PDA

View Full Version : Senator Nelson Press Conference on Python Ban

Lunar Gecko
05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Alert: Senator Nelson Press Conference on Python Ban S373

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY: Senator Nelson, Fl, Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar, and Florida Governor Charlie Crist are holding a joint news conference to address invasive species in the Everglades. USARK believes this is an effort to raise awareness about S373 (the python ban) and position it as a solution to feral Burmese Pythons in the Everglades. USARK opposes S373 and maintains that passage of this bill would fail to address the issue of pythons in the Everglades. There is not a shred of scientific evidence to support that this bill would have any effect whatsoever on the Everglades. This bill is extremely short and could pass the Senate with very little consideration. If it gains the impetus to move forward it's effects on hobbyists, breeders, zoos, animal outreach programs and the Herp industry overall would be devastating.

It's time to get the Reptile Nation ramped up again to fight this misguided and flawed legislative proposal! USARK will keep the Reptile Nation apprised of the situation as it develops. Please be ready to take action in large numbers when we call for it!

Thank you,
USARK

Secretary Salazar, Gov. Crist and Sen. Nelson to Visit Florida Everglades, Receive Briefing on Invasive Species, Hold Media Availability

On Thursday, May 28, 2009, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar, Governor Charlie Crist and Senator Bill Nelson will visit the Florida Everglades where they will receive a briefing on invasive species control and the Burmese python, make an airboat tour of Alligator Bay and hold a media availability at Mile Marker 41. Interior Assistant Secretary for Fish, Wildlife and Parks Tom Strickland will accompany the Secretary.

Who: Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar, Governor Charlie Crist, U.S. Senator Bill Nelson, Interior Assistant Secretary Tom Strickland

What: Visit to Florida Everglades Alligator Bay and media availability.

When: Thursday, May 28 2009; airboat tour starts at 10 a.m.; media availability at 12 Noon.

Where: Everglades Alligator Alley (I-75) Mile Marker 41.

Media: Credentialed media are invited to join the media availability at 12:00 Noon. Media wishing to participate are asked to contact Sen. Nelsonís office at 202-224-1679 to register for the media availability.

Bob
05-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Will this bill ban all pythons?

Lunar Gecko
05-28-2009, 08:06 PM
here is a link so you can read up on it.

http://www.reptilechannel.com/media/reptile-news/2009/02/20/proposed-python-ban.aspx.pdf

Styx
05-30-2009, 07:24 PM
I've been followin this bill also. While I agree banning the snakes will not do anything for Florida's problems (like closing the gate after all the horses have gotten out, besides that it's not state by state but over the US again) at the same time I realize that in this instance pet owners are to blame for Florida's invasive pythons.

I'm curious what everyone else's take on it is.

Lunar Gecko
05-30-2009, 08:52 PM
I think the bill is ONE idea. I think a better idea would be to require chipping of any large snake species and hold the owner responsible for any damages the snake causes or a fine if the snake gets out. Same thing I think should be required of any cat or dog owner.

Styx
05-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I definitely agree that would help A LOT more. But what I also don't understand is why that's never come up? I don't think I've ever seen any legislation proposed on mandatory chipping of large reptiles. Is it just psychos pushing an agenda to ban all exotics, or are they really just that ignorant and stupid, or did I somehow miss when it was proposed?

Lunar Gecko
05-30-2009, 11:37 PM
The problem is chipping is an answer and groups like PETA and HSUS who are the main backers and writers of these bills arnt looking for answers. They are using issues like invasive species and the everglades as the platform for the bills as a way to get there real goal into law. PETA has a "goal" listed on there webpage...found it at one point cant find it now...the goal was by 2050 NO animals be kept domesticated in the USA. Scary that they think that they can do it and these bills are just one more step for them in that direction.

Styx
05-31-2009, 12:47 AM
Yeah, that's exactly what I was curious about. If these bills are just to appease these organizations rather than wanting to offer real solutions.

And I absolutely agree, it is a pretty scary idea especially when little by little, progress is being made towards PETA’s goal.

I saw a little icony thing on breed bans that kind of reminds me of this (just replace dog breeds with reptiles, then birds, then cats, then dogs if we're going by what PETA wants).
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/m_10b171842d11ad1355b5365760224297.gif

Lunar Gecko
06-01-2009, 02:02 PM
There is a CA bill that was voted on last week that makes it so you MUST fix your cat or dog unless you pay a permit for each animal you want to breed. Personally I like the idea but sent in letter against it because its on more step twords PETAs and HSUS goals. If it had been reworded to were one owner could get an all encompassing permit for all there cats and dogs I would have been 100% for it.

Styx
06-01-2009, 04:52 PM
I absolutely agree. It's getting out of control I think, the degree of control the government wants over our lives and the degree of control PETA and HSUS has over the government.

cml3.0
06-01-2009, 07:20 PM
I totally agree that the government needs to step back and stop limiting what we individuals have, if it isn't harmful to others why should they be able to tell us what we can and can't have.
I also agree they are using the harmful to the environment angle because it is such a huge deal right now. Not saying anything is wrong with that and I am for going green but banning reptiles is not part of going green.

Lunar Gecko
06-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Agreed! The thing is if it was not for the exotic pet trade a good deal of species would be much closer to extinction or just plan extinct. That kind of anti "green" IMHO. Most zoos don't even breed many of there own animals and work with the pet trade/breeders for the exhibit animals.

Styx
06-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I like they always blame the pet trade for the depletion of reptiles, fish, and amphibs in the wild Lunar Gecko. And while that may be true in a small part to some species (and maybe a large part in a few, I won't deny that) they like to ignore the real reason most species are threatened or endangered - habitat loss. Because it's easy to target the pet trade and ban the animals there, but it's a lot more difficult to stop deforistization in the face of human greed and overpopulation or simple laziness in the form of pollution.

Personally, I'd rather have every single Hypancistrus Zebra plucked from the wild if it saves them from vanishing from this planet all together.
http://www.zebrapleco.com/habitat.php