No announcement yet.

Which chameleon should I choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had good luck with my veiled. He has nice colors too. A bit of an attitude, which seems to thrill my husband. He gets all the attention when people come over too. Not bad for a gecko geek Mom! I bought mine from http://www.chameleonsonly.com/.
    Chris
    Beantown Reptiles
    email: beantownreptiles@me.com
    web: http://www.beantownreptiles.com

Comment

Originally posted by DDReptiles View Post
      I love Jacksons, they were quite easy to keep and breed, and they give live birth
      I second the above.
      "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Comment

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. Narrowing her choices made things much easier. So, she was going back & forth between veilds & jacksons, but finally decided that a veiled would be the winner. She's going to hold off on getting it for a while because she decided she wants do some remodeling & it just so happens that the room on the top of her remodel list is the room that the cham would be living in, so to save it the stress of moving around, she's just going to wait until after the room is finished. Plus, even if she put it in another room, there would still be construction noise & dust - & no one likes that. She's planned a great layout for the built-in bookcases/shelving in the "new" room & when all is said & done she's going to have a 4 wide x 6 tall (can't for the life of me remember the depth) cubby of sorts in which to build a custom cham enclosure. Should be awesome when everything is finished. I think its worth the wait. Besides, in the meantime this will give her the opportunity to change her mind 900 more times. She's still had her eye on cresties, though she's moved on from dart frogs to amazonian milk frogs (thanks compound B - I mentioned Freddy to her & now she's obsessed!!). Who knows what she'll get in the end. Knowing her, it'll be all of them! Anyway, thanks again everyone. I really appreciate it.
        -Kim
        5.3. Cresties - Maka, Cecilia, Mata, Professor Spottington, Oopsie, Seymore, Murphy, & Dinah
        1.1 RETF - Malvina & Reynold
        2.0 Red Eared Sliders - Peek-A-Boo & Aku
        1.0 Western Painted Turtle - Bosko
        1.2 Pups - Kineda (AkitaX), Goldie (Golden RetX), & Lucelli Jonas (Mini Doxie)
        2.0 Spoiled Pussy Cats - Finnegan & Frye
        & oodles of koi & other fresh water fish, all of whom I've named, but its far too long to list!

Comment

tell her to get a crested gecko instead
          2.1.0 Crested Geckos
          1.1.0 Leachianus Geckos
          1 dog "Bronson Dobbs"
          1 cat

Comment

ehh... Don't think veiled are always "best." They are probably the most hardy of all the ones available for pets, but they do certainly have a big drawback. They are the most aggressive and temperamental of all. The second "best" one has always been considered the panther chameleon. Also, they beat veileds in the color department as well. Their colors range from purple, yellow, orange, red, white, blue and pinks; sometimes all those colors at once! Whereas veileds are mostly green, maybe some tan yellow or orange. There are a lot of different choices out there for panthers because they come from madagascar there are many different color morphs that are separated by their different locales. I have a Nosy Be panther male and he's awesome. They don't get as large as veileds but have a much better disposition and are as "hardy" The one major concern is providing him with a basking, UVB lighting (12 hrs a day) and a misting or purchasing a mister. They will only drink from running water or wet leaves. You should also dust all their food items and they do tend to get "tired" of certain food items so variety is the key and you ultimately should start breeding your own feeders. I breed dubia roaches and it sucks, but it does save me the convenience of getting feeders and money. If you get a cham, you should really consider looking up info on dubia roach colony. 80% of cham owners have these roach colonies. But again, I would vote panthers all the way. The most popular locales are probably Ambilobe, Ambanja and Nosy Be. If you live in a cool/coastal zone like southern california you can also consider mountain or dwarf species like Jacksons or Brevis. These enjoy a range of 60's - 82's temperature. The fact of the matter is, you've come to a crested gecko forum to ask what people would consider a "best starter" cham. People here, i would say aren't that experienced. Go to chameleon forums and i'll guarantee it's hands down panther ambilobe or ambanja all the way for best starter cham.

Originally posted by AneesasMuse View Post
            Veiled Chameleons are the best "first" ..in my opinion and experience.

Comment

I love the veileds. My fiance had two that were awesome, and some little ones. The little ones were skittish but grew out of it. Kinda like cresteds in that regard. Probibly true for many animals. Molly loved to hang out on my fiance, I've never known any reptiles to be more friendly than these two. Molly was a rescue, but she had an amazing temperment. here's a few pics:
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X