Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Diet

Thanks

I use Kirkland (Costco) Lamb and Rice. It's made by Diamond and has a good ingredient list IMO. My lab looks fab and is in great health.

Thanks

Haven't ried Costco, and there is one very close by.

I have just received samples of Natural Balance Venison & Dried Rice. Haven't investigated that yet. My folks bred German Shepherds, from one of the best Shitzhund trainers for years and they have cooked all of their foods. They have their last female right now and she is fed a great diet. Coat is heavy, not overweight, energy excellent and has great teeth and bones. Thanks for your information it is very informative. Will share it with others if you don't mind.
    Gecko Mommy
    7.7.24.4 Eggs Crested Geckos
    1.1 Dogs
    2.2 Cats
    1 Husband
    1.2 Great Offspring

"A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces but also by the men it honors, the men it remembers" John F. Kennedy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misskiwi67 View Post
    vets specializing in nutrition? Do you mean board certified nutritionists, or people like me who look stuff up in a book now and then?

I know of a least two instances where I have talked to people who had to take their pets OFF the evo due to changes in bloodwork. The changes resolved soon after switching back to a different food.

The veteinary nutritionist I've spoken to says that EVO is not a superior food, just one of many choices. It won't hurt a dog with healthy kidneys, but probably isn't a good idea for elderly canine.

An alternative to a BARF diet? Isn't the point of BARF to feed "bones and RAW foods? I don't understand how any kibble is a good alternative. Yes, its ADVERTISED as an alternative, but that doesn't mean the advertising is correct.
    Board certified veterinarians that take a special interest in diet above and beyond what meets AAFCO standards.

This is my last reply to you because you're being awfully defensive and I'm questioning what you actually know about diet, or if you're using your "vet student" status to try to prove your knowledge. Interestingly enough, most vets spend very little time learning about actual nutrition which is why so many of the old timers still recommend things like science diet.

Innova Evo is, as anyone who has studied it, intended to be as close of a replacement as possible to the barf diet. Obviously one can not duplicate raw bones and food in a dry kibble, but if you had taken a moment to research the food prior to replying with such an uneducated comment, you would have realized that the ingredients are what makes the food, and when you use all natural foods with natural preservatives and leave the food in as natural state as possible prior to forumlating it, you result with a food that is quite efficient at replacing the barf diet for people that can't feed it for one reason or another.

Regarding the "two" people you know who had to take their dogs off of it, again...lets see some research to back up the claims to say are so widely know that I have yet to hear of or see. As already stated, every dog will not do well on every quality food. I'm not discounting your two people, but there are thousands out there feeding it successfully and not just doing "well." They are THRIVING.

If you'd like to continue this, feel free to PM me (this thread is about gecko food, and this is totally off topic at this point), though I don't see much point because unless you have research to back up your statements, I will stick with the studies and first hand results that say the food is excellent.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCrestie View Post
    Interestingly enough, most vets spend very little time learning about actual nutrition which is why so many of the old timers still recommend things like science diet.
    This is a true statement. I however, am not the usual vet student. I have taken every nutrition course available to me, own and read several nutrition books, attended conferences, and actively participate in several nutrition boards. Two are owner-based, one is veterinarians. I think I'm about as educated as any vet STUDENT can be... more educated than you're giving me credit for anyway, which is the only reason I'm being defensive. If you had picked ANY other Natura food, timberwolf etc, we wouldn't be in this discussion as I would have agreed with 90% of what you said. You instead chose a food that was designed to meet a niche consumer market, and in the process of developing a food to meet the needs of consumers, they failed to take into account the needs of the pets.

Innova Evo is, as anyone who has studied it, intended to be as close of a replacement as possible to the barf diet. Obviously one can not duplicate raw bones and food in a dry kibble, but if you had taken a moment to research the food prior to replying with such an uneducated comment, you would have realized that the ingredients are what makes the food, and when you use all natural foods with natural preservatives and leave the food in as natural state as possible prior to forumlating it, you result with a food that is quite efficient at replacing the barf diet for people that can't feed it for one reason or another.
    Where did you study it? Do you feed it, or just read the website? The food has incredibly high levels of ash to replace those "chemicals and preservatives" and people tend to ignore the things that aren't used as scare tactics by other companies. I don't believe the ash levels in that food are healthy, and would prefer to feed and recommend ANY other food instead.

Regarding the "two" people you know who had to take their dogs off of it, again...lets see some research to back up the claims to say are so widely know that I have yet to hear of or see. As already stated, every dog will not do well on every quality food. I'm not discounting your two people, but there are thousands out there feeding it successfully and not just doing "well." They are THRIVING.
    They probably said that about Proheart6 too. Adverse effects should not be ignored as coincidence just because you find a product to be convenient. They should instead be researched and the cause should be determined.

I will stick with the studies and first hand results that say the food is excellent.
    My first hand results are just different than yours. I fed it to my cats for a while, with disasterous results...

What studies have been done on EVO?? I'd love to see them. As for backing up my statements, I posted a link to back up my statement about corn being a filler. I don't think there have been any studies to determine what safe levels of ash are. They have only looked to see if ash correlates with amino acid digestability, which it does not.

Getting back on topic... The repashy diet is obviously the better choice between the two, I'm not disputing that at all. I will choose the diet with banana and fig powder as the primary ingredients, just like you choose a dog food with meat meal as a first ingredient.

The only thing I wanted to dispute was the myth that corn is a poor ingredient. Maybe geckos can digest corn perfectly well, just like dogs do... we may never know. I can't see why it would be any less digestable than hemp seed, wheat germ and alfalfa meal. But I didn't design the repashy diets... I guess we'll have to ask Allen why he chose the ingredients he chose.

Thanks

Wink

This is an interesting but potentially inflammatory subject, and we are way off-track as far as discussing Rhacodactylus diets, and if current trends continue the thread runs the risk of getting a bit more heated. It probably would be a good idea to retire the analysis of canine diets to the private message section before tempers flare, lol.
    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Thanks

Yes, I'd have to agree with Dr. Alan. Let's keep this on the crested diet.

Just a quick update...my cresteds are STILL not eating it.

And, I think I'm going to feed it to my crickets...or the chickens, b/c they might like it from the sounds of the ingredients list!

-Andrea
    Visit us online at: www.crestedgeckogirly.com
    Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/crestedgeckogirly21

Have YOU Hugged a Gecko Today?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Alan View Post
    This is an interesting but potentially inflammatory subject, and we are way off-track as far as discussing Rhacodactylus diets, and if current trends continue the thread runs the risk of getting a bit more heated. It probably would be a good idea to retire the analysis of canine diets to the private message section before tempers flare, lol.
    Agreed. Let's keep it friendly and on-topic, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by crestedgeckogirly
    Just a quick update...my cresteds are STILL not eating it.
    Neither are mine. Lol. They keep walking past it with an almost "offended" look on their faces. Jim has smelled it once or twice, but I'm convinced that he's thinking, "Hell, that's some FUNKY cgd right there... what happened to it?"
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

Well, thusfar, my experiment has shown me that my geckos would probably eat kitty litter before eating the pelleted diet. (Not that I would feed them kitty litter, that is. Lol!)

Not a single pellet has been eaten. I've weighed the container and it weighs exactly the same as when it was put in. *sighs* Perhaps my geckos are snobs, but they won't go near it.
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

Hm. Alright. Well thanks so much Sarah for trying out the food with your geckos and sharing the results.