Thread: Cleaning Out Old Tank

Thanks

Default Cleaning Out Old Tank

Hello! I am a new member so please tell me if I did anything wrong. Anyway, my current crestie is living in a 12 by 12 by 18 Exo Terra cage. I wanted to expand him, and I happen to have a spare 20 gallon tank. It was used by a bearded dragon that passed away very young, at the age of 3. I'm not really sure of anything else that was in the tank, but I don't want to risk putting Echo in it unless it is completely cleaned. Any recommendations on how to clean it and what to use? I was hoping I could clean it out this weekend, but if there is anything I need to order I will do so. I was going to use bleach, but then I read that if some is left behind it can harm your gecko. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks

You can use a mild vinegar/water mixture, just clean thoroughly, and make sure the vinegar smell is gone before you put your crestie in. For future cleanings, get some F10 veterinary disinfectant. A small size bottle last a loooong time.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    You can use a mild vinegar/water mixture, just clean thoroughly, and make sure the vinegar smell is gone before you put your crestie in. For future cleanings, get some F10 veterinary disinfectant. A small size bottle last a loooong time.
    Think Iím just going to order the F10 today. It will arrive tomorrow so it works fine. Anyway, what is it specifically? I found it on amazon but the bottle is covered in danger warnings so Iím not sure if I found the right thing...

Thanks

Bleach water. scrub and then rinse well. Any remaining bleach residue will dry up and not be harmful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenTroi View Post
    Bleach water. scrub and then rinse well. Any remaining bleach residue will dry up and not be harmful.
    Okay, thank you!