Thread: DIY Terrarium for Gargoyle Geckos: Recommended Glass Thickness and Measurements

Thanks

Default DIY Terrarium for Gargoyle Geckos: Recommended Glass Thickness and Measurements

Hello! I'm new to the forum and have been searching around it, I'm new the hobby and have found a local breeder and place to get glass cut for a custom build Terrarium. I wanted to make it large enough for a pair and to make it look really cool! This will be the first terrarium I'm building but I'm super excited to give it a try! The planned dimensions for the terrarium is 24x24x36 (LxWxH), it'll be a front door opening terrarium. Plans are to make the background removeable by building it on 1/4 inch thick cork panel and have it cover all the sides rather than foam everything.

So far looking into what glass thickness I should get. While I see the recommended is 1/4'' for this size tank, I also see on the aquarium end they recommend 1/2''. Would 1/4" still be alright? Or for safety reasons should i go up to 3/8's of an inch? After looking into in the bottom should at least be 3/8'' to 1/2''.

I'm guessing the dimensions if I do 3/8" sides it should be:

Bottom: 23.25" x 23.25"

Back: 24" x 36"

Sides: 23.25 "x 36"

Bottom Front: 24" x 6"

Doors: 12" x 30" (Jury is this out on the doors, I've been looking into how I want to do this since I dunno i want them to be sliding, made out of acrylic, etc)

If it's 1/4 inch then the dimensions should be more like:

Bottom: 23.5" x 23.5"

Back: 24" x 36"

Sides: 23.5" x 36"

Bottom Front: 24" x 6"

I would like to at least put a plastic or aluminum frame at the bottom maybe, sourcing that right now.

Thanks

I have an Exo Terra and don't anything about making my own tanks - so yours sounds interesting! Others will have to help you with dimensions on things.

I do want to ask you why you want a pair though. You are inexperienced yet - are you planning on breeding? If not, you really shouldn't house two geckos together. They're solitary animals, and there's a very good possibility that either 1) they will fight, possibly to the death, or 2) they will breed and you will have a TON of babies. Unless the idea is, with your very large tank, to put a divider in there and keep the two separate, but in the same tank. That could be fun and interesting! But I definitely would not recommend keeping two together.

Hope others will pop in and help you with your tank-build.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - E. agricolae 1.0.0
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0, Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0, Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    I have an Exo Terra and don't anything about making my own tanks - so yours sounds interesting! Others will have to help you with dimensions on things.

I do want to ask you why you want a pair though. You are inexperienced yet - are you planning on breeding? If not, you really shouldn't house two geckos together. They're solitary animals, and there's a very good possibility that either 1) they will fight, possibly to the death, or 2) they will breed and you will have a TON of babies. Unless the idea is, with your very large tank, to put a divider in there and keep the two separate, but in the same tank. That could be fun and interesting! But I definitely would not recommend keeping two together.

Hope others will pop in and help you with your tank-build.
    Oh I should probably clear it up, not a breeding pair! I was thinking of two females that the breeder had (i definitely don't wanna breed) from the same clutch. If they have a high chance of fighting though than I thought I won't get two just one, I felt that that with the size of tank would be enough to provide each gecko pleny of hiding spots and their own zones since it said you could possibly keep two gargoyles together if they are females. I didn't think about adding a divider! Maybe for a future build, thank you for the info tho.

Thanks

So I have modeled what I'm trying to make in SketchUp:

And so far I like what I have done so far! The doors and lid will be made out of acrylic. And I have read about how easily acrylic and can be scratched or start bending, it seems you don't have to worry as much if you get the correct type of acrylic. Extruded has more of a tendency to do that so I'm looking around for cell cast acrylic which does not and is used in aquariums.

The doors will be removable for easy access via the use of lift-off hinges or a variant of them, while the acrylic top will be using acrylic hinges welded on.

I need to find a set of cabinet door magnets I would like to keep the doors shut and a lock I think would fit this. The plastic L-channels are there to keep the acrylic top secure.

The hole in the acrylic top is to put mesh there and to allow light to come through (like to place LEDs) and ventilation, I'm still debating on whether I want to put some holes on the doors for circle vents. I might cut some holes in the acrylic top to allow in the future for a misting system/fogger.

I need to remember to add in the hole in the bottom for the drainage port, it is a precaution I wanted to add to allow for drainage of the false bottom in the case I ever have to. (Doesn't hurt to be prepared!) Originally this was being added because I wanted to put a dripping waterfall in the tank. But I got many discouragements from doing so, I still would like to add one for a cage in the future! I know many say they will fail but their are people who have successfully built one in, the two issues i have to solve is: making it easy access for maintence, and ensuring that it mainly trickles into its designated spot since there is an issue with waterfalls often causing an anaerobic environment. There is also the issue of the waterfall possibly keeping the humidity too high in the tank for a gargoyle.

This has been really fun planning out! I have a 10-gallon tank ready for the gargoyle gecko just in case she still needs some time to grow. I still need to do a couple of purchases from TheBioDude, Amazon, Home Depot and eBay before I have everything for the tank. Gonna see if there is anything else Exo Terra, Zilla, or Zoomed wise I can pick up from my workplace. I just got in my moss vines from Exo Terra and I have to say, pretty cool!