Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead gecko, need some ideas

Thanks

Unhappy Dead gecko, need some ideas

Ok, first of all this has been a really bad week here. I had my bird die on me yesterday, and now my second gecko death in 10 days. I am ready to pack all the animals off to some farm where I won't have to look at them ever again! That will pass...

I'm worried about the situation with my geckos. Last week one died in a similar manner and I can't figure out why. Both were fine one day and dead the next. They were eating fine, pooping, everything. The only thing different was the one today dropped his tail just before he died. He had it yesterday.

Ok, conditions of the herps...I have a herp room that stays around 70-74 degrees. The geckos get CGD MWF and crix on either Sat or Sun. I don't use water dishes but spray daily. They are in rubbermaid containers with paper towel and silk plants. The guys that died were each about 10 grams and had been growing fine. Parents were fed along the same lines. I didn't hatch these, they were in the big batch I bought back in Dec. but I do have the parents. The juvies have been kept separately for months now. They did share an enclosure way back, I kept about 6 hatchlings together for a while when they were tiny. Now everyone is alone except for my new hatches that I keep as clutches. The only thing I can think of is the tanks they stayed in did not have many vent holes. Could that have something to do with it? The food molds quickly, but that's about it. Is there a mold or fungus I should be on the lookout for?

I worry because of the number of geckos I have. I really don't think this was a pathogen, I think it must be something environmental but I can't think of what. I need some brainstorming quick before I lose more.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

What type of rubbermaids? I have heard from others who keep babies in shoebox size ones of babies just dropping dead.

You should get a neocropsy done as well as getting some random fecal exams done.

Don't really know what else you are doing wrong.
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

Are you having head aches or any thing?
    Do you have a carbon Monoxide monitor? Or any kind of gas?

I'm sorry to sound paranoid but a bird dropping dead and baby geckos?
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cml3.0 View Post
    Are you having head aches or any thing?
    Do you have a carbon Monoxide monitor? Or any kind of gas?

I'm sorry to sound paranoid but a bird dropping dead and baby geckos?
    Yeah...I'd be really worried.

Birds are extremely sensitive to fumes and smells that we can not detect. If one of my birds (I have two) suddenly dropped dead, followed by additional animals, I'd do some serious looking into smells in my home that I may not be detecting and less sensitive animals may not notice.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

First off, I'm sorry about all the deaths

I was thinking when feeding my roaches the other day.. I give them dry dog food and lettuce.. and became paranoid when I thought about all the dog food scares. The dog food I feed the roaches is Organic so I don't think it's a problem... but I hope others aren't feeding their roaches any of the recalled food because they've recently recalled dry food as well. Could this be a possibility?
    Olivia
    "...Because what's more efficent than doing nothing?"

"...Doing nothing in a Hybrid?"
    -stephen colbert's writers

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming.

Derek-Yeah, they are shoeboxes, do you know why that made a difference with the others you've heard of?

Christa and Indy-I thought of that too. I do have a CO detector and it hasn't gone off. The other bird is ok, no symptoms at all other than he won't shut up for one blasted second (anyone want a moustache parakeet?) The birds and herps are on opposite ends of the house. It would have to be a pretty intense fume to get them both. Not that it can't be that, just not terribly likely.

Olivia-I had not thought of that! I would think it would be more widespread by now if that were a problem but I don't know. I will call my cricket store today to see what they feed. I think he uses chicken starter but I'm not sure. I need to check on hubby's mouse guy too now that I'm thinking of it.

Everyone else still looks good. I'll see if the vet I use can do some fecals for me. There isn't a vet around that knows squat about geckos. I had one tell me to give my garg more dark green veggies! Um..gecko not iguana! I'll check them all again tonight. I'm actually afraid to go in the room anymore. I don't want to know what's waiting for me!
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

you did say you are on papertowels and not subdstrate? so impaction is not an option? have you been feeding mealworms? they, too CAN cause impactions.
    ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
    1.0.0 appaloosa horse
    1.1.0 jack Russells
    1. husband

Thanks

No, they never tear at the paper towels and NO mealworms.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by livialeigh View Post
    First off, I'm sorry about all the deaths

I was thinking when feeding my roaches the other day.. I give them dry dog food and lettuce.. and became paranoid when I thought about all the dog food scares. The dog food I feed the roaches is Organic so I don't think it's a problem... but I hope others aren't feeding their roaches any of the recalled food because they've recently recalled dry food as well. Could this be a possibility?
    The only dry food that was officially recalled was one of the science diet prescription diets.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

I am sorry to hear about you deaths. Environments that grow mold quickly are not the most proper conditions, bacteria can grow quickly as well in moist, warm areas without proper ventilation. What they need is enough airflow to properly dry the enclosure daily. Alot of people make the mistake of keeping rhacs in constantly moist environments. I use a homeade shelf system that I drilled tons of holes in to get the results I needed. But at first I did have problems with mold and constant moisture. I would try and get some more airflow in any containers that are questionable. Best wishes,
    ~ Cheers,Mandy

www.crestedjunkie.com