Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laura
    replied
    Ok people are trying to give you the help you asked for. We are all a close community here on pangea and yelling (all caps) or basically calling someone stupid isn't ok. Please relax and take a breath! No one is attacking you they are giving you advice from their experience. You admitted never having these animals before please take advantage of the wealth of information people here have, you and your animals will be better off for it.
    Last edited by laura; 02-23-2010, 12:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    replied
    Originally posted by thongwedgie View Post
    Just because you have nothing to seperate them for now, sorry to be mean but that is no excuse, what is best for them is to be seperated, as I said in the other thread, they look like this because they are housed together, not because magically they became injured for no reason. Something as simple as a long vrs tall storage container, which you can buy for a few bucks will work, and attach an under tank heater to one side and decorate the same as you would for any aquarium. It only needs to be the size of the floor space of a 10 gallon, so it wont be anything big. I stress, seriously, utterly, they need to be seperated, it only takes one moment for what seems like a happy couple to get into an argument and one of them gets hurt again.

Like Saille said, you are trying to give you the best advice outside of vet care from personal experience, not from out of our bums.
    THEY DO NOT LOOK LIKE THIS B/C THEY WERE HOUSED TOGETHER....
    Did you not read at all?
    Go educate yourself....please.
    They look like this b/c of a very bad shed. Multiple layers of shed built up over idk how long have done this to them. I know b/c I was the one to pull the shed off of them. This is not b/c they were housed together, that has nothing to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• Sublime Reptiles
    replied
    Just because you have nothing to seperate them for now, sorry to be mean but that is no excuse, what is best for them is to be seperated, as I said in the other thread, they look like this because they are housed together, not because magically they became injured for no reason. Something as simple as a long vrs tall storage container, which you can buy for a few bucks will work, and attach an under tank heater to one side and decorate the same as you would for any aquarium. It only needs to be the size of the floor space of a 10 gallon, so it wont be anything big. I stress, seriously, utterly, they need to be seperated, it only takes one moment for what seems like a happy couple to get into an argument and one of them gets hurt again.

Like Saille said, you are trying to give you the best advice outside of vet care from personal experience, not from out of our bums.

Leave a comment:

• Saille
    replied
    Maurice, we've all had varying experiences with rescues. Personally, in my case, it ended in heartbreak with several leos, despite having access to some excellent herp vets that reside in my area. I am trying to save you some of the heartache I went through when I rescued some leos, which is why I recommended separating them so adamantly.
    I think its awesome that you care and want to provide the best for these guys. And the best thing is, IMHO, your two both appear in much better shape weight wise than the leos I had rescued. Yes, experience is the best teacher and we all have to walk our own path, I personally don't criticize you for taking them on, I think people are trying to help you see the potential reality of rescuing and maybe its not coming across that they're trying to help you. Please try not to be defensive, really, we ALL want the same thing. Healthy happy animals with a happy ending that were given the best chance possible.
    I'm certainly not in this for the money!!

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    replied
    All I'm getting from most of you is that i shouldn't have taken these geckos on b.c i had no experience with them...
    how am i then suppose to gain experience? the wounds look worse than what they are - both geckos are eating, drinking and moving around. Yes, they are injured, yes they need vet attention....when I said I didn't have the money to buy a leo, my b/f and i were looking at very expensive geckos from theurbangecko.com A vet visit runs much cheaper than that...
    I am not ignorant when it comes to the care of my reptiles. I realize that I don't know everything, but I do have common sense and that's enough to take care of anything. The people who had these leo's before me obviously lacked in sense, otherwise I would not have them now.
    I don't care if my geckos make me any kind of money, that's not why I wanted them. I wanted them for my own personal happiness. Keeping these animals makes me happy in a way that you obviously don't understand. To me, this isn't a business - and yes, I am very educated and intelligent.

Leave a comment:

• Steve905
    replied
    If you still have shed issues put them in a tupperware container with moist/wet paper towel. Put it near or over the heat tape/heat source for @ 1/2 hour. It should help loosen the stuck shed. As to the mouth infection you can use peroxide on a Qtip or some bacitracine antibiotic ointment on the open wound. Dont use the type with pain reliver. It chould help you get a jump on the infection till mon.
    Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• Lunar Gecko
    replied
    Originally posted by Maurice View Post
    Lesson learned?
    No...I knew going in that these geckos were probably going to need vet attention for an infection, however, they were going any way just for a regular check up. If I didn't feel like I could have taken them on, then I wouldn't have even bothered calling the reptile store to begin with. You do not know the policies of the reptile store I got them from, so no...it wasn't out of their price range to get them vet attention, they just give rescue lizards to those who will take care of them and will give them the proper care for whatever issues it may have. This wasn't a PetCo or PetSmart either...
    Yes, the problems were worse than I or even the owner of the shoppe realized. Providing the finances to get these geckos the proper vet care is not an issue either as it stands. TDI takes very good care of all of their reptiles and only gives the rescues to people they know will take care of them, also a discount on anything that person may need for the rescued animal.
    I am aware of how it works having run a reptile department (for many years) at a privately owned pet store that has revived many awards for excellence in animal care. I also know that it still comes down to a bottom line. Bottom line being (in case you have not taken economics, I dont know your level of education) is... will this animal make back all the money thats spent on it? If any one animal costs them $100 in vet bills they would have to sell it for well over $100 to make it worth the time and money being spent on that animal. Considering you can, at times, get wholesale leos for $10 or less from distributors its in no way cost effective to keep it and try and sell it after the $ for the vet. Noone will buy a scared up possible MBD Leo for $100+ when they also have cute baby ones for $45 in the next tank over. Not bringing into the fact that having a sick animal on the floor when customers can see it drives away business. Space is always a commodity in buisness.

If they took proper care of all the drop off sick herps they got they would go out of business. BUT in turning animals over to customers, for free, who in turn will continue to shop with them by buying food and replacing lights plus also getting an animal out of the store (that will cost them money and take up space) its a win win case for them. This is why they dont turn animals over to rescues unless they must. Rescues tend to buy whole sale or in bulk. No reason to go to a pet store whos prices are generally much higher than buying on the Internet, though sometime they do work out deals with stores.

Dont get me wrong Im not saying you got taken or coned. Im just explaining how it works. You had said in your top post..
    I've been researching and wanting a leopard for a while now, but haven't had the money
    So reading that I assumed that was the case but reading that also lead me to believe that you don't have the money for a vet trip, including medication, for two geckos. Considering that it tends to run in the 100's just for one animal. So I was trying to explain that next time maybe think the possess through a bit more and understand that any animal for free has a great chance of costing you much more then one bought at full price.

But if I'm wrong in this case or misunderstood you in some way, I apologize.

I really hope your geckos get better. I'm happy they ended up in a home that will care for them as best as they can.

Leave a comment:

• Ihkura
    replied
    If they're in a tank together, you can rig up a temporary wall using posterboard cut to fit, thus dividing the tank in half. They absolutely need to be separated, their injuries and infections need to be kept apart from each other so no additional damage is done, accidentally or otherwise.

Those two are not looking good, the head infection needs to be dealt with ASAP. I suggest putting a little aquarium salt(NOT iodized table salt) or getting some pedialyte to help gently bathe the wounds. Salt or organic honey are great antibacterials in a pinch(not a substitute to a professional vet visit). Just make sure after gently rinsing the wounds that you let them dry and scab over, and haul them to the vet when you can.

Personally, I would not pick up free, sick, and needy reptiles that I'm not familiar with the species in the future, because you can potentially make things worse in ignorance, even with good intentions. Best of luck to the leos.

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    replied
    They are doing well - sleeping for now.
    I don't have anything to keep them separate in right now, so they are staying together for just a little bit longer.
    Vet will be seen Monday as he is not open today or Sunday. :-(

Leave a comment:

• Saille
    replied
    Have you separated them yet? How are they doing? When do they get to go to the vet?
    While yes, they look in rough shape, I think they're going to be fine with proper care (provided they don't already have a crypto load) as their weights don't actually look bad(hopefully not impacted though?).
    Good luck with them, please keep us updated!

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    replied
    Originally posted by Lunar Gecko View Post

Best of luck with your leos. Get them to the vet and just take this as the lesson it is.

Very rarely will you ever get something for nothing.

Lesson learned?
    No...I knew going in that these geckos were probably going to need vet attention for an infection, however, they were going any way just for a regular check up. If I didn't feel like I could have taken them on, then I wouldn't have even bothered calling the reptile store to begin with. You do not know the policies of the reptile store I got them from, so no...it wasn't out of their price range to get them vet attention, they just give rescue lizards to those who will take care of them and will give them the proper care for whatever issues it may have. This wasn't a PetCo or PetSmart either...
    Yes, the problems were worse than I or even the owner of the shoppe realized. Providing the finances to get these geckos the proper vet care is not an issue either as it stands. TDI takes very good care of all of their reptiles and only gives the rescues to people they know will take care of them, also a discount on anything that person may need for the rescued animal.

Leave a comment:

• Lunar Gecko
    replied
    Any animal gained for free is going to cost you more at the vet than it would normally have cost you at the store with all its set up and needs. Pet stores only give away an animal if its out of there price range to get fixed up and sell. Basically if its gonna be to big of a cost to them.

ie Someone drops off an iguana at the store. Let say the store sells iguanas for $20. This iguana has an eye problem and needs to go to the vet the vet trip alone is gonna cost the store $60. This means that the store will give the animal away for free to save themselves the cost.

In the future if you ever want to get an animal but the retail value of that animal is out of your range I suggest a rescue group. Most groups are gonna charge you a fee but these fees covers a % of any vet visit the animal has had to have. Also the members of these groups know what they are doing and how to take care of the animals.

Best of luck with your leos. Get them to the vet and just take this as the lesson it is.

Very rarely will you ever get something for nothing.

Leave a comment:

• laura
    replied
    Sending lots of good healing light filled thoughts your way!!! Poor things!

Leave a comment:

• Maurice
    replied
    Originally posted by laura View Post
    They need a vet as fast as you can get them there! Good luck and keep us posted.
    As soon as I can get them there, they're going!
    They both survived the night, and are seemingly doing better.
    The toes that were constricted look a little better this morning, but there are some that haven't fallen off yet that surely will. Eyes look a little better, and the mouths aren't nearly as swollen, but they still need to be hand fed.

Please leave me you're good thoughts and all your light. They need it so badly.

Leave a comment:

• laura
    replied
    They need a vet as fast as you can get them there! Good luck and keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X