Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cgigecko
    replied
    yea nice pic of the spotted salamander, they are one of the coolest creatures! i havent found one since i moved to pa, but i did find a gorgeous red salamander that i was thrilled about -=)

Leave a comment:

• kehroscene
    replied
    The Spotted Salamanders are amazing creatures. I love the second picture where you can see his sides. It seems like you could reach out and feel his foldyness.

Leave a comment:

• Peter_Alexander
    replied
    Very nice! I love Ambystomas, especially maculatum & opacum.

Leave a comment:

• Salzy
    replied
    Yeah, Arkansas has a great diversity. I'd love to get back down there to do some herping. Thanks again for posting the pics. It's great to see someone catching herps already.

Leave a comment:

• Donn S
    replied
    I guess some of the salamanders up here in MI start breeding while there's still snow on the ground. I haven't seen it for myself, just read it in a MI field guide to amphibians.
    Crazy stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ShadowKorin
    replied
    Yep, definitely the south. Arkansas, to be exact. We had an out of season warm rain: ~70 F and it rained for a couple of nights straight. Perfect herping weather! Course, the next night it was back in the 30's. We actually have a pretty good distribution of herps down here. The geography can support a wide variety of niches. High elevations with mountain streams, bottom land swamp, and coastal flood plains make for great variety.

Leave a comment:

• Salzy
    replied
    What state are you located in? I know that it must be way south of me, due to the Southern Leopard frog you have pictured. I'm in WI and have been anxiously awaiting spring to find some salamanders. It's been a no-go though because of such horribly cold weather and ridiculous amounts of snow.

Great finds though for it being so early. I can't wait to get out field herping.

Leave a comment:

• ShadowKorin
    replied
    the salamanders were a complete surprise. Never thought they would be breeding this early, but we saw at least 25 different animals laying eggs. It was actually my first time to see a salamander in the wild. The excitement will be memorable for a very long time. I'm hoping to see all kinds this spring season!

Leave a comment:

• Donn S
    replied
    Awesome salamander and sweet frogs. From your pictures it seems a little easier to tell the two apart than in some books I've looked at.
    We've got Spotted here but all I've ever seen is the Red-backed (which I was totally geeked to finally find in the wild last fall).

Leave a comment:

• ShadowKorin
    started a topic Spotted Salamander and some Ranids

Spotted Salamander and some Ranids

Ambystoma maculatum (spotted salamanders) have got to be some of the most gorgeous animals that walk the face of this planet. I'm currently taking a herpetology course and we caught this guy a couple of nights ago. He's going home today, but I had to share some pictures.

And we picked up a couple of pickerel frogs and a leopard frog.

Rana palustris (pickerel frog)

Rana sphenocephala (leopard frog)
Working...
X