PDA

View Full Version : New updates on HR 669

Lunar Gecko
04-24-2009, 10:06 PM
I am going to keep posting updates for HR 669 here. It seems a lot of people think this is dead. Its not. Here is the newest from today... 4/25/09.
Subscribe to this tread to get the newest updates. I will keep up on this as best as I can.

http://nohr669.com/blog/?p=223&cpage=1#comment-294

MaddoxDobes
04-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Thank you Sarah!

Draco_2009
04-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks, Lunar. So much appreciated.

Lunar Gecko
04-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Newest...

http://nohr669.com/blog/?p=229

I'll keep posting as I find out more.

Lunar Gecko
04-27-2009, 03:09 PM
More....

Great Job... But it's NOT Over!!

Congratulations on a Job Well Done with HR669... but that was just the first Battle. We are fighting a war!

The effort put forth by the Reptile Nation in opposing HR669 was nothing less than monumental. A real letter campaign like that hasn't been seen in a long time. It made a HUGE impression. USARK is so very proud that the community has pulled together like never before to fight this bill. We gained an important preliminary victory... but this is far from over. It was just round one.

USARK has learned that the Defenders of Wildlife, Humane Society of the United States and The Nature Conservancy are going to meet with Delegate Bordallo's Subcommittee Staff in early May. The word is that they will be discussing a rewrite of HR669. They are expected to actually change the bill very little. The idea is to cut deals with the biggest opponents of the bill. We believe any proposal that involves a "white list" or a complicated permit system is a Deal Breaker for the Reptile Nation. That scenario we believe would eliminate the majority of animals and most hobbyist breeders. USARK will never endorse a deal that sacrifices any of our brothers and sisters.

This NEW bill is likely to be reintroduced under a new number in order to lose the stigma of HR669 as a tainted bill. It will cause confusion, but USARK will keep the Reptile Nation apprised of the facts as they develop.

Stay tuned to the latest developments on the USARK website. Prepare yourself for battle.

USARK

Styx
04-27-2009, 08:17 PM
I know I'll be ready for the next fight.

Lunar Gecko
04-29-2009, 08:04 PM
http://nohr669.com/blog/?p=242

and

http://nohr669.com/blog/?p=238

There was also an article in pet today mag. I'm gonna see if I can find a link.

MaddoxDobes
04-29-2009, 08:35 PM
TY Lunar

Lunar Gecko
04-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Click the link, click reptiles and take a look.

http://www.invasive.org/species.cfm

These animals will be SOME of whats on the list if HR 669 passes.

BooRadleyAMG
04-30-2009, 07:56 PM
The list as in? The list of pets allowed? or list of not allowed?

I see Texas Horned Lizard is on the list.
I'm confused, is Texas no longer part of the US? Has it become Mexico? LOL!

Gecko_Haven
04-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Well,that will affect most people, won't it?!!! How about the domestic dog under the mammals? This is just crazy stuff! :roll:

Gecko_Haven
04-30-2009, 07:58 PM
The list as in? The list of pets allowed? or list of not allowed?
Those on the list are "invasive" will not be allowed!

Lunar Gecko
04-30-2009, 08:03 PM
That list is what is already considered invasive BEFORE anything becomes of HR 669. If it should pass these will be considered part of the black first.

MaddoxDobes
04-30-2009, 08:06 PM
So Domestic dogs and cats, thats freakin insane!

BooRadleyAMG
04-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Well,that will affect most people, won't it?!!! How about the domestic dog under the mammals? This is just crazy stuff! :roll:
Domestic Cat is also on the list. Thats fine let them add those, while they are at it, add every race of human not American Indian.

They can add the Dog and Cat. That will just have more ppl against it, therefore making more fuss and comfirming it not getting passed.

MaddoxDobes
04-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Exactly!!

Gecko_Haven
04-30-2009, 08:07 PM
So Domestic dogs and cats, thats freakin insane!
Good grief I did not even see the cat! What are they thinking???

BooRadleyAMG
04-30-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd love to see them try to control the Nematodes, granted they even know what the hell they are looking at!

BooRadleyAMG
04-30-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to say April FOOLS! on this whole H.R. 669.
The more I read the list, the more this seems like a bad joke!

Lunar Gecko
04-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Guys, I said "click on reptiles" Only the reptiles in that area. The bill was not writen to encompass cats and dogs because it would never pass. They did not think the reptile/bird/small animal people would jump on them so hard.

Krestie Kate
04-30-2009, 08:21 PM
All those lists are just lists of invasive animals. That dosn't mean those are all the animals that will be on a banned list. It was just a list composed to show all the problem animals that are in the united states.

Kalahmarie
04-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Click the link, click reptiles and take a look.

http://www.invasive.org/species.cfm

These animals will be SOME of whats on the list if HR 669 passes.

ok i feel dumb for asking, but i'm very confused. Is that the list of what's allowed or not allowed? I noticed burmese python's were on the list but i thought that was the start of a lot of this in the first place.

Gecko_Haven
04-30-2009, 08:36 PM
I saw the reptile list as well....went there first. Then decided to look around. Can't understand how they would anticipate something like that being able to be passed...

Styx
04-30-2009, 08:43 PM
I like how they list all pythons.

...Because every python species on the planet is invasive in the US. Right.

Krestie Kate
04-30-2009, 08:50 PM
ok i feel dumb for asking, but i'm very confused. Is that the list of what's allowed or not allowed? I noticed burmese python's were on the list but i thought that was the start of a lot of this in the first place.

Its not a list of allowed or not alowed all it is, is a list that says what is invastive in the united states. This list can however be used to help create the new HR 669 but it is not a list of banned animals all it is saying is that these animals are invasive in the united states.

Lunar Gecko
04-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes, Krestie Kate is correct. This list is the one that was made to show people what animals are already considered invasive in the US. This dues not include any animals that are a threat to BECOMING invasive but the ones that already are. Also this is not a list of anything that is banned now or any such thing. I did not mean to confuse anyone just posting so people can see what we are looking at. I, for one, never knew that chameleons were considered invasive.

Saucy
04-30-2009, 09:31 PM
And notice that all the references used for almost ALL of the species is somewhere from FLORIDA INVASIVE SPECIES. I can understand Florida being upset, and Hawaii as well... but seriously, leave the rest of us out of it. Most of these invasives can't even live out of just a few states.

I'm sick of all this fear-mongering with this and the swine flu junk...

Steffanie
05-01-2009, 12:53 AM
And notice that all the references used for almost ALL of the species is somewhere from FLORIDA INVASIVE SPECIES. I can understand Florida being upset, and Hawaii as well... but seriously, leave the rest of us out of it. Most of these invasives can't even live out of just a few states.

I'm sick of all this fear-mongering with this and the swine flu junk...

Exactly! I doubt that more than 10% if that of the 'invasive species' could live much more than a month here and only in the summer. Our occasional snowstorms don't stop 'til May and start again as early as September, and even in summer night temps can get too cold to sustain decent health in species from warmer climates and with low humidity. This bill's ridiculous, and I think the worst they could do while still being reasonable(though borderline) would be to have everyone register their pets in those states that are affected.

Anyway, my representative sent me a letter in the mail the other day, saying he doesn't see himself supporting this bill and that it had a lot of problems. A real response, made me happy :)

Lunar Gecko
05-01-2009, 02:21 PM
New...

http://snakebytes.tumblr.com/post/102313951/important-read-please

scrletbegonias
05-02-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=704314#post704314

i came across this thread on the BOI it made me worried

Styx
05-02-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about the NRIP, mainly because like Varnyard I'm unsure of how they will deem we should be keeping our reptiles when I doubt they have any knowledge on them at all. Especially some of the unsual and more exotic reptiles that some people don't even know about. Like my Solomons. A VET, and I stress a VET, kept pushing me to increase the temps for my snakes, up to 90. 90 KILLS this species. So if a vet can screw up that badly...

I also doubt it will discourage any of the bad practices going on today to be quite honest. I compare it to puppy mills, those should be regulated and yet they're not. Inspectors see problems but never cite the mills' owners for them. So I'm skeptical things will be different for this. And while the NRIP may be like the AKC of the rpetile world in the future, as some people on BP.net have suggested, backyard breeding of dogs with bad genetics and mutts is still huge.

So I'm extremely skeptical of any good the NRIP could do, mainly because I see big gaping holes where other similer organizations for the dog world have failed. And all dog breeds are identical in care when you compare them to the vast expanse of the care of reptile species (and so no one gets the wrong idea I'm not saying a pom and a dane are the same, but when you compare their care needs to a tegu and a crested gecko, their care is the same because it's far more similer than the care of different reptile species and yet there are problems regulating the care of canines so how are they going to do that for reptiles and actually make it work?).

I actually haven't slept in days so I hope what I'm trying to express makes sense.

Lunar Gecko
05-02-2009, 10:13 PM
WTF. OKay, I'm confused now. TY fr posting that IM gonna do some searching on this and see what I can find.

Styx
05-02-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm also a little confused on the NRIP to be honest as well, and that's after reading everything twice. Except with controlling the tick thing, I understand that. I'm not sure what else they hope to accomplish, or if it's JUST the tick/ecoparasite controlling thing. It's supposed to be an opt-in program only.

From what I understand, you and I aren't the only ones very confused about the NRIP, how it relates to anything, or what species they're wanting to be included in the NRIP or if it's all reptiles. As well, I'm still confused about how they're dictating what is considered acceptable for each species when you submit all the info they want you to in their Standard Operating Procedures Guidelines.

MoonriseGeckos
05-04-2009, 01:32 PM
This article worries me. Has a campaign of innuendo and misinformation begun?

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/04/30/pet-trade-costs.html

Krestie Kate
05-04-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm so sick of every little thing in this world comming back to swine flu. Theres so much media hype about it thats its now retarted. Now they wanna blame the pet industry for it? I posted your link over on the iherp website and members are writting angry letters. If anyoen here would like to release some anger heres the email addy investor_relations@discovery.com

heres anouther nice little artical of misleading facts
http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/issues_facing_wildlife/wildlife_trade/live_reptile_trade/

Styx
05-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I kind of have a serious hate for the HSUS and it's lies and half-truth fear mongering.

Lunar Gecko
05-04-2009, 05:40 PM
True, but the worse (IMHO) group is Peta.

Lunar Gecko
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Here is the response to that post on Fauna.

http://snakebytes.tumblr.com/post/103539176/resonse-to-forum-romurs

Lunar Gecko
05-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Newest from nohr669... meeting with PIJAC about the rumors.

http://nohr669.com/blog/?p=245

Refused Autopsy
05-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Man, I am sick to my stomach after reading what the HSUS wrote about reptiles (posted by kate). I donate money and food every year and have volunteered many times....wth?

I wish I had realized this!!!](*,) I was supporting their no-kill shelters for cats and dogs; I thought !!! All of our local shelters kill....most in less than a week if they "think" nobody will pick them.....ugh!!! I thought I was doing something good, like helping them open more of them........:cry:

How can my smiling little friends possibly be this big of a hinderance on someone elses life??? What is it they hope to gain?

(I am sorry to hijack...I guess it was my little lightbulb going off...I really learned alot from this thread. Thanks!!!)

Styx
05-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks Lunargecko, that makes it a lot easier to understand. I wasn't super clear on what all that was, but I didn't really believe the whole "backroom meetings" rumor either.

Lunar Gecko
05-11-2009, 05:24 PM
No new news as yet. I'm putting together an email of questions from members here on Pangea to be sent to Adam Wysocki founder of nohr669.com and the head of PIJAC, Marshall Meyers. If you have any questions for of them post them here and I will add them to the letter.