Thread: Missing Geckos

Thanks

Default Missing Geckos

Just a week ago I had to go out of town and my roommates friend from work (from a vet clinic) was to look after our pets for us while we were away. I came back to find that the tank wasn't securely latched and my two geckos were not in the tank. Seven days later (last night) I finnnally found one of them snooping around the food dishes I had left around the room. I was so happy. However, my flame is still missing. S/he's really small and doesn't eat much even when s/he was in the tank. I'm worried I won't be able to find her.

I have several dishes of baby food through out the room, and some egg cartons left out to hide in if they care to do so (not that there isn't a TON of other things to crawl in). I was wondering if any of you had any other suggestions I can use to try to find her/him.

The one that I did find last night has been sitting RIGHT next to the part of the top that was left open, anxious to get out again, I'm sure.

Thanks

Anyone? Please...

Thanks

I wish I had a suggestion...but being a newbie I can only offer support. That is my fear, that my lid will be unsecure and my cresties go a missing.

It worried me so much that I've purchased a special aquarium with a sliding lid....and I put a regular screen lid over the top of the sliding lid. There's no way that it could be left unsecured...or knocked loose by an investigative cat.

I certainly wish you lots of luck finding your flame. If you have the time, you might start in one corner of the room...start carefully looking under and around every little bit of anything.

HUGS
    ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
    1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
    1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Thanks

im very sorry what did you say to the vet clinic person i would be so mad im hapy you found 1 of them i would just keep looking! I hope you find them
    Pantelis

0.0.2. Garter Snakes
    1.0.0. Leopard Geckos
    1.0.0. Orange Cat

Thanks

I think that your method of placing food dishes around the room is one of the best things that you could do short of stapling cork bark to your ceiling and checking their. My two juvies have escaped 2 or three times a piece and each time I've found them someplace high. I have a shelf that runs across the top of my room and a rope light that runs around the ceiling. Each time I lost them they were either on that shelf or cuddled up under the soft heat of the rope light. I don't know if this helps you at all but good luck finding your lost gecko!!
    -Marina York-

4.3.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (B)
    1.0.0 ball python
    0.1.0 BCI
    0.2.0 leopard geckos

Thanks

look high. the first thing it will do is go up. One of my breeder females was stuck to a lid and my wife didnt know it and we found her only a few hours later up as high as she could get in the corner of the room

Thanks

Thank you for the replies. I'm keeping my eye out high. I have psuedo rafters and pseudo vaulted wooded ceilings. I was sure I'd find them up there, but I haven't yet. The one I found I suspect was fairly close to the ground. Their tank is on the ground and that was the food dish (on top of the tanks lid) it had been eating out of when I found it.

Thanks

Good luck finding your crestie!!!! I've got my fingers crossed fo you!!
    Jillie
    3.5.19 Crested Geckos (0.3.15 for sale)
    0.1.0 R.Brev (pygmy chams)

www.CelticHerps.com

Thanks

i had to learn the hard way to invest in screen locks!! i lost one thinkinking it was cute to put a baby in with my adult i dident think any thing would go wrong but to be careful i put a devider well one day i say my adult in the juvies side of the 50 gallon tank and i couldent find my juvie!! i thought he had eaten it well a few months later i was moving my bed and the beautiful little guy had died under my bed!! i felt so bad so when i went out and bought my next crestie i put it in a large critter keeper well i dident realize the little plastic door was open she got out and was gone for two weeks !! i found her on top of my males cage i was so excited!! so i put her in a new tank with a lid and a gallon of watter on it well a few days went by i was feeding and she was gone!! long story short shes a regular hoodini lol maby i should change her name lol but yah i went ahead and bought every bosy screen cages with doulbe latches and never looked back no mold no problem cleaning! and no worrys about lost critters!!!
    gecko luv!! so much better than human luv dont you think? men sux!

Thanks

Good luck!You'll find him in the end.
    -Chao0104-
    0.0.2 Rhacodactylus cilatus
    If life gives you oranges, make orange juice.If life gives you money, buy a crested gecko.