Here's the deal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's the deal...

A local reptile store in my area, Tye Dyed Iguana, posts on it's FB page when reptiles have been brought into the store and are in need of a good home. Usually, these reptiles have some medical issue that the former owner didn't know how to handle, and probably caused by his/her own self...

Well, tonight one such post was up. Two leopard geckos, one adult one sub-adult, free to good home. Of course I call...I've been researching and wanting a leopard for a while now, but haven't had the money. They have what I can only describe as a mild to sever shedding problem. The sub-adult isn't as bad - it has shed around the mouth and all feet, including constricting one toe that I'm sure she's going to lose. The other is a little worse off...the shedding is mainly around the entire snout causing one eye to not open fully, it also appears that the shedding around the mouth has caused it to bleed under the shed. Vet visit might be in order after I get a better look at the adult.
    Right now they are both in a luke-warm bath, and I will be doing this nightly until all the shed is completely off. They are in a very nice Exo-Terra set up with a hiding spot and basking lamp, paper towel substrate. Meal-worms will be provided tomorrow evening after they have gotten over the initial shock of coming home with a good owner.

Any advice is appreciated.
    :-)
    -erica.
    3.2.0: Crested Geckos-Maurice. Calypso. Sun-Dance. Rodolfo. Sand-Storm.
    2.3.0: Box Turtles-Sheldon, Macho. Munch, Citrus, Scooter.
    1.1.2: Leopard Geckos- Doug. Kevin. Jango. Jaja.
    0.0.2: Green Iguanas- Darwin. Liberty.
    1.0.0: Pygmy Chameleon- Lafayette.

Have you ever had a leo lose it's tail.....I just did....
    -erica.

Comment

Please remember to keep them way away from your cresteds and never forget to wash your hands. Once I found out that leo's are high carriers of crypto, that there is no treatment and it can and will kill cresteds I would never let one in my home. Good luck getting them back to health.
      Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

First off, separate them immediately, there is too much of a size difference, and it will be more difficult to monitor each ones' health/bowel movements if they're housed together.
        A tail loss isn't a huge deal for a healthy leo, but in this case, I would recommend vet treatment becuase they both sound like they're in rough shape. The stress of a tail loss for an underweight or immunocompromised animal could be a death sentence for it.
        Try www.herpvetconnection.com or www.arav.com to find a reptile/exotics vet near you. Good luck!
        Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

So I hate to say it...but the problem was worse than any one realized...
          When I peeled the shed off of the adult leo, i didn't realize it had infected the mouth as well. When I pulled it off, I pulled the infection out of the mouth leaving it bleeding.
          Most of the toes are either gone or half there on both geckos, and the one lost most of it's tail. Not to mention both leo's have eye infections and a whole bunch of puss...
          :baffled2:
          What have I gotten myself into?
          At least they have a fighting chance now.
          -erica.

Comment

They need a vet as fast as you can get them there! Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by laura View Post
              They need a vet as fast as you can get them there! Good luck and keep us posted.
              As soon as I can get them there, they're going!
              They both survived the night, and are seemingly doing better.
              The toes that were constricted look a little better this morning, but there are some that haven't fallen off yet that surely will. Eyes look a little better, and the mouths aren't nearly as swollen, but they still need to be hand fed.

Please leave me you're good thoughts and all your light. They need it so badly.
              -erica.

Comment

Sending lots of good healing light filled thoughts your way!!! Poor things!

Comment

Any animal gained for free is going to cost you more at the vet than it would normally have cost you at the store with all its set up and needs. Pet stores only give away an animal if its out of there price range to get fixed up and sell. Basically if its gonna be to big of a cost to them.

ie Someone drops off an iguana at the store. Let say the store sells iguanas for $20. This iguana has an eye problem and needs to go to the vet the vet trip alone is gonna cost the store $60. This means that the store will give the animal away for free to save themselves the cost.

In the future if you ever want to get an animal but the retail value of that animal is out of your range I suggest a rescue group. Most groups are gonna charge you a fee but these fees covers a % of any vet visit the animal has had to have. Also the members of these groups know what they are doing and how to take care of the animals.

Best of luck with your leos. Get them to the vet and just take this as the lesson it is.

Very rarely will you ever get something for nothing.
                  Sarah & Jake
                  LunarGecko.net
                  Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
                  You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar Gecko View Post

Best of luck with your leos. Get them to the vet and just take this as the lesson it is.

Very rarely will you ever get something for nothing.

Lesson learned?
                    No...I knew going in that these geckos were probably going to need vet attention for an infection, however, they were going any way just for a regular check up. If I didn't feel like I could have taken them on, then I wouldn't have even bothered calling the reptile store to begin with. You do not know the policies of the reptile store I got them from, so no...it wasn't out of their price range to get them vet attention, they just give rescue lizards to those who will take care of them and will give them the proper care for whatever issues it may have. This wasn't a PetCo or PetSmart either...
                    Yes, the problems were worse than I or even the owner of the shoppe realized. Providing the finances to get these geckos the proper vet care is not an issue either as it stands. TDI takes very good care of all of their reptiles and only gives the rescues to people they know will take care of them, also a discount on anything that person may need for the rescued animal.
                    -erica.

Comment

Have you separated them yet? How are they doing? When do they get to go to the vet?
                      While yes, they look in rough shape, I think they're going to be fine with proper care (provided they don't already have a crypto load) as their weights don't actually look bad(hopefully not impacted though?).
                      Good luck with them, please keep us updated!
                      Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

They are doing well - sleeping for now.
                        I don't have anything to keep them separate in right now, so they are staying together for just a little bit longer.
                        Vet will be seen Monday as he is not open today or Sunday. :-(
                        -erica.

Comment

If they're in a tank together, you can rig up a temporary wall using posterboard cut to fit, thus dividing the tank in half. They absolutely need to be separated, their injuries and infections need to be kept apart from each other so no additional damage is done, accidentally or otherwise.

Those two are not looking good, the head infection needs to be dealt with ASAP. I suggest putting a little aquarium salt(NOT iodized table salt) or getting some pedialyte to help gently bathe the wounds. Salt or organic honey are great antibacterials in a pinch(not a substitute to a professional vet visit). Just make sure after gently rinsing the wounds that you let them dry and scab over, and haul them to the vet when you can.

Personally, I would not pick up free, sick, and needy reptiles that I'm not familiar with the species in the future, because you can potentially make things worse in ignorance, even with good intentions. Best of luck to the leos.
                          ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
                          7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice View Post
                            Lesson learned?
                            No...I knew going in that these geckos were probably going to need vet attention for an infection, however, they were going any way just for a regular check up. If I didn't feel like I could have taken them on, then I wouldn't have even bothered calling the reptile store to begin with. You do not know the policies of the reptile store I got them from, so no...it wasn't out of their price range to get them vet attention, they just give rescue lizards to those who will take care of them and will give them the proper care for whatever issues it may have. This wasn't a PetCo or PetSmart either...
                            Yes, the problems were worse than I or even the owner of the shoppe realized. Providing the finances to get these geckos the proper vet care is not an issue either as it stands. TDI takes very good care of all of their reptiles and only gives the rescues to people they know will take care of them, also a discount on anything that person may need for the rescued animal.
                            I am aware of how it works having run a reptile department (for many years) at a privately owned pet store that has revived many awards for excellence in animal care. I also know that it still comes down to a bottom line. Bottom line being (in case you have not taken economics, I dont know your level of education) is... will this animal make back all the money thats spent on it? If any one animal costs them $100 in vet bills they would have to sell it for well over $100 to make it worth the time and money being spent on that animal. Considering you can, at times, get wholesale leos for $10 or less from distributors its in no way cost effective to keep it and try and sell it after the $ for the vet. Noone will buy a scared up possible MBD Leo for $100+ when they also have cute baby ones for $45 in the next tank over. Not bringing into the fact that having a sick animal on the floor when customers can see it drives away business. Space is always a commodity in buisness.

If they took proper care of all the drop off sick herps they got they would go out of business. BUT in turning animals over to customers, for free, who in turn will continue to shop with them by buying food and replacing lights plus also getting an animal out of the store (that will cost them money and take up space) its a win win case for them. This is why they dont turn animals over to rescues unless they must. Rescues tend to buy whole sale or in bulk. No reason to go to a pet store whos prices are generally much higher than buying on the Internet, though sometime they do work out deals with stores.

Dont get me wrong Im not saying you got taken or coned. Im just explaining how it works. You had said in your top post..
                            I've been researching and wanting a leopard for a while now, but haven't had the money
                            So reading that I assumed that was the case but reading that also lead me to believe that you don't have the money for a vet trip, including medication, for two geckos. Considering that it tends to run in the 100's just for one animal. So I was trying to explain that next time maybe think the possess through a bit more and understand that any animal for free has a great chance of costing you much more then one bought at full price.

But if I'm wrong in this case or misunderstood you in some way, I apologize.

I really hope your geckos get better. I'm happy they ended up in a home that will care for them as best as they can.
                            Sarah & Jake
                            LunarGecko.net
                            Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
                            You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Comment

If you still have shed issues put them in a tupperware container with moist/wet paper towel. Put it near or over the heat tape/heat source for @ 1/2 hour. It should help loosen the stuck shed. As to the mouth infection you can use peroxide on a Qtip or some bacitracine antibiotic ointment on the open wound. Dont use the type with pain reliver. It chould help you get a jump on the infection till mon.
                              Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X