Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Crestie ... and worries.

Yes, I plan to mix CGD into the banana tonight, as well as some calcium+D3 powder. I'll slowly get him off the fruit.

As for size - I am not completely sure. The last picture of him in my first post is relatively recent, but I haven't weighted him and I don't want to disturb him right now. Maybe in a few days I can weight him.

The "big" enclosure is 20 inches height to 18 to 14 (also pics in the first post).

Don't add calcium/d3 to the Repashy or Pangea - it already has all of the good stuff in it - and too much calcium can be as bad as not enough. The calcium/d3 would only need to be added if you are feeding live (dust the insects in it), or if your gecko shows signs of MBD, which yours does not.

Also, I think I'd leave him in the smaller tank for at least two weeks to be sure he continues to eat OK, and then switch him over to the bigger tank. If he's less than 15g, I'd still use paper towel substrate though.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Hello, ok there is an update. I followed your advises and stopped giving him blended bananas. I left him only on CGD. So he went on a hunger strike again for 2 days, but after that there were quite a lot tongue marks in the Repashi, which made me very happy.
    The next day he didn't eat, and today there are again marks.

Name:  viber image12.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  78.7 KB

I also found something which I am (almost) certain is a poop, so I am getting more and more relaxed with him now. I'll still keep him in the small tank for maybe one more week.

Name:  viber image13.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  54.6 KB

I don't know if it's his eating schedule, or he enjoys the food when it's NOT fresh, but he always eats it when it's the second day (I leave it for 48 hours before changing) and almost never touches it the first night when it's changed.

Do you think it would be safe to leave it for even 3 days, to see if he likes it more this way, or that wouldn't be healthy?

Also one more concern/question? My wife got up very early this morning, it was still pretty dark and he was active and she told me that she checked up on him and he started opening and closing his mouth. He did it like 3 or 4 times. After that she looked at him a few more times and he only did it once more. I observed him during the day, but he was sleeping calmly the whole day and not moving/opening mouth or anything.
    I tired looking this up on the net, but the information is scarce. I know it's a huge problem if they keep their mouth opened, but did not find anything reliable for opening/closing mouth. Do you think this might be some sort of concern?

Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

It's not uncommon for them to go a couple of days without eating, especially when they shed, because they eat their shed, so may not be real hungry right after that. You can leave the food out for two days, if you leave it for 3, mix it with a tiny bit of water so it doesn't dry out too much. In the wild, they do eat older fruit, so it shouldn't be a problem. Don't go past 3 days though.

I don't think opening and closing his mouth is a huge problem; your wife maybe just startled him, and that and the chin movement is just a slight sign of stress. I wouldn't worry about it unless he keeps his mouth open.

Glad you are seeing progress!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0