My first Tokay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Tokay

A couple days ago, I got my first Tokay.

I felt really terrible because of the tank he was in. (See pictures below)

My love for geckos kicked in and I bought him. He is going into a nice 55 gal today with a nice large Snake's Tongue (Mother in Law's tongue, whatever)

I will have to find a hinge and a clip to keep the screen closed.. since the cage will be going on it's end.

Anyways, about the Tokay..

He had the typical Tokay disposition at first. Bitey, flighty, defensive... started working with him a little because we had to keep moving him, I wore gloves at first, but it's gotten to the point that I can hold him without gloves if I don't grasp him, poke at him, move around his head, etc., but at the same time that has me worried, since Tokay should have a little fight in them..

Here is the picture of his old cage and him (I will get better pictures later! ) I am so glad I got him out of that cage and into a better forever home.

I will be updating this thread as the week progresses.

edit: On a side note, he has bit me on the nose! LOL. Funny story..

I was holding him in my hand with my glove on when we first got him to see his temperament, weight, etc.
    I got him a little too close to my face without really realizing it. I sneezed.
    All of a sudden you hear this little guy "honk" at me, and I feel a quick pinch on my nose.

Darn you, sneezing!

Need to think of a name for him. (This was when I first got him.)
    No, that's not a worm in his mouth. That's a piece of my glove.

Comment

He is so adorable! He'll probably love you forever for giving him such a large home compared to the old one.
      0.1.0 Crested Gecko (Beowulf)
      1.1.0 Gargoyle Geckos (Craven and Poe)
      0.1.0 Cat (Natalie)

Comment

Haha, what a cute lil meanie!
        Crestopia Reptiles
        http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

Awww you found one! He is gorgeous! Congrats!
          ~www.CrestieCafe.com~
          4.4.10 Crested Geckos (Deku, Charmander, Zebes, Scampi, Gemron, Mocha, Tiramisu, Chozo, & the hatchlings)
          Eggs currently in incubation: 8

Comment

Comment

Amazing animal, if you keep at it you'll have no problem handling him like any other gecko. I hate the bad rap these guys get and I've seen first hand just how good they can be, keep up the good work.
              I know so much crap I've hoovered wikipedia
              The essence of experimental particle physics:
              You smash stuff together and see what other stuff comes out.

Comment

I've actually been able to hold him without gloves, and I've accidentally poked him around his head a couple times with no biting or gaping. He's turned out to be a very good little guy. I'm hoping this was from the previous owner's work with him and not because he is sick, unhealthy or skinny.

Comment

Here's his new cage.

I will be removing at least half of that plant and repotting it to have at least 3 plants I can cycle in and out of the cage.
                  I had a hard enough time finding him when he didn't have a 2ft tall plant in there.

I'd bet you can't guess where he is.

Did you find him yet?

Well, you shouldn't have. He's right in the middle!!
                  Of course, my camera doesn't cooperate in low light situations.

Comment

I'm glad he's got you to take good care of him. With time he'll chill down and fatten up. C:
                    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
                    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

IHKY! Yeah, I hope he does! We lub fat geckos around here. :3

Comment

GAH NO. NOT IHKY. D8<<

He's so pretty. He kinda looks dry in the photos though.. How humid were they keeping him before? D:
                        7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

Not a clue, I didn't think to ask.

I'm going to start spraying him more often. He was drinking a lot of water the first couple of days.

IHKY IHKY IHKY! Are you on msn?

Comment

I bet he was real thirsty if they weren't spraying him often enough. D:

Yes yes, I'm on. o-o;

Comment

Grats Syn,
                              he's definitely on the skinny side. Try the green tomato hornworms with him, my Tokays went crazy for those and they get nice and big and juicy. Silkworms might also be another good high calcium option. What a nice set up you have for him!!!
                              Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Working...
                              X