Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which chameleon should I choose?

Hey all,
    So my mom has been hinting that she wants a chameleon & she knows I'm going to the show in Pomona, so I guess I'm expected to bring her one when I return. To be honest, I haven't done any research yet as far as housing, lighting, etc. I'm inquiring here first because I have heard that certain chameleons are harder to care for than others & I'm hoping someone here can give me some insight as to which chameleon would be a good "first chameleon" for her. After I narrow down which chameleons I should be looking at, then I will find out everything that is neccessary to care for that animal. This wouldn't be her first reptile, just her first chameleon, so its not like she's a total newbie.
    I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    -Kim
    5.3. Cresties - Maka, Cecilia, Mata, Professor Spottington, Oopsie, Seymore, Murphy, & Dinah
    1.1 RETF - Malvina & Reynold
    2.0 Red Eared Sliders - Peek-A-Boo & Aku
    1.0 Western Painted Turtle - Bosko
    1.2 Pups - Kineda (AkitaX), Goldie (Golden RetX), & Lucelli Jonas (Mini Doxie)
    2.0 Spoiled Pussy Cats - Finnegan & Frye
    & oodles of koi & other fresh water fish, all of whom I've named, but its far too long to list!

Veiled Chameleons are the best "first" ..in my opinion and experience.
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Bearded Pygmy Chameleons and Spectral Pygmy Chameleons are very hardy and easy to take care of.

But if you want a true, Old World chameleon, the Veiled Chameleon is the way to go. Cheap, hardy (for a cham), and easy to find...
      1.0 Bearded Dragon
      0.1.1 Leopard Geckos

Comment

a first time chameleom owner would probly be good with a vield or a panther. a vield is pretty cheap and hardy but the panther has alot more colors and varietes but is more on the expensive side.

by the way ill be there to see you at the show.

Comment

Vields are easy if you have the set up right. Some are just nasty SOBs though. They want to live though.

The Rhamps. and such are not hard either except the have short lifespans and you need to understand some reptiles like it cool. You need to be able to keep them cool too.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
            So I guess I'll be looking at veilds for her...although now she's flip flopping between a chameleon, a crestie, or dart frogs!! Moms, huh? I'll do my research on veilds and make sure it would be a good fit for her & then I think I'll just bring her to the show with me & let her pick for herself between the three critters she's considering. Thanks again for the input. I think I would have had a hard time narrowing it down on my own.
            Looking forward to meeting forum-folk at the show in Jan!
            -Kim
            5.3. Cresties - Maka, Cecilia, Mata, Professor Spottington, Oopsie, Seymore, Murphy, & Dinah
            & oodles of koi & other fresh water fish, all of whom I've named, but its far too long to list!

Comment

Just make sure she is ready to make space, imo an adult veiled should have at a 5'-6' tall cage that is at least 2'-2 1/2' wide, and invest in a misting system it will give the cham a regimented spray a couple times a day that way you don't have to worry about it getting dehydrated, also I would run a couple UVB bulbs over the cage they can get MBD very easily
              thanks,
              Brad

Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
              Rhacodactylus Auriculatus
              Rhacodactylus Leachianus (GTxisle E)

Comment

I love Jacksons, they were quite easy to keep and breed, and they give live birth
                Derek Dunlop
                DDReptiles
                www.DDReptiles.net
                Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Comment

What show in Pomona? I'm in OC and usually go to the Anaheim NARBC. As for your question, I like veileds...
                  ~ SoCal Geckos | Reptile Topsites | Leopard Gecko Caresheet | Leopard Gecko Genetics Guide ~

My Leopard Geckos
                  [1.0.0] SHT
                  [1.0.0] Adult Hi-Yellow
                  [0.1.0] Normal
                  [1.1.0] Tangerine Enigma het Bell
                  [0.1.0] RAPTOR
                  [1.0.0] Mack Snow het RAPTOR
                  [0.1.0] Mack Snow het Bell
                  [0.0.1] Juvy Tremper Albino

Comment

Originally posted by SCGeckos View Post
                    What show in Pomona? I'm in OC and usually go to the Anaheim NARBC. As for your question, I like veileds...
                    there is the reptile super show at pamona january 3-4.

Comment

Originally posted by coultrain View Post
                      there is the reptile super show at pamona january 3-4.
                      That's the one! This is my first show, so I'm really excited. I'm a chef, so I've been to plenty of culinary shows before, but those were all for work, so my whole vibe was different. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I'm very serious about my work & I carry myself accordingly when attending those shows. I am, afterall, representing my business. This is the first time I will be attending a show just for fun. I have been talking about it for weeks, apparently with a great deal of enthusiasm because it seems now that instead of rolling out solo, I will be accompanied by my bf & several of our friends. My bf said that I'm turning all of us into "gecko geeks". I am! Good for me!
                      -Kim

Comment

cool ill be seeing you at the show then. and go gecko geeks!

Comment

I thought I was the only gecko loving chef, damn there goes my uniqueness
                          oh I gotta disagree with dd I've had 2 jacksons and they we're really hard to keep, both ended up dying on me, one of the reasons I don't have chams anymore
                          Last edited by saint; 01-25-2009, 01:33 PM.
                          1 man dreamed of becoming, another awoke and became

7.10.7.11 crested geckos
                          0.1 gargoyle gecko (fry)
                          1.0 leopard gecko (lucky)
                          0.1 (I think) ocelated skink (slinky)

Comment

I would try veilds first. If you live near the coast in southern california you can keep veilds outdoors day and night year-round. Same goes for jacksons. Just be careful of ants. Josh

Comment

Originally posted by DDReptiles View Post
                              I love Jacksons, they were quite easy to keep and breed, and they give live birth
                              I agree and they aren't that expensive!
                              Monica Elrod
                              JM Geckos & Exotics
                              Greenville, SC

Comment

Working...
                              X