What should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do?

I was looking through kijiji when I saw this: http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-pets-othe...AdIdZ435322100

I don't know what to do they have a golden gecko, a house gecko and a fire bellied toad all together in the same tank is that even safe? cause I understood never to put two different species of geckos together even if their climate was similar...

I don't know if I should ask them about them and take them in and give them seperate cages or ignore it
    0.1.0 Leopard Gecko[Hermes]
    1.0.0 Dog [Bert]

Generally, different species, even from the same region, should not be housed together.

However, as I've been finding out recently, sometimes there are exceptions. Not general species exceptions, but individual reptile/owner exceptions. For example, a couple individuals confirmed that female Tokays and Golden Geckos can actually be housed relatively safely together provided the enclosure is large and there are more than enough hides on all ends for all occupants.

As well, I've also spoken to some breeders/hobbyists and some humid-type creatures such as basilisks and water dragons can be housed with certain types of frogs and/or anoles, provided the enclosure is very large.

Personally, I would never house different species together just because there's always an inherent risk, even within the same species, of bullying/fighting/intimidation/etc.

As for this case, I think my first question would be to ask how large their enclosure is and if they could provide pictures of their setup.

The ad is triggering my memory though...if I recall correctly, I believe I remember seeing this individual attempting to sell all three recently (about a month ago or so), and the reason I remember it is because those aren't the actual pics of their reptiles...they were all lifted from Google or other forums. That to me is a always a concern when someone is attempting to sell their reptiles. It's misleading. If I didn't know any better, I would think those are their actual animals which all appear to be in pretty good condition. But are they? So I would be asking for real pics, not Google images, before I would consider taking them in. It would just help to know if you're taking on rescues so you know what you're getting into.

If I had the space, I would gladly take them as well. I also wouldn't want to keep them housed together, even if they have been fine so far.
    ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Thanks, I have inquired about how big the cage is and if I can see pictures of both the enclosure and the geckos and toad, I hope this person has them in a big enough enclosure. and that this isn't a scam or something like that.
      0.1.0 Leopard Gecko[Hermes]
      1.0.0 Dog [Bert]

Comment

My instinct isn't that it's a scam per se, but more like these animals are neglected and the individual knows this and just wants them gone. Or...they've mislabelled the reptiles. I find it unusual that they aren't trying to sell them with the enclosure, especially since they're offering them for free...instead, they mention an enclosure could be negotiated. Almost every instance I've seen of someone on Kijiji offering a free animal focuses more on the sale of the enclosure than the free animals. The animals are a "bonus". There are many things that are odd about this. Hopefully they'll be able to clear things up satisfactorily.
        ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Yes, I believe that some species can be kept together, but it is something for an expert to do. I certainly wouldn't feel safe doing it. I'm willing to bet that 99 percent of people who do really don't know what they are doing, this one included. At least the animals look healthy, but I imagine there is a reason why the setup is not being shown.

Comment

Working...
          X