Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead gecko, need some ideas

Thanks

What would sypmtoms of a bacterial infection look like?
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

I would get rid of the shoeboxes, get small kritter keepers. I know I remember someone using shoeboxes before and they had babies dropping dead.

You might ask Dr. Alan if you can send him the dead gecko for a neocropsy?
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

OK, ordered kritter keepers from LLL. Too late for necropsy on these guys. Hopefully won't happen again but if so full pathology is necessary.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

nm - read incorrectly
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

A necropsy might not provide any insight, unfortunately.

Side note: Personally, I prefer shoebox containers with a minimun number of airholes (3-5 on each of the four sides, no holes on the top or bottom) to Kritter Keepers, especially during the first month or three. Possibly because my home is exceptionally dry, when I used KKs, even in a Doug Barr specially designed rack for hatchlings, the geckos had shedding problems even with twice a day misting. Using shoebox containers with paper towel/newspaper substrates this has not been an issue. Obviously these can become too wet, but changing out a wet newspaper substrate doesn't take long, and to the best of my knowledge, I have not had any unexplained neonate deaths.

I have had a couple of juvies drown in water containers. I was using little plastic tubs that applesauce and pudding come in and the sides were apparently too steep. When I switched to 1" high ceramic dishes, the problem ceased.
    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Thanks

Just as well, my vet says chances of getting clean samples from a 7g baby are not good anyway.

I think that the vent holes that I do have there are being blocked by the stack of containers next to them. I think I need to rearrange my room to increase the airflow. I think I will continue to keep the hatchlings in shoeboxes and move them to KK's when they hit like 5-7 grams.

My biggest worry is contagious disease. I have 55 geckos in that room and 54 eggs. Does this sound like any pathogen anyone has heard of? I guess having so many, there is occasionally going to be a death but back to back like this worries me!

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. Keep the suggestions coming. I can't keep losing these guys.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults