Leopard Gecko Dropped Tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leopard Gecko Dropped Tail

Tonight I was feeding my leopard gecko crickets. I put my crickets into the small cardboard cups they come in when I am feeding them to shake them out. Today, I accidentally dropped the cup on my leopard gecko. Obviously, she jumped and ran, but I noticed her tail was thrashing violently. She walked around chasing crickets normally, then the flailing calmed down a bit. She went into her cave, with the tail still shaking a bit. I left her alone for five or ten minutes, then came back, to my horror, to find the end of the tail in her mouth (detatched). She then proceeded to walk around the cage with her tail end in her mouth. I came back another couple minutes later, and just the tip was sticking out her mouth, she had swallowed it whole! I came back and she was acting fairly normally, just a bit frightened, and had swallowed the whole tail.

I have read about tail dropping online and in books. Some sources to say to put Neosporin on the tail if you notice infection, some say to put it on anyway. What would you suggest? It said the open wound will heal over in four to five days, and the tail will be completely regenerated, although never like its original self, in about a month. Any other advice to offer?

I am very, very upset about this, and any advice or support would be great.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1.1 Leopard Geckos

Oh no poor thing, well Im not sure about leos but my crestie that lost a tail just heald on its own. I would say just keep her enclosure very clean with paper towel and Im sure it will heal just fine.
    Check the leo gecko forums too, Im sure they know more.
    2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
    1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
    1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Comment

Sorry to hear about your leo. From everything I read online, I agree with cslinca. Keep the enclosure clean and keep on paper towels until the end heals. You just experienced my greatest fear, I feel for you.
      Andi - Gray Sky Exotics
      www.iHerp.com/Hannibal
      www.facebook.com/andi.vanzant

Comment

You could smear some anti-biotic ointment without pain reliever. Paper towels, and make sure the basking spot is at the optimum temperature of 90 degrees. I hope you are using an UTH, they are much more efficient to help digest (gag* if she needs to digest that tail then the belly heat is really going to be critical!). I am so sorry, I hope you aren't too upset with yourself. You do the best you can but in the end we are only human!

Comment

She is normally on reptile carpet, but until it regenerates I have her on paper towels because they are more sanitary.

Yes I have a heat pad (UTH). The hot spot gets to about ninety to ninety-two. Cool side is around seventy-seven.
          1.0 Bearded Dragon
          0.1.1 Leopard Geckos

Comment

Working...
          X