Anyone know anything about turtles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dellessanna View Post
    Yes, but it would still have a hinge? >.> Even if it can't use it fully.
    That I can't answer.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyCrestie View Post
      That I can't answer.
      :\ I think the hinge developes around a year of age. And if it's over four years old. I dunno. I'm completely puzzled. O_o

Comment

Originally posted by dellessanna View Post
        :\ I think the hinge developes around a year of age. And if it's over four years old. I dunno. I'm completely puzzled. O_o
        His eyes look 3 toed boxie to me, but the rest of him doesn't quite fit the ones I've seen. He is awfully cute though. It'll be interesting to see what this forum says...never seen them not be able to ID something someone posted, and there have been some WEIRD species posted.

Gothicgeckos - someone on the turtle forum is asking if you have any other pictures they can take a look at, specifically the plastron (which is the belly) or answer if there is any kind of hinge on it.

This person also said it could be a hybrid, so I'm thinking that could explain why there are so many guesses.

edited - whoops, I see now that you said in a follow up post that there is no hinge. Sorry 'bout that.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyCrestie View Post
          His eyes look 3 toed boxie to me, but the rest of him doesn't quite fit the ones I've seen. He is awfully cute though. It'll be interesting to see what this forum says...never seen them not be able to ID something someone posted, and there have been some WEIRD species posted.
          That was why I originally said greek tortoise. He's colored a lot like one, and his shell doesn't have a box turtle look. It's too ridged. O_o But his face...ugh. It's gonna drive me crazy!

Comment

Can you post a few more pictures to help the ID? Especially a shot of the underside. Thanks!

~ Nick
            0.0.4 Correlophus ciliatus
            0.0.10 Anolis carolinensis

Comment

Okay, this is what you absolutely must do (btw, I have aldabras, sulcattas, marginateds, burmese black mt torts and columbian redfoots here in Dayton, Ohio). Go to http://www.turtletimes.com/Forums/ and go straight to the Terrific Tortoise section. I swear, this is the most incredibly well educated group I have ever known about tort and turts. Post good clear pictures of the carapace and the plastron.

There are several hybrids and varieties of box turtles and I see them all the time when I go camping and then there are the gulf coast boxies, the ornates, the easterns the three toes.... lol. I know nothing of box turtles but I will throw my dime in for that. There are diehard boxie breeders and conservation guys who will be able to help you there.
              I will look for you!

bests,
              angela
              It is a grand thing to know our vices.
              Cicero

Comment

So far the general consensus is that it looks like a 3-toed, but they'd like a belly pic to confirm. They also said the humidity is likely far too low and the cage is too small.

FWIW, the forum this is posted on is the turtletimes forum. And yes, they are a great group.

Comment

I just came in on the tail end of this, but have you tried tweaking the humidity a bit? When I first got Joob, she was having some serious eating issues. She's a RedFoot, so not exactly YOUR turtle... but getting her more humid and using a little tough love encouraged her to eat.

Prior to being with me, she would only eat dead goldfish and dead waxworms... really stinky ones. Once I got her here, I got her temps to about 90F on the warm end... in her hide... and the humidity is in the 80s. It took her a week or so to realize that it was going to be veggies or veggies.

Once she started eating the veggies, I started to alternate a day with fruits. Accomplished that and now she gets some high quality kitty kibble, rehydrated, once a week or less often. She goes outside in her enclosure, so she gets plenty of slugs and snails... protein. I supplement her foods every other time, also.

Anyhow... said all this to say.. maybe try boosting her humidity a little. I have no idea what she is, but higher humidity may entice her to eat better.

I offer dandelions, chicory, escarole, chopped or grated carrots and butternut squash, occasional collards and mustards or bok choi.. she eats papaya and mango, strawberries, grapes... and she really likes to share Hugo's "beardie bites" (Nature Zone)

Good Luck with her/him!!

~Aminah
                  "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Try feeding insects . . .

Comment

Working...
                    X