No announcement yet.

Here's the deal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way to determine if an animal has a subclinical infection (ie, could be a carrier) of cryptosporidiosis is via immunofluorescent antibody stain (a send-out test) of stomach fluid obtained by gastric lavage.

Just because your vet said they didn't APPEAR to have crypto doesn't mean they don't have it. It may not be their current problem, and I agree that its much more important for you to deal with the current issues at hand. It is still CRITICAL that you do not allow these geckos to come into contact with your crested geckos until more specific crypto testing has been done.

There is no way the most sensitive testing was done for 32.50... I charge more than that just for fecal testing, let alone an exam.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Comment

Thank you all so much for the kind words and support regardless.
      The important thing is that these geckos will be happy, safe and most of all HEALTHY!!!

I have to go back in a few weeks for a check up b/c Doug began to develop some swelling in his head behind his infected eye. The Doctor told me to keep an eye on it, and administer the antibiotics to see if that takes down the swelling. (she thinks it's from the eye infections, therefore the antibiotics will heal it as well) If it doesn't, then it needs to be lanced. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there. We don't want to do an unnecessary surgery.

And my vet is from STL. From the link Sal provided me the other day. :-)
      Herp visits were $20 - that included the samples done, and the meds were $12.50.
      If you don't believe me, I'll gladly scan the receipt. I couldn't believe it either...everywhere else wanted to charge $45 per gecko, plus meds, plus samples taken...I knew there had to be some where cheaper if I could find it, low and behold there was this Vet. I'll continue to go back to her and recommend her.
      -erica.
      3.2.0: Crested Geckos-Maurice. Calypso. Sun-Dance. Rodolfo. Sand-Storm.
      2.3.0: Box Turtles-Sheldon, Macho. Munch, Citrus, Scooter.
      1.1.2: Leopard Geckos- Doug. Kevin. Jango. Jaja.
      0.0.2: Green Iguanas- Darwin. Liberty.
      1.0.0: Pygmy Chameleon- Lafayette.

Comment

Originally posted by Misskiwi67 View Post
        The only way to determine if an animal has a subclinical infection (ie, could be a carrier) of cryptosporidiosis is via immunofluorescent antibody stain (a send-out test) of stomach fluid obtained by gastric lavage.

Just because your vet said they didn't APPEAR to have crypto doesn't mean they don't have it. It may not be their current problem, and I agree that its much more important for you to deal with the current issues at hand. It is still CRITICAL that you do not allow these geckos to come into contact with your crested geckos until more specific crypto testing has been done.

There is no way the most sensitive testing was done for 32.50... I charge more than that just for fecal testing, let alone an exam.

You're also not my vet...
        If you're calling me a liar...I will scan my receipt for you.
        -erica.
        3.2.0: Crested Geckos-Maurice. Calypso. Sun-Dance. Rodolfo. Sand-Storm.
        2.3.0: Box Turtles-Sheldon, Macho. Munch, Citrus, Scooter.
        1.1.2: Leopard Geckos- Doug. Kevin. Jango. Jaja.
        0.0.2: Green Iguanas- Darwin. Liberty.
        1.0.0: Pygmy Chameleon- Lafayette.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice View Post
          I would love to see that you had an immunofluorescent antibody test performed for 32.50...

I'm not saying you lied about what you paid, I'm saying you did not get the MOST SENSITIVE testing done, and therefore the leo's still need to be kept seperate from your cresteds... unless your gecko was anesthetized without your knowledge...
          www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
          Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
          3.9.20+ crested geckos
          Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
          Pickle - unsexed leachie

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice View Post

Calm down no reason to take things personal. If it makes you feel better please post the receipt then unless no one else has anything constructive to say... I would like let this post drop. If not, I will have this thread locked or deleted.

Thanks.
            Sarah & Jake
            LunarGecko.net
            Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
            You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Comment

Working...
            X