Anyone else doing darts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else doing darts?

I've got some leucs right now, just wondering if anyone else is doing dart frogs on the forums here!

Click image for larger version

Name:	My new frogs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1081018

If you've got them, how old were your males when they started calling?
    C. ciliatus 3.6.36.24 D. leucomelas 0.0.4 Furcifir pardalis 1.0 living with 3.6 Bufo marinus 0.2 R. leachianus 0.1 Batrachomoeus trispinosus 0.0.1 (and 1.0 Pug)

www.AllStarGeckos.com
    www.ChameleonAddict.com
    Facebook Page

I have two, but they are both female, I believe males start calling between 10-12 months. If you play them a recording of calling it can encourage lazy males to begin their calls.
    http://www.mlmreptiles.com . http://www.iherp.com/MLMReptiles

Comment

I have thumbnails and I LOVE them! Mine are all unsexed or female so I don't know but I thought I saw that they can start calling at 8 months.
      Here is my Ranitomeya Imitator 'Varadero'

This is her planted tank which has grown in a bit since this pic was taken.

& here are my Ranitomeya Variabilis 'Highland'

-Louisa
      Beachside Geckos
      My iHerp
      Facebook

Comment

Ahh I love the little guys!! Mine are about a year and still no calling yet! I've got four so I'm hoping for a decent mix! Nice viv!
        C. ciliatus 3.6.36.24 D. leucomelas 0.0.4 Furcifir pardalis 1.0 living with 3.6 Bufo marinus 0.2 R. leachianus 0.1 Batrachomoeus trispinosus 0.0.1 (and 1.0 Pug)

www.AllStarGeckos.com
        www.ChameleonAddict.com
        Facebook Page

Comment

I was originally going to get Imitators, but I have a huge vivarium and I was afraid I would never see them. :/ They are so lovely!
          http://www.mlmreptiles.com . http://www.iherp.com/MLMReptiles

Comment

I keep Dendrobates auratus "Blue and Black", "Nicaraguan Green and Black", and "Highland Bronze". I also have some odd Phyllobates terribilis "Mint". The terribilis aren't afraid of anything at all.

Comment

I'd love to see pics of all your setups and inhabitants if you have some!!

www.AllStarGeckos.com
              www.ChameleonAddict.com
              Facebook Page

Comment

I love darts, and yours are gorgeous. I keep telling myself if I ever have the time or money to put into them I'll give these guys a try. Such beautiful animals.

Comment

Less time than the panther chams that's for sure!!! They really aren't so bad if you spend time doing a setup....more time culturing flies than anything

I based my setups on info from Joshsfrogs.com. They have a really simple setup plan and it turns out pretty cool I'm going to wait to post mine until I pick up some new plants at Tinley this weekend!!!

www.AllStarGeckos.com
                  www.ChameleonAddict.com
                  Facebook Page

Comment

It's kind of redundant to post this here since I've got a thread with the same pictures but since you asked here they are. I just got them this past weekend at the Tucson Reptile Show. They are incredibly interesting. I love the pictures above of everyones darts. The Thumbnail are amazing but I was told they are more fragile so I went with a hardier species to begin. I didn't want to get in over my head.

I will be getting some more plants and wood to give them with more surface area and hide spots here shortly but I was blown away by how nice these setups were the past two years I jumped on it.

I hope I see some more people posting on this thread!
                    Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

Comment

I have a pair of azureus males, they started calling at about one year of age. The calls are very quiet, and they don't sound like what you would expect, so you really have to pay attention. My azureus sounds like a metal-on-metal grind, its rather unpleasant actually.
                      www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
                      Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
                      3.9.20+ crested geckos
                      Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
                      Pickle - unsexed leachie

Comment

Originally posted by Misskiwi67 View Post
                        I have a pair of azureus males, they started calling at about one year of age. The calls are very quiet, and they don't sound like what you would expect, so you really have to pay attention. My azureus sounds like a metal-on-metal grind, its rather unpleasant actually.
                        Where do you keep your Azureus? I've heard that they are kind of hard to hear. I'd love to see your enclosure if you have pictures available.
                        Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

Comment

Finally snapped some pics of the frogs! 4 unsexed leucomelas, all around a year old. They are in a 20 long (wish I had done the 29), but they seem pretty happy.

Through the glass

And then I opened the lid a bit... a left to right view.

They are so much fun to watch eat!

www.AllStarGeckos.com
                          www.ChameleonAddict.com
                          Facebook Page

Comment

I keep a few frogs....

Name:	benni.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1059303 Click image for larger version

Name:	colon2.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1059304

Name:	crist2.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1059305Click image for larger version

Name:	guar1.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1059306

Name:	wb1.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1059307Click image for larger version

Name:	vpm2.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1059308

Name:	gbl.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1059309Click image for larger version

Name:	2basti.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1059310

Name:	bennpair2.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1059311Click image for larger version

Name:	gball.jpg
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1059312
                            Wes L.

V-Scape

Comment

Awesome!!! I've been wanting to do dart frogs for awhile. Are they fairly easy? I've had a whites tree frog for 12 years... Although I don't want him to go anytime soon, they will be my next project
                              5.3 Cresties :: 1.0 Bernese Mountain Dog :: 0.1 Maine Coon Cat

Comment

Working...
                              X