Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad News

I was going to second the eco fiber comment. Use paper towel for substrate until they are at least 15 grams. Much less chance of impaction.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - E. agricolae 1.0.0
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0, Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0, Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

I prefer paper towel. Those who have the most luck with live tanks use different mixes or plantation soil. Introduced isopods are used as natural clean up crews.

he could have already been ill from the pet store. Animals purchased from pet stores usualy aren't in the best of health. He may have had parasites or something.

The constant spraying may have been an issue as well, although probably not the cause of death. To much humidity for too long of time can cause respitory issues. Too little can cause dehydration. So maintaint the proper high and low flucuation of the humidity is an important piece. Before you get another gecko, I'd get that figured out first. You may have to block off some ventilation on the enclosure.

As Tom said, coco fiber can cause blockage (impaction) on smaller animals it may be possible he swallowed a chunk and couldn't swallow it (or it went down and he couldn't pass it) and that may have been his demise. I'd stick to paper towel, it makes it super easy to monitor poop too, which is important info that lets ya know your gecko is healthy and eating.

Either way, I suggest a 100% clean out of the tank. Steralize it as best you can (some use a bleach solution, some use... oh whats it caled f10 or something? It's a potent cleaner that's generally a safe bet, and others use super hot water)
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

This is the F10 cleaner - and the 3-oz bottle goes a looooong way as you need to dilute it. Very safe, and very effective.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/F10SC-Vet...&wl13=&veh=sem

I'd say too, to purchase your next one from a reputable breeder rather than a pet store. Pangea sells them here and if you watch for sales, you can get them for a reasonable price. The only kicker is weather - depending on where you live, you'd have to wait for warmer weather for shipping. But, if you find a sale, they will hold a gecko for you. That might also give you some time to get everything cleaned out and temps/humidity regulated before you get one.
    Eileen
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0, Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0, Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

We hooked up the humidifier system yesterday and the humidity has stayed at 70% but it seems really foggy inside the enclosure is that ok. The temp is 70 also but cant seem to get that to move up at all any ideas on how to get the temp up a little. We have a heat pad on the side which I have found out from this forum does mainly nothing and a light on top of the closure that came with the zilla enclosure, any others ideas to get the temp up a little? We did clean the enclosure out. We live in the middle of the USA and its been really cold so couldnt get one shipped to us for a while. The pet store has a 30 day guarantee on the gecko so was planning on getting one more from them to see what happens.

Any ideas on how to get temp to rise a little and also how often do you have to change paper towels.

You can use a ceramic heat emitter in a wire fixture for heat. They don't give off light, so you can use it at night as well if needed.

Your gecko needs a cooling off period at night though, and the humidity also needs to drop during the day - it should be 80-100% at night, and dry off to about 50-60% during the day. So play around with it for a while and see if you can get it working correctly. It shouldn't be foggy. What kind of thermometer/hygrometer do you have? Is it a digital one, or those cheapie stick-on ones from the pet store? The latter are really not very reliable, so if you have a digital, it's a much better option for a correct reading.

Your tank should be cool and damp at night, and warm and dry during the day, just like in the jungle.
    Eileen

If I turn the humidifier down to the lowest setting there isnt fog in it but then I cant keep the humidity up it will only stay at 50%, but when I turn the humidifier up to get to 70-80 humidity then it is foggy. Have been playing with it and cant seem to get it to 70-80% without there being fog in it. Any suggestions on how to control that better without it being foggy?

Another way to rise the temp is to increase the temp in the room itself. I run a space heater in the room with my geckos when I am home to raise the room temperature. For the humidifier it looks like you will have to be manually changing the settings at different times of the day. Like have it high at night and then turn it lower during the day so that you can have the higher night humidity and lower day humidity.

What exactly is this humidifier? Like are we talking a room humidifier or one of the foggers you can buy for a reptile tank specifically? If it's one of those foggers then of course you will see mist when it is on since that is what it is designed for. It shouldn't be on 24/7 though. Thats not what they are really designed for I don't think. Most people for crested geckos just use a regular spray bottle to keep the tank humid. If your tank is drying out from a spray bottle that quickly then you must have a VERY dry room (like shock people if you touch them room) or way to much ventilation or something, since you don't have much for overhead heat (a heat pad won't dry out the tank since it doesn't really project heat out into th tank).

its a humidifier for reptiles not a room humidifier.