Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Blood in beardie's stool...

Hey guys,

I came home from class just now to find that my beardie had a HUGE poop with some blood in it. He hadn't pooped in about ten days and I had been getting worried...what can I do to help with his constipation? I've never palpitated before; not even sure if that would help with this.

He seems totally normal otherwise...he's in the middle of shedding, and seems to be just as active as always. He eats Healthy Herp's Dragon Food every day and has mealworms every other day (which have not been a problem for me so far...but maybe they're what caused the constipation?), with crickets once every 7-14 days.

Any advice would be great. Thank you!!
    -Q
    2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

whats the age/wieght/length of the beardie? are you feeding any greens??
    1.0.1 crestie
    0.1.1 garg
    1.0. bearded dragon
    0.1 emperor scorpion

Comment

10 months old, just broke 100g, 14 inches long. He gets most of his greens from the formula I mentioned (they're re-hydrated), and occasional fresh collard greens and kale.
      2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

Comment

Generally a good soak in really warm (not hot) water will work wonders. put him in a container with water up to his neck and a little room to swim around. 20 minutes should do the trick. Also, if you CAN get the poop tested for parasites, do. Don't assume that a blockage put blood in the stool.
        Mike
        www.dragontownreptiles.com

Comment

IMO/IME: A fecal exam by a veterenarian is immediately in order any time you find blood a reptile's stool.

There are far too many possible (COMMON) problems to just assume it was from an intestinal blockage. Nematodes, pin-worms, tapeworms, thorny-headed (Acantocephalus) worms, amoeba or flagellated protozoan infections/infestations can all be a cause (just to name a few). None of these are to be overlooked!

Sincerely,
          Paul E. Turley

Comment

All excellent suggestions. I'll call around and see if I can get him tested. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
            X