How Often to Move a Beardie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Often to Move a Beardie

I was at a reptile show this past weekend and decided to pick up a juvenile (about 8 - 10") bearded dragon. Right now I am housing him in a 20 gallon tank, but this weekend I plan on building a new 4X2X2 enclosure with custom rockwork, the whole nine yards. It will probably take about a week to completely finish. I'd like to know how soon to move my new beardie into his permanent home.

The reason I ask, is because its been 4 days now as he is still rather inactive and not eating much. I know it takes a couple weeks for them adjust to a new surrounding, but I would hate for him to finally start coming around and then plop him into a new home and start the process all over again. Or will it be alright to do since the general surroundings of my house will be the same? How long should I wait?

What's the temperature in his tank? The inactivity could be due to low temps...My beardie refuses to eat when his tank is below 80F.
    2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

Comment

I'm not real concerned with the inactivity right now. I have read a lot saying that beardies stress quite easily when moved and will usually take a week or two to adjust. That being said is what leads me to my question. I don't want him to get settled in and then move him again and cause additional stress. Would it be better to keep him in the 20G for another month, or is it safe to go ahead and move him as soon as the cage is done in a week or so?

Comment

I would play it on the safe side and keep him in there for a month or six weeks.
        2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

Comment

Hey,
          I breed Beardies along with frillies and various gecko's, as far as beardies go,their shouldn't be very much delay in them eating at all,mine are constantly being moved from show to show,and are fed during the shows, so customers can watch them eat,and the fresh cut veggies they get everyday (this way our customers can see for them selves that they eat Veggies and just take our word that they do). Our customers stay in touch with us after the purchase,are beardies eat the same day thier taken home.
          you may want to get those temps up, 95ish, on one side of their enclosure,giving them a cool down area.
          your little guy will be fine in that 20 gal. for a little while yet.
          Joe M. www.dragonslare.com
          www.dragonslare.com
          1.4. Frilled Dragons, 4.5.0.15 Bearded Dragons, 1.4.31.24 Crested Geckos, 1.4.0.2 Halmahera Giant Geckos (marginata), 1.1. Gargoyle Geckos, 3.8.6.4 Leopard Geckos, 1.5.1.20 Chinese Cave Geckos, 2.1.2.4 Fat-Tail Geckos, 1.1. Mossy LeafTail Gecko's, 0.1 Henkeli LeafTail Gecko, 0.3. African Banded Velvet Gecko's, 0.0.2 Madagascan Giant Day Gecko's, 1.0. Veiled Chameleons, .1.1. Cyrtodactylus irianjayaensis 1.1. Cyrtodactylus intermedius 1.4.Tibetan Frog-Eyed Gecko's

Comment

Working...
          X