Do they ever stop eating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they ever stop eating?

My two firebelly toad females (?) have been doing well, since I got them in early/mid July. They are putting on weight well and are eating like champs. The first one I adopted is a porker. She will hop over and steal food from the other, even when I am feeding with tweezers. She will hop right on top of the other and steal her food.

Today I was feeding f/t bloodworms with a small syringe (no needle) and now the other toad was so excited she grabbed ahold of the other's face.

They will actually take their feet and push the other away. Keep in mind, these toads are each in great weight, even slightly round. They are fed variety, mealworms, small crickets, red wigglers, hornworms, and bloodworms.

I swear they would keep eating until they burst if I let them. I think I am going to need to start feeding them seperate, since I can't seem to keep them out of each other's business.

I love these little toads. They are so silly.

Mine all but stopped eating during the winter and now refuses to eat unless we put him in a tupperware and drop the food in front of him.

Now he eats every 2 days but only 1 prey item.

I think it's because he's getting old and it's too much work for him to be chasing things around.
    0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
    1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

1.1.0 Humans-Oscar Roland and Alice Scarlett

Comment

I figure mine are just very excited that food shows up regularly. They don't have to fight off a dozen other toads. Both of mine are missing a hand, which I suspect is due to a tankmate biting it while eating.

Comment

I'm trying really hard to resist setting up a water/land tank for a few of these guys. They are just too cute.
        A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

I was fighting it for a long time, but when these needed to be adopted, due to their missing hands, I gave in. Right now they are in a very basic 10gallon, with a Whisper internal filter, small turtle dock, and a deli cup that has eco earth in it. I figure that way I can quarantine and watch for problems and if anything shows up I can strip that down easier than the tank I am planning.

Comment

We had a tankfull of babies at work. A customer had a pair, they had babies and were sick of attempting to find fruit flies for the babies. Boy were they darn cute! We had about 15-20 of them, maybe 1/4" in a 7 gallon tank, enough water to cover their elbows, rocks and fake plants to climb up onto, and save the drowning fruit flies.
            lets just say I have a lot of stuff
            www.sublimereptiles.com
            Facebook
            BOI

Comment

I'm tempted to get a couple more but I don't think I have enough room in the tank that Spartacus is in. I think I would have to upgrade the tank as well as change the set up.

Right now he is in the 12x12x12 Exoterra that used to belong to Cornelius when she was a baby. He has cocofibre substrate, a coconut hide that he sleeps under at night, a few smooth rocks, a fake plant and a kitchen bowl as his water dish.
              0.2.0 Crested Geckos-Cornelius:aka Doodles, Sweetums, Little Miss and Nibbler:aka BooBoo, Miss Boo and SqueakaBoo
              1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

Comment

If you are going to get more, then I would upgrade the tank to something bigger. 12x12x12 is not big enough to house multiple FBT's in.
                www.FrogFreaks.com Come get you Freak On!!

Comment

I don't think I'll get any more at the moment.

Apparently the hubby thinks we have enough pets as it is.
                  1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

Comment

Pictures!
                    Green Spot toad:

Brown toad:

Both:

Comment

Brown toad is a little porker!!!
                      1.0.0 FBT-Spartacus

Comment

The pictures were from right after they finished eating bloodworms. They are both round, but not that round. I am trying to get/keep weight on them, since I have seen so many that are very underweight/skeletal.

Comment

ok, I gave in. I have been changing everyone around for the upcoming fall/winter. The cresteds were just getting too warm in the room with many heat loving herps, so they got moved to the opposite side of the house. Summer brings the AC or open windows and the ambient temp stays at acceptable levels. Winter brings a closed up house, so the room actually gets hotter. Other heps got moved into the warmer room and by nightfall many were in different cages with sparkling clean decor and substrate.

All the moving around left the bottom of a double 29g/20L stand empty. hmmmm, what to do? LOL

Unfortunately I did not have another 20L on hand, but had some 10's and 29's. I went with the 10 and will do a pair (wondering if a trio would work though) of FB's. The 29 seemed like a lot of wasted space height wise, and went to the top of the bottom of the stand, leaving little to no room for care access. The silicone on the 10 is drying as we speak for the land/water divider. I'd like to get a male/female, or preferably two females and 1 male for better distribution of bossiness. But I don't want to stuff them in there like sardines. I'm reading that it's not difficult to sex them (males have different toe pads on the front), but then reading that these toe pads are somewhat difficult to see. So we'll see if I get lucky.
                          A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

I read somewhere about sexing based on toe length on the back feet. From what I remember the male have webbing further to the end of the long toe on the back foot and the females have less webbing (like sticking out a ring finger). It is somewhere in the forum of www.caudata.org, I will look when I have a bit more time.

Comment

Apparently the males and females have different middle toes one their back feet so you can tell by that also. Ive tried to look at them on my FBTs but they all look the same to me. but ive still seen them doing their business together
                              --Brian--

Comment

Working...
                              X