R. brevicaudatus- Pygmy Leaf Chams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R. brevicaudatus- Pygmy Leaf Chams

Well, after falling in love with Elmer, I knew I wanted to try breeding these guys. I was waiting until I got settled to purchase a tiny breeding group and finally got them in today.

The three you see in the photo are my ladies. The male ("Garth") is none-too-happy right now, so I'm giving him a chance to relax before snapping his pic.

Meet "Alice" (left), "Chub-O" (middle), and "Gracie" (right):
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Awww, they are too cute. Where did you get them? I've always been a chameleon fan, but have never had much luck with them. How hard is it to take care of the little pygmies since they are so small? Do they require really high humidity like other Chams?

Good luck with breeding them! (I've heard it's quite difficult.) Oh man, I can't even imagine how small the hatchlings must be. They probably have to eat microscopic insects.

P.S. You're just racking in new reptiles lately. (That blocked pattern Crested, Bree, 3 Satanics, 4 pygmies, rescued BP and Crested. I bet your driving your hubby crazy!)
    - Nicole -

Please visit http://www.aamds.org/aplastic/ for more information on Aplastic Anemia

Comment

so cute! RIP Elmer!

Comment

Originally posted by Niqui13
        P.S. You're just racking in new reptiles lately. (That blocked pattern Crested, Bree, 3 Satanics, 4 pygmies, rescued BP and Crested. I bet your driving your hubby crazy!)
        Yeah, and the dart frogs, red eyed tree frogs. What you'd do to get all the dough rob a bank.

Nice trio, I had a trio of Jacksons I liked them the best as they give live birth (It was amazing to see this) and the horns are a nice touch, but that was a couple years ago.
        Derek Dunlop
        DDReptiles
        www.DDReptiles.net
        Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Comment

Originally posted by Niqui13
          Awww, they are too cute. Where did you get them? I've always been a chameleon fan, but have never had much luck with them. How hard is it to take care of the little pygmies since they are so small? Do they require really high humidity like other Chams?

Good luck with breeding them! (I've heard it's quite difficult.) Oh man, I can't even imagine how small the hatchlings must be. They probably have to eat microscopic insects.

I purchased them from Reptile Depot, but don't think I'll ever order live from them again. They arrived half-frozen, no heat pack (in FEBRUARY, in COLORADO!!!), and I almost had a panic attack. I warmed them up gradually, though so they seem to be doing very well. Reptile Depot is GREAT for supplies... but this experience was just too scary. (First and probably LAST time ordering live.)

The pygmies aren't really hard to take care of at all as long as you give them enough room. The new guys are in their temporary "holding" terrarium until their 39 gallon naturalistic vivarium is finished. (Doing a step-by-step "How To" for Great Stuff naturalistic backgrounds and will post it on the forum, and probably on my site as well.) I spray them 2x a day, feed once a day, and enjoy! I definitely recommend purchasing the book "Stump Tailed Chameleons: Miniature Dragons of the Rainforest". It has a TON of great information and can be found at zoobooksales.com.

Food items are very small crickets, wax worms, mealworms... and even fruit flies!

One of my females appears that she MAY be gravid. ("Chub-O") Either that or she's just naturally "big-boned". LMBO!

I just find them adorable. The hubby is resigned to the fact that he can't stop my addiction. Lol. He was very helpful today while grabbing a few extra odds 'n ends at PetsMart, though. Barely any eye rolling and maybe just a sigh here and there. :razz:
          ~Sarah~
          www.CrestedLady.com

Comment

Originally posted by DDReptiles
            Yeah, and the dart frogs, red eyed tree frogs. What you'd do to get all the dough rob a bank.
            Lol. Nah, haven't resorted to robbing banks... yet.
            ~Sarah~
            www.CrestedLady.com

Comment

sarah,
              you keep getting new stuff! First the amphibs, then the satanics, now more leafies! I am so jealous!

Comment

Very cool Sarah! When the male is less stressed try and snap some pics of him! They look great!
                Steve Page

1.1 Anery Hondos
                1.1 Ball Pythons
                0.0.3 crested geckos (hopefully more soon!)
                1.1 Hypo Tangerine Leopard Geckos
                0.2 SHCT Leopard Geckos
                0.1 Albino Leopard Gecko

http://www.freewebs.com/coastalherper/index.htm

Comment

sarah you need to PM me when you get some eggs!

Comment

Working...
                  X