Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redfoot tortoise

Hey folks,
    So I traded my inverts for a redfoot tortoise. I got taken for a ride a little bit but that's what happens when you are in a hurry. I've wanted a redfoot for a long time and this one was available.

Anyways! 2 issues are bothering me a little bit. They both seem relatively minor but I know that minor things can get big seemingly overnight with animals. The first is that the eyes seem a little watery to me. I've also seen her rub her face very occasionally. I've read a few websites that say that you have to use UVB inside and others say don't use it at all. Currently I have a reptisun 10 as recommended by the guy I got it from. The websites that say don't use it make me think maybe this is to strong? She stays in her hide for the most part.

The second issue is that her skin and shell seem dry. I keep the enclosure moist, and I soak her a couple of times a week and she seems better than when I got her. Not quite up to what I see on websites and such though.

Any recommendations or experiences are appreciated.
    My reviews!
    Arachnoboards
    Fauna BOI

My iHerp
    Facebook: Tiger Reptiles

Oh man, I've always wanted a redfoot. I am owned by a spoiled Russian. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck!
    The Zoo: Cresties: Way too many!! Beagles: 1.1 Cats: 1.4 Russian tortoise 0.1 Snakes: 6.10 Tarantulas: 0.3.2 Birds: 2.4

Comment

I own Hermann's, not Red's but I do soak them a few times a week and there skins looks great.

Check out this site. When I was considering getting a red, this helped me out a lot.

http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm
      Cloud9reptiles.com
      Facebook

Comment

I've owned a juvenile cherry head red foot tortoise. This species dehydrates very easily. The most important thing that they need is high humidity. You need to keep it warm and have a humid enclosure that basically traps the humidity. My tort had the same issues, the scales on his head were peeling and his eyes were always watery, this was when I first got him and was new to red foots. After some research the warm humidity really does the trick. They are a forest species and that is the climate they are used to. Also, I would recommend feeding him/her Mazuri Tortoise Diet. Red foots in particular do very well with this diet since they have a higher need for protein than most torts. Also, the UVA might be a little strong, they don't need that much of it since where they live they don't actually get too much sun that penetrates the forest floor, kind of like box turtles. Give him some spaghnum moss or some soil and just wet it.

Comment

Originally posted by cork_screw View Post
          Also, I would recommend feeding him/her Mazuri Tortoise Diet. Red foots in particular do very well with this diet since they have a higher need for protein than most torts.
          I thought the Mazuri diets are for the grazing species of tortoise rather than browsers/scavengers such as the redfoots? They even say it on their website it's for sulcatas and other dry land tortoises, which have a very different diet than redfoots.

Currently she is on a diet based on turtletary's with veggies and fuit at about a 2/3 ratio. For protein she gets mouse parts about once a week when I feed the snakes (hind legs, etc) and the occasional mushroom (very popular choice by the way).

The I've kept the humidity up, she has a huge bowl to soak in with a ramp, and I soak her every other day as well. The eyes don't seem to be watering now. The scales aren't clearing up but that might take more time I guess.
          My reviews!
          Arachnoboards
          Fauna BOI

My iHerp
          Facebook: Tiger Reptiles

Comment

I wish you the best! By the way..we'd love to see photos.. I have a baby box turtle that's currently growing like a tiny weed.
            iHerp
            Facebook
            1.2.1 Crested Geckos | 0.1 Leachianus | 1.0 Corn Snake
            4.2 Ball Pythons | 0.1 Blood Python | 0.1 Hognose

Comment

That's what the site says, but I know many forum members over at tortoise forums who swears by Mazuri. A lot of members who won't feed their high fiber torts Mazuri will feed it to their red foots and cherry heads because that species can handle a higher protein content. I know that Leopards, Stars love it and Sulcatas, Galapagos, Aldabras, and Redfoots/cherryheads are addicted to it like crack, and it's good for them. There's one breeder who breeds every single type of tort you can think of, who also has an amazing colony of cherry heads feeds Mazuri 100% of the time. Other people cut it 50/50 with greens one day and mazuri the next, so on and so on. But Redfoots are known for eating Mazuri as a staple diet. Go to tortoise forums, it's a wealth of info and the people there are pretty nice and cool. I have a baby egyptian and he lunges for the mazuri and his coloration and weight have improved. I would give it a try and see where it goes from there.
              Also, yes, please keep your tort in high humidity. Without it their eyes get really watery and their skin almost peels off in flakes.

Comment

Working...
              X