PDA

View Full Version : Oppose Python Ban Campaign!!! Let's Get Rocking!!!!

SouthernCat
12-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Oppose Python Ban Campaign

S373 aka the ‘Python Ban’ goes to “Mark Up” before the Senate Environment & Public Works (EPW) Committee on Thursday, December 10, 2009. If passed as written this bill could add ALL 40 species of Python, and possibly Boa Constrictor to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. This would ban the import, export and interstate transport of ALL animals listed. Last week USARK led a very successful grass roots campaign to oppose S373 in the Senate EPW committee. The Reptile Nation weighed in and the committee got our message. Now the bill will go to “Mark Up” where it can be amended.

Calling on all the committee members again may not be the best way to influence them. They know what we want and how many people in the Reptile Nation care about this issue. We don’t feel that just calling them again will be effective. USARK is calling for a MASSIVE email campaign directed to all major media outlets to try and draw attention to the issue. If we can generate 10’s of thousands of emails we will create a media story that will bring attention to this issue that politicians and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) don’t want. This has to be a massive effort. We are facing annihilation as an industry and hobby. NOW is the time to stand up and make a difference. Every single person who participates WILL make a difference!

We also want to contact President Obama. He has declared that he wants to be more accessible to the American public than any President before him. He has set up a website and email portal to address issues of lost jobs. If S373 passes thousands of jobs will be lost and thousands of American families will be bankrupted at the hands of ambitious politicians and incompetent government agencies. Please contact the President and let him know you don’t want his government to destroy your hobby or livelihood!

Please follow these simple steps:
1. Contact The Media; Pythons Politics & Destruction of the American Dream Campaign. Click on this link to send a hard hitting email to all the big media outlets: http://usark.org/campaign.php?id=9
2. Contact President Obama. Click on this link to let the President know you oppose S373 and the destruction of American jobs: http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact

Obama Sample Letter: cut and paste in whitehouse contact portal above

President Obama,
S373 aka the Python Ban is being considered in the Senate right now. It will destroy thousands of jobs and bankrupt thousands of American families. The bill has been sensationalized and politicized and has no basis in real science. In fact a report generated by USGS to justify this bill has been called unscientific by an independent panel of scientists. It is being pushed by powerful special interest groups and it will hurt me financially. It is a confiscation of my personal property rights and will not solve the problems proponents claim it addresses. This is clearly a situation that has become politically driven and ignores science that does not support S373. Please do not allow politics to trump good science and sound policy. This is wrong and you promised in your election campaign not to allow situations like this to occur. Please stop S373.

***Join the Reptile Nation!

1. Click the 'Donate Button' at the top of the page to donate to USARK. Your donation will be matched dollar for dollar by Zoo Med.

2. Click the 'Become a Member' link at the bottom of the page to Join the Reptile Nation. These battles are costly we need your support!

3. Click the 'Twitter Button' at the top of the page to follow USARK for fast breaking updates.

Forward this Alert to everyone you know... your friends, email lists, forums, social networking sites... everyone! This will only work if EVERYONE participates!! We must generate 10's of thousands of responses. Do it now! Go, GO, GO!!!!!

Lance Portal Reptiles
12-07-2009, 02:15 PM
did it.........come on people, they will be after all reptiles next, even if you dont have or dont want them, help us fellow reptile keepers, breeders and those that want them in the furture........its easy to do, USARK did all the work, just put your name in...lp

leogecko88
12-07-2009, 08:33 PM
I just did it too. It is very easy!

foxe
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
If they manage to pass this, I can't imagine cats and dogs would be safe for much longer. It would be harder to ban them due to their popularity, but once precedent is set, it's difficult to reverse.

abi21491
12-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I did my part yesterday, and had my mom and dad do it too. This seriously takes only 2 minutes guys, if you haven't done it get to it. Even if you don't keep snakes this could be an example of what there is to come... They may be after our geckos sooner or later. Better stop it before it is too late.

dbarrm
12-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Has anyone here read about the problem we are having here in S Florida with all these pet snakes that have been released into the everglades??? Just something to think about.

Dan

abi21491
12-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Has anyone here read about the problem we are having here in S Florida with all these pet snakes that have been released into the everglades??? Just something to think about.

Dan

I hope you're joking, but just in case, read this.

http://www.vpi.com/sites/vpi.com/files/OnBurmese_Florida_compressed.pdf

Those snakes aren't released pets, they were released by a hurricane. and they aren't causing problems in the Everglades. Even if they go down there daily with people hunting the snakes, it isn't going to change the fact that they are there. They are there for good now as part of the ecosystem and we'll just have to deal with it. Most of the life in the Everglades isn't naturally native there anyway. This article explains it well :)

foxe
12-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Dan

The non-native wildlife currently occupying the Everglades is a problem, but punishing everyone across the board certainly isn't the answer, nor will it even solve the problem. Those animals will still be in the Everglades, ban or no ban.

SouthernCat
12-09-2009, 06:15 PM
The non-native wildlife currently occupying the Everglades is a problem, but punishing everyone across the board certainly isn't the answer, nor will it even solve the problem. Those animals will still be in the Everglades, ban or no ban.

AMEN!!!!!!

foxe
12-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I hope you're joking, but just in case, read this.

http://www.vpi.com/sites/vpi.com/files/OnBurmese_Florida_compressed.pdf

Those snakes aren't released pets, they were released by a hurricane. and they aren't causing problems in the Everglades. Even if they go down there daily with people hunting the snakes, it isn't going to change the fact that they are there. They are there for good now as part of the ecosystem and we'll just have to deal with it. Most of the life in the Everglades isn't naturally native there anyway. This article explains it well :)

I've started reading that, and so far it's very interesting. I like the idea presented of shutting down international shipments of tropical exotic species in Florida, and instead moving those shipments to a northern port. I would think that would help prevent escapees from settling in and thriving, as the ecosystem wouldn't be to their liking.

/goes back to reading

dbarrm
12-09-2009, 07:35 PM
I was not saying im for or against the ban, just pointing out a problem we have here in my area. A total ban does nothing but I agree with the point above of moving the import port to a northern area where loose species will not adapt so easily.

Dan

abi21491
12-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I've started reading that, and so far it's very interesting. I like the idea presented of shutting down international shipments of tropical exotic species in Florida, and instead moving those shipments to a northern port. I would think that would help prevent escapees from settling in and thriving, as the ecosystem wouldn't be to their liking.

/goes back to reading

I agree, I think moving the port to a northern location would be a simple solution to a big problem. BUT, they know they can make money off of this whole thing so they don't want to do that. Just another example of politicians taking advantage of the people they are supposed to be helping.

foxe
12-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah, all that money to research the problem. Plus moving the shipment location would take money away from the Florida port.

abi21491
12-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I was not saying im for or against the ban, just pointing out a problem we have here in my area. A total ban does nothing but I agree with the point above of moving the import port to a northern area where loose species will not adapt so easily.

Dan

Gotcha ;) I wasn't trying to come down on you or anything, I just thought that information would be helpful for you and others to read. I think it is very interesting myself :)

A ban is a really dumb idea, considering the southern part of Florida is the only place in the US these snakes can even survive. Plus, since it wasn't the fault of owners that the snakes got down there they are punishing us for something a natural disaster did. They don't have one record of someone releasing their pet snake into the wild - know why? Because people would much rather sell the thing on craigslist or hoobly than just let it go.

If they ban these snakes justifying it with the few deaths they've racked up in the last 30 years (isn't it something like 11 or less in that span of time?) they might as well get on banning cats, because you know, people get cat scratch fever or allergic reactions and die too :rollseyes: and I better not forget to mention how many deaths dogs cause every year. Oh what about cars? and guns? and people??? That last one is the worst of all! In all seriousness though, bans like these are always a bad idea. I just hope everyone does their part and stops it before it goes any further.

foxe
12-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Plus it doesn't really make sense for them to target burmese pythons. Judging from the report you posted, the Everglades sounds like it's become a zoo of non-native plants and animals. It'd be impossible for them to remove them all from the area. If not for all the bugs that are sure to be swarming the place, I'd love to go exploring there, bet it would be a blast.

abi21491
12-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Plus it doesn't really make sense for them to target burmese pythons. Judging from the report you posted, the Everglades sounds like it's become a zoo of non-native plants and animals. It'd be impossible for them to remove them all from the area. If not for all the bugs that are sure to be swarming the place, I'd love to go exploring there, bet it would be a blast.

Exactly. So many parts of the Everglades are inaccessible to humans anyway, and you bet that is where the snakes are living the most. It is just a battle they will never win - I am sure they know this, but like I said before... Money. Money is the root of all evil! The treesnakes in Guam should be the biggest proof of this. and those actually ARE invasive, unlike the Burmese. The Burmese are just not native.

dbarrm
12-09-2009, 09:21 PM
As for inaccessible, if you lived here you would think different. All the air boats, swamp buggies and the like. Its funny when you see people hunting dear on a air boat. I love to bass fish. Going out deep in the everglades on an air boat is some good fishing. Now Ive never seen a big snake out in the glades but we did fine one at Homestead AFB that was about 14 feet long, I had no idea what type it was but it was about to go on the runway and its not thing an F-16 wants to run over so they killed it.

Dan

abi21491
12-09-2009, 09:23 PM
As for inaccessible, if you lived here you would think different. All the air boats, swamp buggies and the like. Its funny when you see people hunting dear on a air boat. I love to bass fish. Going out deep in the everglades on an air boat is some good fishing. Now Ive never seen a big snake out in the glades but we did fine one at Homestead AFB that was about 14 feet long, I had no idea what type it was but it was about to go on the runway and its not thing an F-16 wants to run over so they killed it.

Dan

By inaccessible I meant on foot. There is a ton of space in the Everglades that snakes can go that people can't, lol.