Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this be an ok enclosure for a leopard gecko?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be an ok enclosure for a leopard gecko?

I have a 20 gallon hexagon tall aquarium that I'd like to use for a gecko enclosure. It's pretty large but it's tall rather than wide and hexagonal shaped. Would it work ok? I know Geckos can't climb the walls, but I could set up wood and stones for him to climb on. I do not have a gecko yet, I want to make sure I have a good habitat set up first, then find one. My main concern is not the floor space because as I mentioned I could add climbing rocks/wood, but rather could I get a proper heat gradient across it? It is :
    19.1 In L x 16.6 in W x 24.4 in H .
    https://www.petsmart.com/featured-br...l?cgid=5000270

Some people might say it would be hard to get a good heat gradient, but I think it will be OK since one gecko keeper and former seller recommends a 18"x18" habitat. You could make a nice second level for your gecko and provide some heat up there as well with a mini heat pad.

Aliza

Comment

Originally posted by acpart View Post
      Some people might say it would be hard to get a good heat gradient, but I think it will be OK since one gecko keeper and former seller recommends a 18"x18" habitat. You could make a nice second level for your gecko and provide some heat up there as well with a mini heat pad.

Aliza
      Hey that's a great idea, ty! And it'd just be a single gecko. I was thinking some things to climb on but a 2nd level is brilliant! I wonder if I could do the heat gradient vertically instead of horizontally.

Comment

The heat gradient needs to be horizontal because the gecko is terrestrial. However, if you add a second level you can create an extra warm location.

Aliza

Comment

Working...
        X