Thread: Soon to be new owner..temp concerns

Hybrid View

Default Soon to be new owner..temp concerns

Hey guys I'm new here. I'm going to be a crested gecko owner very soon and have been doin my research. Everything seems good to go except one thing.. I live in Miami FL..temperatures in my house are usually between 82 - 86 degrees during the day. I know most people say that anything above 80 is dangerous. I don't know what to do about this. I do plan on misting twice a day but I'm afraid that might not be enough. I don't want to bring in a gecko just to kill it. Please help

Reno, NV

water wont cool it down enough. You need some kind of AC unit. if your house has a basement, that's a good place for it, but to be honest if you have no control over the temperature in your home and it gets 80+ during the day... a temperature sensitive species may not be for you. I don't mean to be disheartening, but the well-being of any animal is always my top concern.

a lot of people use ice packs/frozen water bottles set on top of the tanks... but thats only a 'once in awhile' solution... can you imagine how many ice packs/water bottles you'd have to rotate thru ALL DAY LONG, EVERY DAY, ALL summer long? It's just not ideal, and what if you're not home when your bottles finish melting?
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Anything over 80 can KILL a crested/gargoyle gecko. They may be able to handle the temperature for a day but they would still be stressed and if they are in those temperatures constantly then it's just not fair to them. You would need air conditioning in the room. Misting with water won't drop the temperature very much and would only last for maybe an hour before the water warmed up too. Since the geckos also need a drying out period of 50% humidity during the day you can't use water to control the temp since it would be at those dangerous temperatures when the humidity dropped. Keeping them at high humidity constantly would lead to respitory infections and mold/bacteria growth in the tank which could make your gecko very ill. Ice packs are only a quick fix. I used them for a few days this summer during a heat wave and it was stressful. I was very worried for their health and safety I can't imagine doing it for weeks or months at a time. The packs only work for a few hours at a time so you would be constantly changing them, possibly even getting up in the night to change packs (it got cool enough at night for me that they were ok).

So sadly, I wouldn't recommend a crested gecko for you with those temps unless you had air conditioning in the room to keep it cold enough for them.