Bearded dragon lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearded dragon lighting

Hi! So I’m getting a bearded dragon. I’ve done a lot of research and I know everything I need to know but I’m a little confused on one thing; the lighting. Since it’s so important I just want to get it right which is why I’m asking on here. I know they need 100-150 watts of heat and tube UVB bulb. I went to petsmart (I’m getting the actual beardie from a breeder) but I went to get stuff for the setup and I saw that the UVB bulbs had watts and I can’t find the answer to how many watts I need in the UVB. I’m not sure if I was looking at the wrong thing but it kinda just threw me off and I wasn’t sure what to buy. If there are any links to a recommended UVB light for a juvenile (40 gallon tank) please attach it! Thank u so much

Get a 24" (or 36" if you're planning on a really big cage. I have a 40 gallon and the 24" is fine) florescent fixture. Get a Reptisun 24" 10.0 T8 bulb. They should have those at Petco. Then get a dome basking fixture. This would be a light with a ceramic screw in area and a silver or black dome . Get a 100w incandescent or halogen bulb for this. Make sure the package lists it as full spectrum lighting. There are lights that don't really have UVB and there are charts on each box. Don't get a compact fluorescent light; they're bad for beardie eyes. When you set up the cage, lay the long fixture across the top of the cage and put the basking light on one side. Set up some logs or other structure so the beardie can get up there to bask. You may want to check out
    beardeddragon.org for more dragon specific information.

Aliza

Comment

Thank you so much! This really clarified everything.

Comment

Glad to be of service. Enjoy your beardie.

Aliza

Comment

Working...
        X