Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HALP!! Rescue Leo.

Hey all,

Today my GF and I rescued a Leo that is in dire straights. Please review the pics and tell me what I need to do. I have him on p-towels and I have his tank set to the proper temps. I have one crested that is very healthy but I am still rather new to reptile keeping and need veterans opinions on this guy (his name is Mr. Wiggles), he needs some serious TLC. His eyes are closed shut and he has stuck shed on his face and feet, what is the best way to go about removing this? Can I ever get him to see again?

Please, I feel terrible, any help is greatly appreciated.

1.0.0 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus: Mitsurugi
    1.0.0 Rescue Leo: Mr. Wiggles (please visit this thread, I need all the help I can get)

Dreaming of that face again, It's bright and blue and shimmering... Grinning wide and comforting me with its three warm and wild eyes Third Eye -- tool

first thing to do would be soak him in a container of luke warm not hot water for about 15 min this should help loosen the shed then very gently peel it off. another thing u cantry that i use on my savanah monitor is shed eaze by zoomed. Try soaking it first tho i have had that problem with my leos before

Comment

Thanks for the input... basically do a suana for him then.

I figured this was the first step, what about the area around the eyes? What should I do about that?

Any other comments or advice is appreciated.
      1.0.0 Rescue Leo: Mr. Wiggles (please visit this thread, I need all the help I can get)

Dreaming of that face again, It's bright and blue and shimmering... Grinning wide and comforting me with its three warm and wild eyes Third Eye -- tool

Comment

ur gonna have to hope that loosens up enough to gently pull it off with a pair of tweesers. my hole gecko had to be peeled after a sauna.

Comment

I had a gecko in a similar situation. His one eye had a cap stuck that was filled with pus. I bought a sterile saline solution to clear it out.

I'd try that
          "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Comment

Poor guy! Unfortunately I don't have any additional advice to offer, but I just wanted to let you know that I'll be thinking of you both and hoping for the best.
            -Steph
            Kevin and Steph
            http://www.sadlerreptiles.com
            Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Comment

I would also say sauna, but instead of tweezers around the eyes I would try to maybe gently wipe it off with a Qtip. Be really careful if the eyes though. Looks like there is stuck shed on the toes too that needs to come off. Poor thing.... Also I would make him a humid hide. You can make a tupperware with hole and put some wet paper towel in it so he can crawl in and get some moisture.
              He looks so skinny do you have a undertank heater or a lamp so hes warm?
              I would also put a dish of calcium in there for him to lick.
              Good luck with him...
              2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
              1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
              1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Comment

personally i use a undertank heater and my hide is a rock cave with damp frog moss in it. If u use that method u need to make sure it is dampened every night

Comment

Yeah I forgot to mention that. Tweezers aren't the best tool to use. I'm scared of using them personally and found the qtips a lot closer to my liking. I also tried to keep the sessions of trying to get the shed off at a time of about 5 minutes because I feel anything longer than that causes too much stress.
                  "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Comment

i have tweezers with soft rubber tips on the end that i use just for my reptiles my savanah monitor has shedding issues

Comment

You should have more than one hide. You should use a dry hide on the warm side, one on the cool AND a humid hide. I feel plenty comfortable using tweezers and have never seen any ill effects from it.

If I were you, I'd probably also have a fecal done to check for any parasites. He's kind of skinny.
                      12.15.4.5 Crested geckos; 1.1 Gargoyle geckos; 1.1 Leopard geckos; 1.1 Fat-tailed geckos; 2.0 Viper geckos; 1.0 male dwarf rabbit; lots of fish

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

A little more info, I have a humid hide, 2 hides (one cool side, one warm), a water dish and food dish. The tank is a 10 gallon hori, on the basking side it is 95 and the other side is 80. They had an undertank heater, but I think if I plugged it in it would be far to warm in that little tank.

I will set out some calcium.

I didn't mention this, but the reason he is soooo skinny is because he won't eat. He pooed yesterday, but the people said he hasn't eaten in awhile. I tried a mealworm with tweezers and held it right up to the side of his mouth but he would not touch it, he just flinched. I have a feeling that is because he is blind...

Any more comments or advice on how to get him to start eating would be great.

Comment

Get a fecal done. If he's not eating, it's likely he has parasites, and by the looks of him, I'd say that too. You can't get him eating if he doesn't feel good, and animals with parasites definitely don't feel good.

Also 95 is on the hot side of where I'd go for a warm spot. I tend not to go over 92 and lean more toward the 88 range instead. Are you using a digital thermometer? Those stick on kind are horrible and can be up to 25 degrees off what the real temp is. As they don't bask, you don't technically need a light. I prefer using an undertank heater with a thermostat (this is KEY as they get well over 100 degrees unregulated) instead of a light. They aren't going to bask anyway.
                          12.15.4.5 Crested geckos; 1.1 Gargoyle geckos; 1.1 Leopard geckos; 1.1 Fat-tailed geckos; 2.0 Viper geckos; 1.0 male dwarf rabbit; lots of fish

Comment

Originally posted by Saucy View Post
                            Get a fecal done. If he's not eating, it's likely he has parasites, and by the looks of him, I'd say that too. You can't get him eating if he doesn't feel good, and animals with parasites definitely don't feel good.
                            I will get a fecal done asap, I hope he poos again... the last one was in his water dish. I have noticed he spends a lot of time in the water dish, could this be a sign of anything specific?

Originally posted by Saucy View Post
                            Also 95 is on the hot side of where I'd go for a warm spot. I tend not to go over 92 and lean more toward the 88 range instead. Are you using a digital thermometer? Those stick on kind are horrible and can be up to 25 degrees off what the real temp is. As they don't bask, you don't technically need a light. I prefer using an undertank heater with a thermostat (this is KEY as they get well over 100 degrees unregulated) instead of a light. They aren't going to bask anyway.
                            I don't currently have a thermostat on the undertank heater (which is why I don't use it), and I am using 2 of the stick on dial gauges (not the heat strip ones) at the moment. I am doing this for free, so if I get a chance to pick up another digi thermometer this week I will do so.

Again, any other insights or tips are greatly appreciated.
                            Last edited by Psylocide; 02-15-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Any luck getting the shed off? I've rescued a few leos and I learned that, when you give them a sauna, they can be pretty darned good at getting the shed off all by themselves in the deli cup. He may need help with the eyes/head, though, since there's nothing for him to get a grip on. The q-tip method sounds good to me.

I agree about getting the fecal done ASAP. I think there is hope... I've rescued worse, from what I can tell by the pictures.

As a last resort, I did once feed a few leos on their death beds jumpstart mixed with calcium via a syringe. They did lick it off of the syringe for me. You could try this and see what happens, since Jumpstart is an appetite stimulant.
                              Currently working with R. ciliatus

Comment

Working...
                              X