Thread: New, first-time crested owner. Help?

Default New, first-time crested owner. Help?

Hello everyone!
    I adopted a baby(?) Crested gecko on Tuesday evening of this week. He seems active at night, and has even jumped on my hands as I'm replacing his food cup. I have given him some food off of the end of a spoon (I'm feeding rhepashy's grubs n fruit mix), and he licked it up willingly. However, I have yet to find any poop. He is on paper towel, and I've checked the leaves he typically hides in. Nothing. Could it be that he's eating it or something? Or hasn't eaten enough to warrant a poop yet? I'm beginning to worry. He appears totally fine, not lethargic, not losing weight, not pale in color. This is my first pet reptile, and I've grown rather attached to him. I'm beginning to worry. Please help!

Update: he is very active, his humidity is around 80 during the night, drops down to 50 or 45 during the day. I'm sure he's not dehydrated. His temps are 75F~ish during the day, 71-72 at night. I know he's only eaten a few licks, but I figured I'd still see a poop. I'm unsure how much he weighs, but he doesn't appear underweight. I'm beginning to feel a bit more worried for him as the week progresses. Could I just be worried for nothing?

New geckos can take up to a month to start eating. I had one that took that long. He eats fine now. Provide more then one feeding area. A bowl on the ground and one up high on a ledge. Make sure there is cover like from plants near the bowls so they don't feel exposed when they go to eat. Moving to a new place is very stressful and until they feel safe they will likely not eat. I'm sure the little guy will start eating soon. Just keep offering fresh food and don't handle until they do.

Thank you so much ;;

I have one bowl in his hide that's not very far off the ground, and one on his food ledge up high. Both are covered well. I did buy a digital thermometer, and turns out his temps were a little low and the analog one I was using was incorrect, so I've bumped up his temps. Hoping he eats soon but he probably got stressed when I had to move stuff around to put in the reader for the thermometer :/

Id hate for him to not eat and then lose weight or something, since he's already pretty young/small (not unhealthy by any means, just obviously not full grown), but this could just be my paranoia about him since I've never owned a reptile before and want to provide the best care.

UPDATE AGAIN!!

I walked in on him today after shutting the light off in my room and he was licking up his food!

Hoping all goes well from here. I'm very happy.

I'd guess that he just hasn't had enough to want to poop yet. Their systems are more efficient than human systems so they don't go every day or even close. I think you're worried over nothing. Once it's been a month, ask the question on here again. And btw you should check each leaf because sometimes the poop sticks to it.

It's great that he has started eating! To further put you at ease my gecko that went four weeks without eating didn't loose a gram the entire time. I've had my geckos slow down to eating only once a week during the winter and they also didn't loose weight, they were even gaining during that time! (not tons but they were gaining steadily). They really are much more efficient and won't loose weight like a person would if they stopped eating for more then a few days.

Thank you both so much!