Garbage Disposal Baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage Disposal Baby

Hey guys, I seem to be on a streak of thread-posting today. I was wondering if anyone could toss me some ideas for a mostly insectivorous reptile I could keep and feed my excess roaches/crickets to once my colonies get a little large.

Of course I will love it unconditionally as I do my other pets and breeders, with the plus of letting it chow down on various insects. Size-wise, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of an adult bearded dragon..and yes, a bearded is a possibility though I'm not fond of desert set-ups.

I have a number of empty tanks, so space isn't really an issue. Thanks in advance for any ideas. I also thought of ackie monitors, too. Hmm.
    iHerp
    Facebook
    1.2.1 Crested Geckos | 0.1 Leachianus | 1.0 Corn Snake
    4.2 Ball Pythons | 0.1 Blood Python | 0.1 Hognose

LOL while I don't recommend it for that purpose, I call my chewie girl my gargbage gut, because whenever one of my other geckos refuses to eat a bug it goes to her because she never turns down a bug..

I've heard of some people giving their giant frogs their extra male dubia's. I'm guessing a pixie frog?
    I have a friend who's son has some wild caught frogs and their larger one ate a male dubia I gave them.
    Most frogs will eat whatever they can fit into their mouth. Maybe start looking into larger species of frogs.
    www.Gracious Geckos.com
    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
    Facebook!

Comment

I do think pacmans and pixies are pretty interesting. There's an idea.

Chahoua would be pretty expensive little disposals! Haha.
      iHerp
      Facebook

Comment

**Sorry wrong thread lol***
        Last edited by leaveittoweaver; 07-11-2011, 07:50 PM.
        "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Comment

Originally posted by leaveittoweaver View Post
          This is the stuff:
          http://www.amazon.com/Espoma-Organic.../dp/B000TZ76DA

The lady at the nursery said this was what I was looking for. Was she right or no? Thanks!
          ???

Haha.
          iHerp
          Facebook

Comment

Our adult leachies never turn down adult male dubia roaches! Also more along the 'expensive' lines.

Maybe a gehyra marginata? They like cgd too.
            Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

Originally posted by that_girl View Post
              Our adult leachies never turn down adult male dubia roaches! Also more along the 'expensive' lines.

Maybe a gehyra marginata? They like cgd too.
              Goodness, of course I would love a leachie but not quite yet. G. marginata though, I just saw JB's video of Waffles and they're pretty darn amazing. I love those flat, flappy little feet.
              iHerp
              Facebook

Comment

To be technical beardies are not desert but they are arid

But you can look at things like water dragon, tokay, texas collards (which are quite the characters also).
                lets just say I have a lot of stuff
                www.sublimereptiles.com
                Facebook
                BOI

Comment

Originally posted by thongwedgie View Post
                  To be technical beardies are not desert but they are arid

But you can look at things like water dragon, tokay, texas collards (which are quite the characters also).

I asked because I would rather hear opinions instead of just grabbing a lizard and stuffing it full of bugs! I would rather have one whose diet could consist of just insects, so I wouldn't be putting a negative impact on its health. P:

These are all definitely going on the list!
                  iHerp
                  Facebook

Comment

Chinese Water Dragons seem to fill that role pretty perfectly, not to mention they're gorgeous as adults! It would be fun to build a big terrarium for one.
                    iHerp
                    Facebook

Comment

Beautiful animals, good personalities, will eat plenty o bugs, but adults do better in custom cages over aquariums, I helped to custom build a few of them for friends and all were equip with drainable lagoons
                      lets just say I have a lot of stuff
                      www.sublimereptiles.com
                      Facebook
                      BOI

Comment

What about a tokay or a leopard gecko? Or flying geckos! All three have pretty good appetites!
                        "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Comment

I say go for a tokay and/or a flying gecko. But, look for CB ones if you can.
                          3.6.3 R. ciliatus; 0.1 R. leachianus; 1.1.1 G. gecko; 1.0 G. ulikovskii
                          0.1 Heterodon nasicus
                          1.1 Eumeces schneideri; 0.0.3 Bombina orientalis; 0.0.2 Archispirostreptus gigas

Comment

Many thanks, guys. It's between a CWD and a tokay (the latter I wanted anyway!) It's nice to have ideas.
                            iHerp
                            Facebook

Comment

Guess you've made up your mind, but I was going to vote pyxie frog. They are garbage disposals in the true sense of the word. If an animal doesn't want to eat, shoot, feed it to the pyxie. Do the same with the big pacman too. They can eat a lot and can eat big prey items.

Comment

Working...
                              X