Tiger salamander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger salamander

I was thinking about starting a dubia roach colony for my cresteds and was wondering if the adult roaches are too big to feed off to my tiger salamanders? One of them does ok with worms and the other will not eat them at all, but they both devour crickets in a second, the roaches are quite a bit healthier than crickets correct? I have read they get to be about 2 in but are they pretty robust in size too?

The adults will be too big for your salamanders. They'd probably like young ones though.
    Ryan

Specializing in frogs, keeping all sorts of stuff.

Comment

Thanks, not sure if I will start a colony or not- I don't know if I would be able to control it if I can't feed them off quick enough or feed adults.

Comment

You can always put extra adults in the freezer and kill them off to control the size of the colony.
        Ryan

Specializing in frogs, keeping all sorts of stuff.

Comment

Great Idea! Duh! I was wondering how I could do it without having to smash a bunch while still alive- as I imagine it would be messy. Freezing seems so obvious now! Just have to decide where to buy from now. Thanks!

Comment

You don't even have to freeze them, just keep their temps lower than about 75 F and they'll stop reproducing.
            Believe me, its rather hard to get over run with the B. Dubias.
            And they're very easy to control populations of.
            Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Why not just let the colony expand.. When it gets to large pawn some off through the trade section on this site or craigslist?

People who keep herps almost will always buy some off you, especially if you get alot you can't handle.

Comment

Working...
              X