HALP!! Rescue Leo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lauren and Hunter View Post
    Any luck getting the shed off? I've rescued a few leos and I learned that, when you give them a sauna, they can be pretty darned good at getting the shed off all by themselves in the deli cup. He may need help with the eyes/head, though, since there's nothing for him to get a grip on. The q-tip method sounds good to me.
    Thank you for the advice, I did the sauna and got most of the shed off his head and mouth area. Although, I did use a tweezers after the Q-tip just didn't cut it in one area. I tried to get the shed off his eyes, and I think I succeeded but I still don't think he can see. I need some eyedrops of some kind... what can I use?

There is still some stuck shed in places, but I need to do another suana, I didn't want to overstress him in his weak state.

As a last resort, I did once feed a few leos on their death beds jumpstart mixed with calcium via a syringe. They did lick it off of the syringe for me. You could try this and see what happens, since Jumpstart is an appetite stimulant.
    I may try this if nothing else will work.
    1.0.0 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus: Mitsurugi
    1.0.0 Rescue Leo: Mr. Wiggles (please visit this thread, I need all the help I can get)

Dreaming of that face again, It's bright and blue and shimmering... Grinning wide and comforting me with its three warm and wild eyes Third Eye -- tool

Comment

I would get a vet to look at the eyes, maybe, too. Or get some clear shots of them for us once the shed is off.

However, I don't think the refusing to eat is related to the eye problem. Someone surrendered 5 leos to me a year+ ago that were in horrendous condition, but my favorite, a bell albino female, was in the very best shape of the group, as the best hunter. She caught most of the food (this person housed all 5 together....). Being an albino, her eyesight is obviously very poor, and this is quite apparent when you take her out during the day to hold her. Being near blind obviously doesn't stop her from being a fatty. She is housed with one other female that I raised from a baby myself, and they both do quite well, but she even outcompetes her roommate by a little bit. These guys are amazing when it comes to what must be done in order to survive.
      Currently working with R. ciliatus

Comment

I would get a vet to look at the eyes, maybe, too. Or get some clear shots of them for us once the shed is off.

However, I don't think the refusing to eat is related to the eye problem. Someone surrendered 5 leos to me a year+ ago that were in horrendous condition, but my favorite, a bell albino female, was in the very best shape of the group, as the best hunter. She caught most of the food (this person housed all 5 together....). Being an albino, her eyesight is obviously very poor, and this is quite apparent when you take her out during the day to hold her. Being near blind obviously doesn't stop her from being a fatty. She is housed with one other female that I raised from a baby myself, and they both do quite well, but she even outcompetes her roommate by a little bit. These guys are amazing when it comes to what must be done in order to survive.
        So as far as not eating, the main culprit is going to most likely be parasites? He hasn't eaten in the two days I've had him. I can't get him to eat a mealworm rubbed against his mouth... how can I get this thing to eat? Would a cricket be a better bet? I feel like time is running out...
        1.0.0 Rescue Leo: Mr. Wiggles (please visit this thread, I need all the help I can get)

Dreaming of that face again, It's bright and blue and shimmering... Grinning wide and comforting me with its three warm and wild eyes Third Eye -- tool

Comment

Have you gotten his eyes clear? If he can see, let him completely alone for a day, then introduce one small cricket, at night. If he isn't up to chasing it, then you'll need to take him to a vet ASAP. A vet can diagnose why he's so debilitated, and treat it. His tail is thin, but he looks to have a little bit of weight left, so the first priority is treating whatever's making him unwell--worry about food after that.

Leopard geckos store fat in their tail--if there is weight left in the tail, the gecko can survive without food for a time, living off the fat stores. This gives you time to treat the other problems. Hopefully he will be well enough to eat on his own soon, and won't require any sort of hand-feeding. He doesn't have a lot of weight left in his tail, but there is some in the photo you posted.
          --Winged Wolf
          Eclipse Exotics
          http://www.eclipseexotics.com
          21.58 BPs in collection, 1.1 BP hatchlings, 1.1 super dwarf reticulated pythons, 0.1 Lygodactylus williamsi, 0.1 Lygodactylus angularis, 1.1 Lygodactylus conradti, 0.8 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Comment

Originally posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
            Have you gotten his eyes clear? If he can see, let him completely alone for a day, then introduce one small cricket, at night. If he isn't up to chasing it, then you'll need to take him to a vet ASAP. A vet can diagnose why he's so debilitated, and treat it. His tail is thin, but he looks to have a little bit of weight left, so the first priority is treating whatever's making him unwell--worry about food after that.
            Again, I am doing this for free out of the kindness of my heart. I do not have funds allocated for a vet trip for this animal at this time. I'm not sure if he can see or not yet. It looks as if I got the shed off, but there is some hazy smoke colored look to his eyes still... I will post more pics tonight if I can get some. I do have the money for a fecal and as soon as I can find some poo, I'll get that in right away.

Leopard geckos store fat in their tail--if there is weight left in the tail, the gecko can survive without food for a time, living off the fat stores. This gives you time to treat the other problems. Hopefully he will be well enough to eat on his own soon, and won't require any sort of hand-feeding. He doesn't have a lot of weight left in his tail, but there is some in the photo you posted.
            I was aware that they store fat in their tails and that his is far to skinny right now. Besides the horrible amount of stuck shed, this was my first concern. I put out a dish of calcium, and there is a dent in it... so he may have licked at it. I am going to let him alone tonight and maybe go for another suana tomorrow to see if I missed any shed. Keeping his stress level down important to me at this point.

Comment

No offense, but if you cannot afford a vet, you should look for a local reptile rescue group to take him. When you take in an animal, you take responsibility for its care. Although reptiles are given the short end of the stick far too often, in reality it is illegal not to get treatment for a sick animal in your care. It does the animal no service to 'rescue' it if you cannot actually provide for it (and that includes appropriate veterinary care). If this were a dog or cat, in similar condition, would you be making the same choices?

That having been said, antibiotic eye ointments can often be purchased online, and that could be used to help his eyes. With some vision back, he might begin eating on his own. The fecal check is a good idea--if it comes back positive, however, will you be able to afford the medication? Most veterinarians here will not prescribe anything for an animal they have not seen.

I'm not trying to bash you, but I am trying to give you some food for thought. These decisions are ultimately up to you to make.
              --Winged Wolf
              Eclipse Exotics
              21.58 BPs in collection, 1.1 BP hatchlings, 1.1 super dwarf reticulated pythons, 0.1 Lygodactylus williamsi, 0.1 Lygodactylus angularis, 1.1 Lygodactylus conradti, 0.8 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Comment

No offense, but if you cannot afford a vet, you should look for a local reptile rescue group to take him. When you take in an animal, you take responsibility for its care. Although reptiles are given the short end of the stick far too often, in reality it is illegal not to get treatment for a sick animal in your care. It does the animal no service to 'rescue' it if you cannot actually provide for it (and that includes appropriate veterinary care). If this were a dog or cat, in similar condition, would you be making the same choices?
                This is South Dakota. There is no "Reptile Rescue Squad." I am doing a huge service to this animal in doing my best to nurse it back to health with the means I have available to me at this point. Would you rather I left him with his owners to die there, with no effort made on their part to save him?

I really hate the dog or cat comparison, because I know that I could do nothing for either of those animals without Vet intervention. Therefore, I would not take them in. As for the Leo, I can do a Sauna, I can do fecal, I can afford medications, just not at. this. second.

That having been said, antibiotic eye ointments can often be purchased online, and that could be used to help his eyes. With some vision back, he might begin eating on his own. The fecal check is a good idea--if it comes back positive, however, will you be able to afford the medication? Most veterinarians here will not prescribe anything for an animal they have not seen.

I'm not trying to bash you, but I am trying to give you some food for thought. These decisions are ultimately up to you to make.
                I know you didn't mean to come across as rude, but you have to understand, I am doing the best I can for this animal at this point. Neglect would have been a worse option IMO.

Comment

Recycled Reptiles
                  Refuge and Educational Outreach
                  AE Center
                  P.O. Box 203
                  Rapid City, SD 57709-0203

The 'reptile rescue squad'....

I realize it can be very difficult to find information on these groups. I know you're doing the best you can for the animal, but if what you can do isn't enough, then the ethical thing to do is place it somewhere where they can provide veterinary care.
                  --Winged Wolf
                  Eclipse Exotics

Comment

Recycled Reptiles
                    Refuge and Educational Outreach
                    AE Center
                    P.O. Box 203
                    Rapid City, SD 57709-0203

The 'reptile rescue squad'....

I realize it can be very difficult to find information on these groups. I know you're doing the best you can for the animal, but if what you can do isn't enough, then the ethical thing to do is place it somewhere where they can provide veterinary care.
                    Wrong side of the state, but thank you for trying. I would not ship him in this condition (or SD winter for that matter) and I would not drive 340 miles across state, it would be cheaper for a vet visit. I know you aren't trying to be a dick, but honestly, I have done my research. I'm doing all I can right now.

Comment

Well I think its great that there are people out there that will try to help and animal in need. Even if they cant aford a vet, better take it in and give it a chance or at least make it as comfortable as you can for its last bit of life.
                      Id personally rather try to help it than just leave it to die a miserable death.
                      Hope he pulls through for you...
                      2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
                      1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
                      1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Comment

Originally posted by cslinca View Post
                        Well I think its great that there are people out there that will try to help and animal in need. Even if they cant aford a vet, better take it in and give it a chance or at least make it as comfortable as you can for its last bit of life.
                        Id personally rather try to help it than just leave it to die a miserable death.
                        Hope he pulls through for you...
                        Exactly!

When there is only 2 options for an animal you do what is best.

you either leave it there to die a very horrible death (not acceptable) or you take it in and do what you can for the poor animal...
                        Monica Elrod
                        JM Geckos & Exotics
                        Greenville, SC

Comment

Regardless who is right, it doesn't do the leo any good to argue about it right now. No matter what, we all wish you the best. I agree with what WingedWolf said about the crickets. Watch him under a red or dark bulb at night and see what he does. And get the fecal done. Besides that, I don't know what else there is right now, except for the Jumpstart idea. But then it's tough to decide when it's worth putting the extra stress on the animal versus when it's not.

Comment

Any word on the little fella?

Comment

He is still alive, I can't get any poo for a fecal, he still won't eat but drinks a lot... good sign maybe?

My tax return came in and I believe I can get him to the vet.

Comment

If he would not eat I would suggest slurry
                                In a blender, combine:
                                1 small can Hill's A/D pet food (available at most vets)
                                cup Ensure (not chocolate)
                                1 jar baby food squash
                                cup Pedialite
                                2 tabs or contents of 2 capsules milk thistle (herbal supplement, liver purifier, found at most drug stores)
                                1/2 tsp. each calcium powder and herp vitamin powder
                                3-5 X-large handful of mealworms, added slowly while mixture is blending, until consistency of milkshake

Puree all ingredients until completely smooth, and pour into ice cube tray and freeze. Store cubes in zip-lock bag in the freezer until ready to use, then thaw out 1 cube at a time and store in fridge for 2-3 days. You can use the empty baby food jar for this purpose, washing it thoroughly after each batch.

Using this mixture, draw a full 1ml dropper (eye dropper type) for adults, and 1/2 dropper for juveniles, and place a drop on the gecko's nose, being careful not to plug the nostrils. Be patient and do not force-feed! The gecko will lick it off its nose, and as it does, slowly squeeze out a little at a time as the gecko licks it. Most geckos love this food, and will lap it up. Patience is a key factor.

* NEVER tell anyone you put mealworms in the blender
                                I would try some crickets(or superworms) to stimulate the predator feeling again.The hot side should be 90-95 with UTH because they are nocturnal so when you turn of the basking light and during the night it will lose heat.Remember Calcium w/o D3.If you need additional help just shoot me a PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X