So Much For Limiting My Diversity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Much For Limiting My Diversity

I ended up not being able to go home alone from this weekends Tucson Reptile Show. I brought home a custom ZooMed enclosure, 2 Dendrobates Auratus (Green & Bronze Dart Frogs), and a culture of fruit flies from Wendi Heffner aka Frogs with Altitude. I've met with her last year, she was very friendly and knowledgeable. I ended up selling a couple of my Crested Geckos while walking around the show to a friend and the cash was just too much to have in my wallet so I had to spend it of course, haha. I've looked into Dart Frogs in the past and was always fascinated by them. I've never kept much as far as frogs go so this will a little bit of a learning curve. I ended up getting a hardy species, I feel more than confident that they will get great care. The only thing I may end up doing is putting some hydro balls at the bottom of the enclosure. I'll need to do a bit of research before changing anything. Wendi has had great success with her enclosures set up like this. Enough rambling, here are the pictures I managed to take. It's great to have a little display setup next to my desktop. I might just end up starring at them more than the computer screen.

Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

Beautiful frogs! Their set-up looks great.
    Gravel works pretty well as a drainage layer, you may just want to make sure there is a spot that you can reach down with a tube or turkey baster into the gravel to suck up extra water.
    I would also add some film canisters (with suction cups) to the sides since they look pretty bare. Film canisters make great hides. If you tilt them at 45 degrees and add some water, they work great as egg deposit sites too.
    You picked a really bold species but they tend to be more bold when they have more places to hide since they're more comfortable.
    -Louisa
    Beachside Geckos
    My iHerp
    Facebook

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I had some extra pieces of wood that will act like natural hides that I added this morning after baking them for awhile and rearranged some things to provide more crevices for hides. I was told at the show that D. Auratus will utilize the vertical space but reading about them this morning online I've only seen that they prefer a terrestrial enclosure. Hopefully this will be efficient for them. I fed them for my first time just now and watching them gobble down fruit flies was cracking me up.

Comment

Darts are fun, congrats! Those are some nice looking Auratus.
        http://www.mlmreptiles.com . http://www.iherp.com/MLMReptiles

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

They are beautiful! We had some for a little while and they didn't do very well... they got too hot without us realizing it. They like it cool in the 70s, and a light fixture can make it pretty warm. However, with the height on that it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, we did find ours would climb quite a bit, but we had them in a more terrestrial enclosure so it wasn't as high as your tank. You might try to put some corkbark upright against the glass to see if they will climb up it.

Good luck!
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Spyral View Post
              They are beautiful! We had some for a little while and they didn't do very well... they got too hot without us realizing it. They like it cool in the 70s, and a light fixture can make it pretty warm. However, with the height on that it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, we did find ours would climb quite a bit, but we had them in a more terrestrial enclosure so it wasn't as high as your tank. You might try to put some corkbark upright against the glass to see if they will climb up it.

Good luck!
              What species did you keep? I checked the temps yesterday with my temp gun it's around 74-75F at the surface and at the very top of the enclosure it's around 77F. I'm only using a single 15 watt bulb, hopefully it won't be an issue. If it turns out that they won't use the vertical space I'll find someone local to me that keeps and breeds them. Hopefully they'd be willing to trade me for a more suitable species. I added a bunch of extra climbing spots and I plan to pick up some more plants and corkbark at the Phoenix show next month. As the plants grow out it will offer more hides and climbing areas as well.

Comment

They are so pretty and cute! Congrats. I've been contemplating getting a few Dart Frogs but I have no clue what species to start with! I like your set-up too, and it'll look even better once your plants grow out more.

1.1.0 Leopard Gecko- Gaia and Atia, 1.1.0 African Fat-tailed Geckos- Bubblegum and Draco, 1.1.1 Crested Geckos- Enya, Dimitri, and Ice, 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon- Bracken

Comment

Originally posted by KTyne View Post
                  They are so pretty and cute! Congrats. I've been contemplating getting a few Dart Frogs but I have no clue what species to start with! I like your set-up too, and it'll look even better once your plants grow out more.
                  Thanks, I'm looking forward to adding some more plant cover and to see it fill out.

I got some more pictures of the little ones, enjoy.

and an edited one...

Comment

Nice! I really like how they look like they're covered in metallic nail polish.

1.1.0 Leopard Gecko- Gaia and Atia, 1.1.0 African Fat-tailed Geckos- Bubblegum and Draco, 1.1.1 Crested Geckos- Enya, Dimitri, and Ice, 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon- Bracken

Comment

Originally posted by eel588 View Post
                      What species did you keep? I checked the temps yesterday with my temp gun it's around 74-75F at the surface and at the very top of the enclosure it's around 77F. I'm only using a single 15 watt bulb, hopefully it won't be an issue. If it turns out that they won't use the vertical space I'll find someone local to me that keeps and breeds them. Hopefully they'd be willing to trade me for a more suitable species. I added a bunch of extra climbing spots and I plan to pick up some more plants and corkbark at the Phoenix show next month. As the plants grow out it will offer more hides and climbing areas as well.
                      Same species, "Blue & Black" morph, from the same breeder you got yours. I'm suspecting heat was the issue because two died suddenly during a heat wave that Fall after we got them and the light was left on longer than it should have. The other stopped moving and I may have killed him with a Pedialyte soak... not good times.

There is a fantastic breeder of dart frogs here in the Phoenix area, Amanda & Greg Sihler at AZDR that may be able to help you out if you decide to get into other varieties.
                      Specializing in Crested Geckos
                      Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                      Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                      Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by KTyne View Post
                        Nice! I really like how they look like they're covered in metallic nail polish.
                        Their color really pops when they are on dark bark and the leaf litter.

Originally posted by Spyral View Post
                        Same species, "Blue & Black" morph, from the same breeder you got yours. I'm suspecting heat was the issue because two died suddenly during a heat wave that Fall after we got them and the light was left on longer than it should have. The other stopped moving and I may have killed him with a Pedialyte soak... not good times.

There is a fantastic breeder of dart frogs here in the Phoenix area, Amanda & Greg Sihler at AZDR that may be able to help you out if you decide to get into other varieties.
                        That's good to know and sorry for your loss. It's never fun. I will have to see if I can contact AZDR previous to going to the Phoenix show. I'm going to get some pieces to create more surface area as well as some additional plants.

Comment

Working...
                        X