Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maurice
    replied
    So I hate to say it...but the problem was worse than any one realized...
    When I peeled the shed off of the adult leo, i didn't realize it had infected the mouth as well. When I pulled it off, I pulled the infection out of the mouth leaving it bleeding.
    Most of the toes are either gone or half there on both geckos, and the one lost most of it's tail. Not to mention both leo's have eye infections and a whole bunch of puss...
    :baffled2:
    What have I gotten myself into?
    At least they have a fighting chance now.

Leave a comment:

• Saille
    replied
    First off, separate them immediately, there is too much of a size difference, and it will be more difficult to monitor each ones' health/bowel movements if they're housed together.
    A tail loss isn't a huge deal for a healthy leo, but in this case, I would recommend vet treatment becuase they both sound like they're in rough shape. The stress of a tail loss for an underweight or immunocompromised animal could be a death sentence for it.
    Try www.herpvetconnection.com or www.arav.com to find a reptile/exotics vet near you. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• laura
    replied
    Please remember to keep them way away from your cresteds and never forget to wash your hands. Once I found out that leo's are high carriers of crypto, that there is no treatment and it can and will kill cresteds I would never let one in my home. Good luck getting them back to health.

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    replied
    Have you ever had a leo lose it's tail.....I just did....

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    started a topic Here's the deal...

Here's the deal...

A local reptile store in my area, Tye Dyed Iguana, posts on it's FB page when reptiles have been brought into the store and are in need of a good home. Usually, these reptiles have some medical issue that the former owner didn't know how to handle, and probably caused by his/her own self...

Well, tonight one such post was up. Two leopard geckos, one adult one sub-adult, free to good home. Of course I call...I've been researching and wanting a leopard for a while now, but haven't had the money. They have what I can only describe as a mild to sever shedding problem. The sub-adult isn't as bad - it has shed around the mouth and all feet, including constricting one toe that I'm sure she's going to lose. The other is a little worse off...the shedding is mainly around the entire snout causing one eye to not open fully, it also appears that the shedding around the mouth has caused it to bleed under the shed. Vet visit might be in order after I get a better look at the adult.
    Right now they are both in a luke-warm bath, and I will be doing this nightly until all the shed is completely off. They are in a very nice Exo-Terra set up with a hiding spot and basking lamp, paper towel substrate. Meal-worms will be provided tomorrow evening after they have gotten over the initial shock of coming home with a good owner.

Any advice is appreciated.
    :-)
Working...
X