Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie crested gecko owner

Hybrid View

Default Newbie crested gecko owner

Hello everyone I am getting my very first crested gecko this week or next week. I have been researching a ton. I was wondering if anyone has any helpful advice or tips I could use? I do have a question as well. I live in a cold climate, so should I get a heating pad? Thanks!

what is the temperature of the room the crestie will go in? Depending on how cold it gets you may need heat and likely will need something more then just a heating pad. Heating pads don't add much to the actual temperature in the tank. They just heat the tank wall they are in contact with so if the crestie doesn't touch that wall they get no heat benefit. What sort of advice do you need? There are tons of threads on here that will probably answer any concern you may have. The search bar in the forum is great for that. I often search for answers to questions to get extra ideas on things to do for my tanks.

My house is about 68 to 70 degrees. Okay, awesome, thank you!

Absolutely get a digital hygrometer/thermometer so you can keep track of the temps and humidity. Pangea sells one here for about $12. Your temps need to be between 65 and 80 (not above or below). Depending on the size of your tank, you could use a ceramic heat emitter in a wire fixture for heat. (Wattage depends on tank size.)

How big will your crestie be? (Hatchling, juvie, adult?) What size tank do you have?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - E. agricolae 1.0.0
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0, Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0, Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Okay, I will check my local pet store first. My DIY "tank" will be about the size of a 20 gallon tank. Not sure what size to get. I'm getting my crested gecko from a local pet shop. It's an amazing pet shop. The lady who owns it has 5 stars and she's always helpful and willing to learn more. She says she will order any size and morph that is available from her breeder for me. I have to wait till' the weather is better to get my crested gecko. It may take a week or a month, I'm not sure. I am gathering supplies in advance so that I am prepared though.

I was recommended the pangea's DTH-100 digital thermo-hygrometer, and it works great, and accurately. It's cheap, and ships pretty quick, also i would say a heat lamp is your best bet with three different plants, or decor pieces for your gecko to get high up, and still stay covered. I'm using a 50 watt bulb, but if you're really in a cold climate, you can experiment and find what gets your tank to the right temps. If you ever run into humidity problems, just get some moss and add it in at the bottom, depending on what substrate you use. I would highly recommend eco earth, as it holds humidity well, and it's not hard to maintain. From my experience it's gecko safe as it should be, my gecko never tries to eat it. Hope you have a fun time with your gecko, they are cute little creatures.

I would just add that if you get a small gecko (under 15 grams), then use paper towel for substrate until it's over 15g - there's a lot less chance of impaction with a little one that way. If you get an adult, eco earth works great.

Congrats on your new pet! Looking forward to hearing more about it!
    Eileen
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0, Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0, Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

With a 68-70 temp I would use some heat during the day. That's an ok night temp but they would grow and be much happier with a warmer daytime temp then what your room is. Also I second the paper towels until 15g idea. Impaction is not something you want to risk. Also if you get a very young gecko a 20g tank would probably be a bit too big. Young geckos can get stressed and not eat well in too big of a tank. I'd also use more then just 3 plants. Make your tank a jungle! It should be hard to find your gecko through all the plants and vines.

If you have a 20 gal tank, I'd try for a young adult over 15 grams. In most cases, the adults are a little less flighty than the juvies and may be easier to handle, too, which is a plus.
    Eileen

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    I would just add that if you get a small gecko (under 15 grams), then use paper towel for substrate until it's over 15g - there's a lot less chance of impaction with a little one that way. If you get an adult, eco earth works great.

Congrats on your new pet! Looking forward to hearing more about it!
    okay thank you so much! What do you think is the best age?