• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite lizard

black rough neck monitor

Thats a big lizard, lol
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

i would consider the black rough neck to be a medium sized monitor.i don't feel he has reached his adult size yet.he eats mice from my hands,and likes to be rubbed under the chin,but doesn't care to be picked up.that's o.k. with me though,because those little daggers he has for claws draw blood.
      Originally posted by MaddoxDobes View Post
      Thats a big lizard, lol

Comment

I have known some blackthroats that are as sweet and docile as puppies. Do you have any pics of your little guy?
        Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Comment

I want one of those so bad, they're my favorite monitor species. There's one at petshop here that whenever I visit I always buy it a feeder mice and watch owner feed it.

Anymore pictures?
          My Flickr photo page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/madaboutcichlids/

Comment

I've only known them to be sweet little guys. Almost doglike in their curiosity and good nature. But yeah those claws are a little intimidating!
            2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

Comment

Originally posted by Eel Noob View Post
              I want one of those so bad, they're my favorite monitor species. There's one at petshop here that whenever I visit I always buy it a feeder mice and watch owner feed it.

Anymore pictures?

Comment

i was changing his water when he was much younger,and he freaked.i was bent over lifting his water dish from the bottom of the cage while he was basking on his shelf.he ran to the far wall,reversed direction,and jumped from the shelf to my back.then he jumped from my back and ran in my bedroom under my bed.i crawled across the bed and quickly went to grab him,but missed.i was wedged between my bed and the wall with my butt stuck in the air,it took several minutes to get unstuck,and by then i had no idea were he was.i found him underneath my 6 foot dresser,and was worried i'd hurt him moving it.i took the long handle from my window shade and used it to chase him to the back,then i scooted the dresser away from the wall far enough to get behind it and grab him.it was an ordeal and this is what happened from his juvenile claws.....
                [QUOTE=qzumaki;273872]I've only known them to be sweet little guys. Almost doglike in their curiosity and good nature. But yeah those claws are a little intimidating![/QUOTE]

Comment

maaaaaan, and i thought getting in a tangle with an adult water dragon was bad! i've always wanted a monitor, but after owning a CWD, although i loved it, decided i just didn't want another lizard that needed so much space!

i know they're climbers, but is it bad to clip their nails? i used to snip off the very end of my CWD's nails, so he still had something to cling with but it took the sharp tips off. he never had a problem climbing when i did it, so i didn't think it was bad for him.
                  Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
                  :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Comment

Too big for me! Yikes...

Comment

no it's not bad to clip their nails,and i have recently,but he needs it again.my bloodied hands are from when he was around 6 months old.he has easily tripled his size since then.when i recently trimmed his nails he was hanging on the screen door of a home made cage which made it very easy and stress free,but i recently replaced the wire front with plexi-glass to raise the humidity. he doesn't like to be picked up,and most my friends are afraid of him,so i'm not sure how i'm going to do it. i don't even want to think about the damage he could do now.can i count on your help ?
                      Originally posted by rubberduckey273 View Post
                      maaaaaan, and i thought getting in a tangle with an adult water dragon was bad! i've always wanted a monitor, but after owning a CWD, although i loved it, decided i just didn't want another lizard that needed so much space!

i know they're climbers, but is it bad to clip their nails? i used to snip off the very end of my CWD's nails, so he still had something to cling with but it took the sharp tips off. he never had a problem climbing when i did it, so i didn't think it was bad for him.

Comment

Originally posted by geck123 View Post
                        no it's not bad to clip their nails,and i have recently,but he needs it again.my bloodied hands are from when he was around 6 months old.he has easily tripled his size since then.when i recently trimmed his nails he was hanging on the screen door of a home made cage which made it very easy and stress free,but i recently replaced the wire front with plexi-glass to raise the humidity. he doesn't like to be picked up,and most my friends are afraid of him,so i'm not sure how i'm going to do it. i don't even want to think about the damage he could do now.can i count on your help ?
                        What I used to do with my boss's various monitors was gently cradle them in a big towel so that they were in a nice, warm, dark place, and only their feet were exposed. I would then clip as many claws as possible before they started to resist, and I'd immediately let them go before they started to panic. Some monitors were really calm and let me snip all of their claws at one go, others were a few-days-long process (once they get anxious, I'd always let them rest for 24 hours before trying again). Some of the tamer ones also let me truly cradle them (like a baby, on their backs), but others had to rest belly-down on a table. And the wire cage trick is good too...especially for the ones we couldn't even coax out of the cage!!

Oh yeah, and we'd only do it when they were sleepy. For the ones we knew were a little more anxious, we'd turn down their lights and let them cool for an hour before clipping so they wouldn't be as fast.
                        2.4.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Zappa, Basset, Mo, Sprocket, Sparrow, Ellie, Jenga) 0.0.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus (Dr. Doctor) 1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps (Xander) 0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius (Gaia) 1.1.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus (Oluyemi, Yoruba) 1.0.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus (Faizal) Fish tank [15g] (betta Sputnik, many apple snails, and nameless mollies)

Comment

that is exactly what i told a friend i was going to try,just a couple of hours ago.it's nice to hear that that actually works,rather than think it might.thanks
                          Originally posted by qzumaki View Post
                          What I used to do with my boss's various monitors was gently cradle them in a big towel so that they were in a nice, warm, dark place, and only their feet were exposed. I would then clip as many claws as possible before they started to resist, and I'd immediately let them go before they started to panic. Some monitors were really calm and let me snip all of their claws at one go, others were a few-days-long process (once they get anxious, I'd always let them rest for 24 hours before trying again). Some of the tamer ones also let me truly cradle them (like a baby, on their backs), but others had to rest belly-down on a table. And the wire cage trick is good too...especially for the ones we couldn't even coax out of the cage!!

Oh yeah, and we'd only do it when they were sleepy. For the ones we knew were a little more anxious, we'd turn down their lights and let them cool for an hour before clipping so they wouldn't be as fast.

Comment

Originally posted by geck123 View Post
                            that is exactly what i told a friend i was going to try,just a couple of hours ago.it's nice to hear that that actually works,rather than think it might.thanks
                            Awesome, good luck! Let us know what method ends up working best for this guy.

Comment

a friend and i tried clipping the monitors claws today,and the monitor didn't go for it.we were able to clip 4 claws as he was perched on his branch,but then i had to take him out inorder to get the rest.i tried gently pulling him off his branch,and he interlaced his claws around the branch-like we did as kids when hanging for long periods of time.i kept rubbing his back near the rear legs until he moved from the branch to a basking shelf.then i was able to pick him up and bring him out of the cage,but he started to freak,so my friend gently tossed a towel over his head.......bad idea !! he made a swooping move with his long neck and the towel was immediately in the floor.with split second timing he clawed from my hands and leaped to my friend,were i was able to pick him up and put him back in his cage.

these pictures were taken hours after the incident.imagine all the blood minutes after it happened.it looked like my hand went through a meat grinder.

Comment

Working...
                              X