Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temps in everyones crested gecko cage?

Thanks

Default Temps in everyones crested gecko cage?

I live in the UK and it gets quite cold here. I have a heat mat at the side of the faunarium as a solution for now and i keep a portable radiator on in my room. The coldest part of the tank is about 18.6 degrees celsius and the hottest is about 21/22. I was thinking about purchasing a 40w exo terra ceramic heat emitter, does everyone think thats a good idea?

Thanks

Ive raised the heat mat temp with the thermostat and the lowest temp is about 20 and the highest is 26, is this better?

Thanks

Ceramic is a great way to go! Since it doesn't produce any light you can leave it running all the time without it bugging them. Just make sure you have some sort of thermostat/dimmer so you can control how hot it gets. I find heat pads are useless since they don't add any heat to the tank itself, all they do is heat the glass they are in contact with so if the gecko doesn't sit on that part of the glass they aren't getting any heat. The only thing to remember with using heat like bulbs and ceramic is that they can dry a tank out much quicker. You will likely have to spray the tank more often and add some moss or something to encrease humidity. Also ceramic bulbs should be in a wire light fixture and not a normal enclosed dome light. The typical dome style can be a fire hazard because ceramic bulbs get super hot, you need the open wire shape to help keep them from overheating.

Thanks

Okay thanks so much for the great advice, Iíll make sure I order all that straight away!

Thanks

What size is your tank? I use a 40W in my 12x12x18 Exo Terra, and a 100W in the 18x18x24. They are in wire fixtures and about 6-8" above the mesh top of the tank so they don't melt the plastic. I haven't found a dimmer that I can afford, so I don't leave them on while I am out of the house, but do put them on for the evening when I am home, and I do mist more frequently. I've found the CHE works the best for me so far. Hope this helps.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 2.2.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Barn cats 0.2.0

Thanks

At the moment my gecko is in a standard large faunarium, before that he was in 12x12x18 but he wasn't doing well since he struggled to find his food. Once he gets big enough i will move him back into the 12x12x18, he's 8.8 grams at the moment.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JessStapley For This Useful Post:

TAD (01-04-2018)

Thanks

With a faunarium you will really have to watch the temps and humidity. Were you thinking of using the CHE with the faunarium or with the bigger tank? It will work best with the 12x12x18, but maybe you can make it work. It's best to have a gradient, where your gecko can move to a warmer/cooler spot as needed. Do you have a good thermometer/hygrometer?
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 2.2.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Barn cats 0.2.0

Thanks

I was thinking of using it with the bigger tank. I have most of the ventilation covered so it doesnít let the humidity out. I use a digital thermometer as well as a laser point one so I can check the temp of a certain spot. Would it be better if I got a different type of housing while heís so small?

Thanks

I think you could either keep him in the faunarium, or you could put him in the 12x12x18, as long as you use paper towel for substrate, provide lots of places to hide, and at least two feeding stations, one high and one low. Don't cover too much of the ventilation - there needs to be good ventilation or they can develop respiratory problems, or you could get mold in your tank. Just mist a couple of times a day - heavy at night, lighter in the morning, and if needed, once or twice during the day as well if it's really dry. You can cover SOME of the top, but I'd say no more than half of it.
    Eileen

Thanks

okay thanks for the great advice. Iíll make sure only half of the ventilation is covered. I use paper towel atm so I can check for his poops and when I move him into the 12x12x18 Iíll make sure I have 2 feeding stations. Yeah I have someone to check it in the day when Iím not home and they spray it down if itís too try. Thank you again