• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunar Gecko
    replied
    Originally posted by Maurice View Post
    You're also not my vet...
    If you're calling me a liar...I will scan my receipt for you.

Calm down no reason to take things personal. If it makes you feel better please post the receipt then unless no one else has anything constructive to say... I would like let this post drop. If not, I will have this thread locked or deleted.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Misskiwi67
    replied
    I would love to see that you had an immunofluorescent antibody test performed for 32.50...

I'm not saying you lied about what you paid, I'm saying you did not get the MOST SENSITIVE testing done, and therefore the leo's still need to be kept seperate from your cresteds... unless your gecko was anesthetized without your knowledge...

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    replied
    Originally posted by Misskiwi67 View Post
    The only way to determine if an animal has a subclinical infection (ie, could be a carrier) of cryptosporidiosis is via immunofluorescent antibody stain (a send-out test) of stomach fluid obtained by gastric lavage.

Just because your vet said they didn't APPEAR to have crypto doesn't mean they don't have it. It may not be their current problem, and I agree that its much more important for you to deal with the current issues at hand. It is still CRITICAL that you do not allow these geckos to come into contact with your crested geckos until more specific crypto testing has been done.

There is no way the most sensitive testing was done for 32.50... I charge more than that just for fecal testing, let alone an exam.

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    replied
    Thank you all so much for the kind words and support regardless.
    The important thing is that these geckos will be happy, safe and most of all HEALTHY!!!

I have to go back in a few weeks for a check up b/c Doug began to develop some swelling in his head behind his infected eye. The Doctor told me to keep an eye on it, and administer the antibiotics to see if that takes down the swelling. (she thinks it's from the eye infections, therefore the antibiotics will heal it as well) If it doesn't, then it needs to be lanced. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there. We don't want to do an unnecessary surgery.

And my vet is from STL. From the link Sal provided me the other day. :-)
    Herp visits were $20 - that included the samples done, and the meds were $12.50.
    If you don't believe me, I'll gladly scan the receipt. I couldn't believe it either...everywhere else wanted to charge $45 per gecko, plus meds, plus samples taken...I knew there had to be some where cheaper if I could find it, low and behold there was this Vet. I'll continue to go back to her and recommend her.

Leave a comment:

• Misskiwi67
    replied
    The only way to determine if an animal has a subclinical infection (ie, could be a carrier) of cryptosporidiosis is via immunofluorescent antibody stain (a send-out test) of stomach fluid obtained by gastric lavage.

Just because your vet said they didn't APPEAR to have crypto doesn't mean they don't have it. It may not be their current problem, and I agree that its much more important for you to deal with the current issues at hand. It is still CRITICAL that you do not allow these geckos to come into contact with your crested geckos until more specific crypto testing has been done.

There is no way the most sensitive testing was done for 32.50... I charge more than that just for fecal testing, let alone an exam.

Leave a comment:

• Lunar Gecko
    replied
    Thankfully, there is no sign of crypto and no worms or parasites to speak of.
    I was under the impression that crypo tests had to be out sourced and took days to run.
    Impression was the KEY word, Monica. Its been some time since Ive had a crypto test done. Im impressed if the science has move so far ahead as to be done in house in a few hours.

It dues not change anything if I misunderstood and the results were not in. Still great news & some vet shes got. Honestly I don't know why your upset.

Leave a comment:

• JMExotics
    replied
    Originally posted by Lunar Gecko View Post
    Wonderful news!

That must be some vet you've got. I was under the impression that crypo tests had to be out sourced and took days to run. Also the fact that you got two fecals and two blood tests done in one day is amazing! Not to even considering the two exams, two fecals, two blood tests, medication and eye drops all for one low price of $32.50. Amazing!

She did mention that there were NO SIGNS of... not the results were negative.... you guys need to be less harsh on some of the new people.. really

Leave a comment:

• Lunar Gecko
    replied
    Wonderful news!

That must be some vet you've got. I was under the impression that crypo tests had to be out sourced and took days to run. Also the fact that you got two fecals and two blood tests done in one day is amazing! Not to even considering the two exams, two fecals, two blood tests, medication and eye drops all for one low price of $32.50. Amazing!

Leave a comment:

• Saille
    replied
    That rocks, I'm glad to hear it. I didn't think their weighs were too bad, considering the rough shape of the mouth/eyes/stuck shed stuff.
    The only thing to be aware of is, Crypto can throw false negatives, because of the nature of the parasite. Does your vet have a lab there that can identify crypto? (mine all had to be sent to TX from WA state!) Considering how immuno-compromised they are though with how long they've been treated badly before you had got them, I would venture to say that if they did indeed have crypto, it would have shown up by now just based on the long term stress of the improper care, so I think your negative is probably a safe bet. All told, that is excellent news! I wish you best of luck with continued success with these kids, and thanks for the update!

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    replied
    So I went to he vet today with Kevin and Doug.
    She took blood and fecal samples from both to check for all possible infections, including crypto.
    Thankfully, there is no sign of crypto and no worms or parasites to speak of. However, there are slight infections in the mouths and definite eye infections. I have antibiotics to administer to both along with eye solutions to help clear up their eyes.
    She also commended me on how well reversed I was in their care and that the geckos are lucky I got to them and knew what to do.
    All of this for the small price of $32.50. What a vet bill, huh?

Leave a comment:

• Sublime Reptiles
    replied
    Shop owners will often feed people a line of BS. If the shop knew how to properly take care of these guys, they wouldnt be in the shape that thy are in now. I can tell you this from working in a pet store for 9 years, although I personally would never feed BS to the customer, my theory sell them on something else then something sick, not all places are like that. And yes toe issues can arise from bad sheds, but a broken tail often is not caused from that.

And getting them seperated was a step in the right direction for them healing so I am glad to see you gotten that taken care of. Like I stated in the other one, keep the cage clean, even if it means cleaning it daily, but still allow for a humid hide as it really is needed for healthy sheds. Try giving the crickets extra probiotics as a healthy cricket means a healthier gecko, and these guys could use it!

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinS View Post
    We get that, really we do. The stress of being housed together definitely isn't helping things considering the shape they're in though. So although it may not have been the cause of their problems, it is contributing to their continued decline. Simple solution-separate them.

You say you're not ignorant, you know what you're doing, you were prepared to give them the care they need, etc. Why then are they still housed together when it's such an easy fix to get a second container? You can get a perfectly suitable rubbermaid from walmart for less than $5. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you were really prepared to take in 2 leos in poor health, you'd have 2 enclosures.
    They are not housed together any more...I took care of that yesterday before I left for work, thank you.
    Not to mention, when I talked to the shoppe owner on the phone, she said it was just a simple shedding issue. With the shed stuck to them, as bad as that looked, you couldn't really see everything that was wrong.
    No one knew how bad it really was until I peeled the shed off Friday night and realized that it was in fact going to be more work than I initially thought. While it does look pretty bad, they are doing much better - eating, drinking, moving around.
    Last edited by Maurice; 02-21-2010, 04:55 PM. Reason: further explanation.

Leave a comment:

• KevinS
    replied
    To reiterate again: These are not wounds caused by each other from being housed together, these are wounds from sever shedding issues. When I pulled the shed off of these little guy's, this is what I was left with.
    *These are not wounds inflicted on each other.*
    We get that, really we do. The stress of being housed together definitely isn't helping things considering the shape they're in though. So although it may not have been the cause of their problems, it is contributing to their continued decline. Simple solution-separate them.

You say you're not ignorant, you know what you're doing, you were prepared to give them the care they need, etc. Why then are they still housed together when it's such an easy fix to get a second container? You can get a perfectly suitable rubbermaid from walmart for less than $5. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you were really prepared to take in 2 leos in poor health, you'd have 2 enclosures.

Leave a comment:

• Lunar Gecko
    replied
    Okay you want a story...

I worked with a reptile rescue and had to quit cause my heart could not take it anymore. People never think, OH lets get a pet today and not know anything about them. Let get something to neglect. Its heart breaking.

Don't get me wrong, a good deal of the animals did survive.Though in my experience the few who went from one home into anther 'helping' home ended up worse in the time it took them to get to us. Im not saying this is the case w/ you but I can only go from my own experience here. I dont want to feed you sunshine and tell you its going to be all ok-dokey. We are all trying to warn you, visual issues such as stuck shed and mouth rot (most like the case with the infection) tail loss and the eye infections can all be outward signs of internal problems. You dont have any other 'hot' geckos on your sig. So I cant say if you have any experience with them... So perhaps you are also missing behavior signs? Who knows. Just do your best to understand they may not make it or that the vet may bring up things such as impaction, hemorrhages, MBD or any of the other problems they could have. Be prepared for the worst and you can be relived when/if its not as bad as you thought.

Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    replied
    Trust me, I have taken the advice of others. Like I said before, I do not lack in common sense when it comes to the care of ill animals. I don't claim to know everything, nor should any one else here. Through everything that I've read over the last two days, the advice I received wasn't very different from what my original plan was to begin with. I just thought maybe *maybe* someone would have a great story to tell me about how they did almost the exact same thing and everything turned out fine and the leo's lived happily ever after.

Yes, I did get support for what I'm doing, which I appreciate greatly!

But the majority of what I got was negative input from people who don't know me from Eve. It hurt me in a way that I can't explain. It made me feel belittled and talked down to - like I had no clue what the heck I was doing and these animal's are going to die in my care. Which isn't the case at all...
    The mouth wounds are scabbed over - nice sign of healing. The eyes are clearing up, but not as fast as I would like. Yes!!! We're going to the Vet tomorrow. He will know exactly what I need to do and give me meds to administer to both of them. I will also have them checked for crypto just to be safe.

To reiterate again: These are not wounds caused by each other from being housed together, these are wounds from sever shedding issues. When I pulled the shed off of these little guy's, this is what I was left with.
    *These are not wounds inflicted on each other.*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X