Anyone know anything about turtles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about turtles?

I was hoping that someone could tell me what this little guy is... I've had him for about 4 years now and I have yet to have someone properly ID him. I ask 8 people, I get 8 different answers! I've got him in a 29g Long tank, with some heat on one end (85-90 F) and a cool side with a dish of water and what-not... He's about 4-5 inches SVL... My grandma found him in her garden 4 summers ago... I just really want to know what kind of "proper" habitat he needs, instead of just a middle ground... and what he would eat... his appetite has really diminished over the past 2 years or so... he'll eat, but not like I think he should be eating... we're feeding him some box turtle pellets soaked in water... and he eats about 10-15 pellets every 4-5 days or so... he turns his nose up at everything else and just hides in the corner of the tank under the heat lamp all day and night.... He's pooping ok, so I know he's eating... I just would like some help... thanks in advance!!

~AnnaLe~
    ~GothicGeckos~
    Got Gecko?

O_o Where does your grandmother live?

Comment

We all live in the Cincinnati, Ohio area... out in the suburbs... not the city... not sure if that helps?? We were thinking at the time that maybe he was somebody's pet and they let him go or something... She lives miles and miles from any water sources (ponds, creeks, etc.)... not that he's an aquatic turtle, but you'd just assume that turtles and water kind of go together...
      ~GothicGeckos~
      Got Gecko?

Comment

Originally posted by GothicGeckos View Post
        We all live in the Cincinnati, Ohio area... out in the suburbs... not the city... not sure if that helps?? We were thinking at the time that maybe he was somebody's pet and they let him go or something... She lives miles and miles from any water sources (ponds, creeks, etc.)... not that he's an aquatic turtle, but you'd just assume that turtles and water kind of go together...
        Yeah, he would have have to have been someone's pet since tortoises are not native to that area, and he's certainly not a box turtle. He/she kinda looks like a greek tortoise to me. At least that was my first impression. http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/t...k-tortoise.php The color is right in anycase.

Comment

A Greek Tortoise!?! That's the first time anyone has given me that answer, LOL... Ok, so suppose s/he is a greek tortoise... how do I get him to eat????? I've tried the leafy greens, dandelions, etc. and nothing... won't even look at them... maybe soak them in fruit juice?? It sounds like I may want to do some more looking into this species. And any more info you, or anyone may have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much!
          ~GothicGeckos~
          Got Gecko?

Comment

I don't have a clue what kind of turtle he/she is and I don't know much about turtles in general. I do know that my grandmother always had turtles in her backyard and she fed them. They were wild, but they knew that when she went into her garden that she took food for them and they would come out when she was outside. It was really strange, like they were dogs begging for scraps. She has that effect on animals. Anyway, she rarely took veggies. She would give them meat. Usually raw hamburger. I am not suggesting giving raw hamburger to your tortoise, I've heard that is a big no-no. But you may want to try some meat. I think I remember earthworms being an ok food. Anyway, all this to say s/he may not be a vegetarian. Good Luck with him/her. That is a very pretty tortoise.
            Suzanne
            8.12.10 Crested Gecko
            0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
            1.0 Bearded Dragon
            1.1 cats
            1.1 dogs
            1.2 humans, subadults
            1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Comment

Have you tried lettuce or Kale? And How warm are you keeping him? Do you have a UVB light on him? I know my African Spur thigh throws a fit and won't eat if he isn't warm enough.

Comment

Looks like a box turtle to me...
                3.6.3 Crested Geckos
                0.0.1 Bearded dragon
                0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
                0.0.1 Axolotl
                1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
                Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Comment

It is not a greek tortise for sure!!

My best guess would be a type of box turtle (maybe an ornate box turtle?), not really a lot of tortises in the Cincinatti area.
                  Derek Dunlop
                  DDReptiles
                  www.DDReptiles.net
                  Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Comment

Originally posted by DDReptiles View Post
                    It is not a greek tortise for sure!!

My best guess would be a type of box turtle (maybe an ornate box turtle?), not really a lot of tortises in the Cincinatti area.
                    O_o Ornate box turtles aren't that color. And neither are eastern. Could be a three-toed I guess. But as we said earlier, pets escape. Hell I live in Indiana and found a parakeet in my back yard once.

Comment

I was thinking maybe a 3-toed boxie, but I know my water turtles much better than I know tortoises so I asked on a turtle forum and we'll see whats what. These people know their stuff so I'd imagine you'll have an accurate answer fairly quickly.

And my guess, based on reading the forum, is that a 29g is totally inadequate for a boxie as well as the diet being pellets. I believe those guys are veggie eaters and if you look at the ingredients of those pellets they are primarily corn based.
                      A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

Garg... see, this is what I mean about getting 8 people with 8 different answers, LOL! I've heard that he may be an eastern box turtle, but aren't box turtles carapice's supposed to be "hinged" so that they close when the turtle holes up in the shell?? Squirt's shell isn't hinged, so that's why I dismissed the box turtle theory. Although I did see a picture once and I would have sworn it was my turtle... I just don't know.

And his basking side is about 88F, and the cool side is about 75F. And I've tried to get him to eat EVERYTHING. Including hamburger, rolled with calcium powder and supplements... nothing. He loved "pill bugs" when we first got him, now he won't even look at them. He does eat the box turtle pellets we put in there, but it just doesn't seem like he's eating like a turtle should eat. He loves to be put in a small dish of warm water for a few minutes and that always seems to wake him up some. He usually eats a bit after that, but no more than a bite or two. Then it's back off to hide under the heat lamp. I thought that maybe he wasn't hot enough, so I got a hotter bulb and tried that... he does eat a little more now, but not much. It's so frustrating. And he's survived this long, but he just doesn't seem like a very happy turtle.

Also, he's really young. I'd say maybe 5 years old at the most. He's only a few inches long, about 4 I'd say. So do you really think a 29g is too small? He's got a UVB bulb, too (forgot to mention). And I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone on any turtle boards. 30 different answers, and every one that I looked up care sheets for, didn't even come close to looking like Squirt. *sigh*
                        ~GothicGeckos~
                        Got Gecko?

Comment

Originally posted by GothicGeckos View Post

Garg... see, this is what I mean about getting 8 people with 8 different answers, LOL! I've heard that he may be an eastern box turtle, but aren't box turtles carapice's supposed to be "hinged" so that they close when the turtle holes up in the shell?? Squirt's shell isn't hinged, so that's why I dismissed the box turtle theory. Although I did see a picture once and I would have sworn it was my turtle... I just don't know.

And his basking side is about 88F, and the cool side is about 75F. And I've tried to get him to eat EVERYTHING. Including hamburger, rolled with calcium powder and supplements... nothing. He loved "pill bugs" when we first got him, now he won't even look at them. He does eat the box turtle pellets we put in there, but it just doesn't seem like he's eating like a turtle should eat. He loves to be put in a small dish of warm water for a few minutes and that always seems to wake him up some. He usually eats a bit after that, but no more than a bite or two. Then it's back off to hide under the heat lamp. I thought that maybe he wasn't hot enough, so I got a hotter bulb and tried that... he does eat a little more now, but not much. It's so frustrating. And he's survived this long, but he just doesn't seem like a very happy turtle.

Also, he's really young. I'd say maybe 5 years old at the most. He's only a few inches long, about 4 I'd say. So do you really think a 29g is too small? He's got a UVB bulb, too (forgot to mention). And I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone on any turtle boards. 30 different answers, and every one that I looked up care sheets for, didn't even come close to looking like Squirt. *sigh*
                          Yup, if he isn't hinged he isn't a box turtle. So some kind of tortoise then. Sheesh. WEll we know what he isn't. Which helps. He isn't a Sulcatta. Or a Leopard, apancake, a gopher, or a star. Definately not a russian either. O_o

Comment

The hinge thing is actually a bit inaccurate. I don't know the age (like I said, water turtle person since that's what I have ), but I have read on this forum that the hinging thing doesn't fully work until they are older.

I would think at this age, it would be able to full enclose itself. Though at that size, the turt sounds awfully small and may be underdeveloped depending on the conditions he came from originally and whether his diet is appropriate for optimum development and growth.
                            A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyCrestie View Post
                              The hinge thing is actually a bit inaccurate. I don't know the age (like I said, water turtle person since that's what I have ), but I have read on this forum that the hinging thing doesn't fully work until they are older.

I would think at this age, it would be able to full enclose itself. Though at that size, the turt sounds awfully small and may be underdeveloped depending on the conditions he came from originally and whether his diet is appropriate for optimum development and growth.
                              Yes, but it would still have a hinge? >.> Even if it can't use it fully.

Comment

Working...
                              X