No announcement yet.

Here's the deal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I'm getting from most of you is that i shouldn't have taken these geckos on b.c i had no experience with them...
    how am i then suppose to gain experience? the wounds look worse than what they are - both geckos are eating, drinking and moving around. Yes, they are injured, yes they need vet attention....when I said I didn't have the money to buy a leo, my b/f and i were looking at very expensive geckos from theurbangecko.com A vet visit runs much cheaper than that...
    I am not ignorant when it comes to the care of my reptiles. I realize that I don't know everything, but I do have common sense and that's enough to take care of anything. The people who had these leo's before me obviously lacked in sense, otherwise I would not have them now.
    I don't care if my geckos make me any kind of money, that's not why I wanted them. I wanted them for my own personal happiness. Keeping these animals makes me happy in a way that you obviously don't understand. To me, this isn't a business - and yes, I am very educated and intelligent.
    -erica.
    3.2.0: Crested Geckos-Maurice. Calypso. Sun-Dance. Rodolfo. Sand-Storm.
    2.3.0: Box Turtles-Sheldon, Macho. Munch, Citrus, Scooter.
    1.1.2: Leopard Geckos- Doug. Kevin. Jango. Jaja.
    0.0.2: Green Iguanas- Darwin. Liberty.
    1.0.0: Pygmy Chameleon- Lafayette.

Comment

Maurice, we've all had varying experiences with rescues. Personally, in my case, it ended in heartbreak with several leos, despite having access to some excellent herp vets that reside in my area. I am trying to save you some of the heartache I went through when I rescued some leos, which is why I recommended separating them so adamantly.
      I think its awesome that you care and want to provide the best for these guys. And the best thing is, IMHO, your two both appear in much better shape weight wise than the leos I had rescued. Yes, experience is the best teacher and we all have to walk our own path, I personally don't criticize you for taking them on, I think people are trying to help you see the potential reality of rescuing and maybe its not coming across that they're trying to help you. Please try not to be defensive, really, we ALL want the same thing. Healthy happy animals with a happy ending that were given the best chance possible.
      I'm certainly not in this for the money!!
      Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Just because you have nothing to seperate them for now, sorry to be mean but that is no excuse, what is best for them is to be seperated, as I said in the other thread, they look like this because they are housed together, not because magically they became injured for no reason. Something as simple as a long vrs tall storage container, which you can buy for a few bucks will work, and attach an under tank heater to one side and decorate the same as you would for any aquarium. It only needs to be the size of the floor space of a 10 gallon, so it wont be anything big. I stress, seriously, utterly, they need to be seperated, it only takes one moment for what seems like a happy couple to get into an argument and one of them gets hurt again.

Like Saille said, you are trying to give you the best advice outside of vet care from personal experience, not from out of our bums.
        lets just say I have a lot of stuff
        www.sublimereptiles.com
        Facebook
        BOI

Comment

Originally posted by thongwedgie View Post
          Just because you have nothing to seperate them for now, sorry to be mean but that is no excuse, what is best for them is to be seperated, as I said in the other thread, they look like this because they are housed together, not because magically they became injured for no reason. Something as simple as a long vrs tall storage container, which you can buy for a few bucks will work, and attach an under tank heater to one side and decorate the same as you would for any aquarium. It only needs to be the size of the floor space of a 10 gallon, so it wont be anything big. I stress, seriously, utterly, they need to be seperated, it only takes one moment for what seems like a happy couple to get into an argument and one of them gets hurt again.

Like Saille said, you are trying to give you the best advice outside of vet care from personal experience, not from out of our bums.
          THEY DO NOT LOOK LIKE THIS B/C THEY WERE HOUSED TOGETHER....
          Did you not read at all?
          Go educate yourself....please.
          They look like this b/c of a very bad shed. Multiple layers of shed built up over idk how long have done this to them. I know b/c I was the one to pull the shed off of them. This is not b/c they were housed together, that has nothing to do with it.
          -erica.

Comment

Ok people are trying to give you the help you asked for. We are all a close community here on pangea and yelling (all caps) or basically calling someone stupid isn't ok. Please relax and take a breath! No one is attacking you they are giving you advice from their experience. You admitted never having these animals before please take advantage of the wealth of information people here have, you and your animals will be better off for it.
            Last edited by laura; 02-23-2010, 12:08 AM.
            Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

Trust me, I have taken the advice of others. Like I said before, I do not lack in common sense when it comes to the care of ill animals. I don't claim to know everything, nor should any one else here. Through everything that I've read over the last two days, the advice I received wasn't very different from what my original plan was to begin with. I just thought maybe *maybe* someone would have a great story to tell me about how they did almost the exact same thing and everything turned out fine and the leo's lived happily ever after.

Yes, I did get support for what I'm doing, which I appreciate greatly!

But the majority of what I got was negative input from people who don't know me from Eve. It hurt me in a way that I can't explain. It made me feel belittled and talked down to - like I had no clue what the heck I was doing and these animal's are going to die in my care. Which isn't the case at all...
              The mouth wounds are scabbed over - nice sign of healing. The eyes are clearing up, but not as fast as I would like. Yes!!! We're going to the Vet tomorrow. He will know exactly what I need to do and give me meds to administer to both of them. I will also have them checked for crypto just to be safe.

To reiterate again: These are not wounds caused by each other from being housed together, these are wounds from sever shedding issues. When I pulled the shed off of these little guy's, this is what I was left with.
              *These are not wounds inflicted on each other.*
              -erica.

Comment

Okay you want a story...

I worked with a reptile rescue and had to quit cause my heart could not take it anymore. People never think, OH lets get a pet today and not know anything about them. Let get something to neglect. Its heart breaking.

Don't get me wrong, a good deal of the animals did survive.Though in my experience the few who went from one home into anther 'helping' home ended up worse in the time it took them to get to us. Im not saying this is the case w/ you but I can only go from my own experience here. I dont want to feed you sunshine and tell you its going to be all ok-dokey. We are all trying to warn you, visual issues such as stuck shed and mouth rot (most like the case with the infection) tail loss and the eye infections can all be outward signs of internal problems. You dont have any other 'hot' geckos on your sig. So I cant say if you have any experience with them... So perhaps you are also missing behavior signs? Who knows. Just do your best to understand they may not make it or that the vet may bring up things such as impaction, hemorrhages, MBD or any of the other problems they could have. Be prepared for the worst and you can be relived when/if its not as bad as you thought.

Best of luck.
                Sarah & Jake
                LunarGecko.net
                Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
                You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice View Post
                  To reiterate again: These are not wounds caused by each other from being housed together, these are wounds from sever shedding issues. When I pulled the shed off of these little guy's, this is what I was left with.
                  *These are not wounds inflicted on each other.*
                  We get that, really we do. The stress of being housed together definitely isn't helping things considering the shape they're in though. So although it may not have been the cause of their problems, it is contributing to their continued decline. Simple solution-separate them.

You say you're not ignorant, you know what you're doing, you were prepared to give them the care they need, etc. Why then are they still housed together when it's such an easy fix to get a second container? You can get a perfectly suitable rubbermaid from walmart for less than $5. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you were really prepared to take in 2 leos in poor health, you'd have 2 enclosures.
                  http://www.facebook.com/appalachian.ectotherms

Comment

Originally posted by KevinS View Post
                    We get that, really we do. The stress of being housed together definitely isn't helping things considering the shape they're in though. So although it may not have been the cause of their problems, it is contributing to their continued decline. Simple solution-separate them.

You say you're not ignorant, you know what you're doing, you were prepared to give them the care they need, etc. Why then are they still housed together when it's such an easy fix to get a second container? You can get a perfectly suitable rubbermaid from walmart for less than $5. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you were really prepared to take in 2 leos in poor health, you'd have 2 enclosures.
                    They are not housed together any more...I took care of that yesterday before I left for work, thank you.
                    Not to mention, when I talked to the shoppe owner on the phone, she said it was just a simple shedding issue. With the shed stuck to them, as bad as that looked, you couldn't really see everything that was wrong.
                    No one knew how bad it really was until I peeled the shed off Friday night and realized that it was in fact going to be more work than I initially thought. While it does look pretty bad, they are doing much better - eating, drinking, moving around.
                    Last edited by Maurice; 02-21-2010, 04:55 PM. Reason: further explanation.
                    -erica.

Comment

Shop owners will often feed people a line of BS. If the shop knew how to properly take care of these guys, they wouldnt be in the shape that thy are in now. I can tell you this from working in a pet store for 9 years, although I personally would never feed BS to the customer, my theory sell them on something else then something sick, not all places are like that. And yes toe issues can arise from bad sheds, but a broken tail often is not caused from that.

And getting them seperated was a step in the right direction for them healing so I am glad to see you gotten that taken care of. Like I stated in the other one, keep the cage clean, even if it means cleaning it daily, but still allow for a humid hide as it really is needed for healthy sheds. Try giving the crickets extra probiotics as a healthy cricket means a healthier gecko, and these guys could use it!
                      lets just say I have a lot of stuff
                      www.sublimereptiles.com
                      Facebook
                      BOI

Comment

So I went to he vet today with Kevin and Doug.
                        She took blood and fecal samples from both to check for all possible infections, including crypto.
                        Thankfully, there is no sign of crypto and no worms or parasites to speak of. However, there are slight infections in the mouths and definite eye infections. I have antibiotics to administer to both along with eye solutions to help clear up their eyes.
                        She also commended me on how well reversed I was in their care and that the geckos are lucky I got to them and knew what to do.
                        All of this for the small price of $32.50. What a vet bill, huh?
                        -erica.

Comment

That rocks, I'm glad to hear it. I didn't think their weighs were too bad, considering the rough shape of the mouth/eyes/stuck shed stuff.
                          The only thing to be aware of is, Crypto can throw false negatives, because of the nature of the parasite. Does your vet have a lab there that can identify crypto? (mine all had to be sent to TX from WA state!) Considering how immuno-compromised they are though with how long they've been treated badly before you had got them, I would venture to say that if they did indeed have crypto, it would have shown up by now just based on the long term stress of the improper care, so I think your negative is probably a safe bet. All told, that is excellent news! I wish you best of luck with continued success with these kids, and thanks for the update!
                          Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Wonderful news!

That must be some vet you've got. I was under the impression that crypo tests had to be out sourced and took days to run. Also the fact that you got two fecals and two blood tests done in one day is amazing! Not to even considering the two exams, two fecals, two blood tests, medication and eye drops all for one low price of $32.50. Amazing!

Sarah & Jake
                            LunarGecko.net

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar Gecko View Post
                              Wonderful news!

That must be some vet you've got. I was under the impression that crypo tests had to be out sourced and took days to run. Also the fact that you got two fecals and two blood tests done in one day is amazing! Not to even considering the two exams, two fecals, two blood tests, medication and eye drops all for one low price of $32.50. Amazing!

She did mention that there were NO SIGNS of... not the results were negative.... you guys need to be less harsh on some of the new people.. really
                              Monica Elrod
                              JM Geckos & Exotics
                              Greenville, SC

Comment

Thankfully, there is no sign of crypto and no worms or parasites to speak of.
                                I was under the impression that crypo tests had to be out sourced and took days to run.
                                Impression was the KEY word, Monica. Its been some time since Ive had a crypto test done. Im impressed if the science has move so far ahead as to be done in house in a few hours.

It dues not change anything if I misunderstood and the results were not in. Still great news & some vet shes got. Honestly I don't know why your upset.

Sarah & Jake
                                LunarGecko.net

Comment

Working...
                                X