos can be kept in racks.
    They do eat bugs, but many breeders feed primarily mealworms for the ease of it.

Cresties--well, that humidity is crucial.

Temperatures can be problematic--yes, the average home is around 70F, but sometimes in summer temps can get dangerously high for a crestie. Leos--no problem. It gets up to 90, and they're still fine.

Cresties need good air flow to do well. They may not be as picky as a chameleon, but many still keep them in screen cages. That makes keeping humidity up even more difficult.

You can house twice as many leo hatchlings (if not more) than you could crested babies, in the same amount of space.

Leos are the top rated 'first pet lizard'. Cresties aren't, for all of the above reasons.

Don't get me wrong--I like cresties. But I wouldn't recommend one for a beginner, only for someone who already had reptile experience. They're great, in the hands of the knowledgeable.
    --Winged Wolf
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com
    21.58 BPs in collection, 1.1 BP hatchlings, 1.1 super dwarf reticulated pythons, 0.1 Lygodactylus williamsi, 0.1 Lygodactylus angularis, 1.1 Lygodactylus conradti, 0.8 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Comment

One thing I've heard is I had several petshops tell me not to start with Crested because they were 'more difficult' and that the only beginner lizard was a Leopard. I personally don't find Leopards particularly attractive so it was very easy for me to ignore that advice.

1.1.1 Crested Gecko (Jazzy, Thor, Tony Stark)
      0.2.0 Dogs (Ebony, Ein)
      1.0.0 Ball Python (Loki)
      2.0.0 Cats (Yin, Yang)

Comment

I can think of other beginner lizards, but none as simple as leos.
        --Winged Wolf
        Eclipse Exotics
        21.58 BPs in collection, 1.1 BP hatchlings, 1.1 super dwarf reticulated pythons, 0.1 Lygodactylus williamsi, 0.1 Lygodactylus angularis, 1.1 Lygodactylus conradti, 0.8 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Comment

I wouldn't call it a craze, or fad. Leopard geckos have been front runners as popular pet reptiles for well over a decade now.
          -Charles Mullen
          I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Comment

I don't necessarily want them to rank above cresties in value (I love them, and have invested a lot in my collection), but I do understand the appeal of leos. Leos have been around and have been worked with for a long time, and they will always have my respect. I have kept many of them and I do happen to love them. I rehabbed 5 or 6 of them a year or two ago and completely fell in love. I now only have two girls and I am not in a rush to breed. They're only pets for now, but they will always stay with me. Don't get me wrong... cresteds are my thing, but leos do have some things to appreciate that are lacking in cresteds, in my experience. They are definitely more fun to watch. They do also seem to have more personality. I wouldn't give up my cresteds to do it, but I could see myself getting more into leos down the road. The only reason I haven't is that I just don't want to get myself into a flooded market, with a bunch of babies that I can't sell. Anyway, I know sometimes you just can't get into something, but I wouldn't knock these guys until you try them-- they're very endearing.
            Currently working with R. ciliatus

Comment

Oh no, def. not knocking them down. I just happened to notice some previous crested breeders getting rid of their entire stock to work on leos only.

Comment

Originally posted by Heatheri004 View Post
                Oh no, def. not knocking them down. I just happened to notice some previous crested breeders getting rid of their entire stock to work on leos only.
                Yeah, that seems pretty balls-y and rash, to me. My crested collection isn't going anywhere.
                Currently working with R. ciliatus

Comment

Originally posted by Saille View Post
                  African FAt Tails. I love them. They're mellower overall yet still have the same adorable hunting patterns such as the tail waggle and pounce when going for crickets.
                  Fat tails are definitely fun to watch, especially when they hunt.
                  1.0.0 crested - Cuervo

Comment

I suspect that people move from Cresteds to Leos because they made enough money in Cresties to be able to afford high-end Leos. Leo morphs can be big money, but you really have to know what you're doing, because they don't hold value for long. Another good reason someone may sell off their cresties for leos is because of the space issue--you can house leopard geckos in simple snake rack systems. They do very well in racks, and that means you can keep a LOT of leos in that space. It's just much simpler to care for a rack full of leos than it is shelves loaded down with crestie cages.

Cresties aren't going anywhere, there are still plenty of breeders that love to work with them, but from a business perspective, they're more of a maintenance and husbandry challenge than leos are.
                    --Winged Wolf
                    Eclipse Exotics

Comment

Working...
                    X