Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Crestie ... and worries.

Thanks

Yes, I plan to mix CGD into the banana tonight, as well as some calcium+D3 powder. I'll slowly get him off the fruit.

As for size - I am not completely sure. The last picture of him in my first post is relatively recent, but I haven't weighted him and I don't want to disturb him right now. Maybe in a few days I can weight him.

The "big" enclosure is 20 inches height to 18 to 14 (also pics in the first post).

Thanks

Don't add calcium/d3 to the Repashy or Pangea - it already has all of the good stuff in it - and too much calcium can be as bad as not enough. The calcium/d3 would only need to be added if you are feeding live (dust the insects in it), or if your gecko shows signs of MBD, which yours does not.

Also, I think I'd leave him in the smaller tank for at least two weeks to be sure he continues to eat OK, and then switch him over to the bigger tank. If he's less than 15g, I'd still use paper towel substrate though.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 2.2.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Barn cats 0.2.0

Thanks

Hello, ok there is an update. I followed your advises and stopped giving him blended bananas. I left him only on CGD. So he went on a hunger strike again for 2 days, but after that there were quite a lot tongue marks in the Repashi, which made me very happy.
    The next day he didn't eat, and today there are again marks.

Name:  viber image12.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  78.7 KB

I also found something which I am (almost) certain is a poop, so I am getting more and more relaxed with him now. I'll still keep him in the small tank for maybe one more week.

Name:  viber image13.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  54.6 KB

I don't know if it's his eating schedule, or he enjoys the food when it's NOT fresh, but he always eats it when it's the second day (I leave it for 48 hours before changing) and almost never touches it the first night when it's changed.

Do you think it would be safe to leave it for even 3 days, to see if he likes it more this way, or that wouldn't be healthy?

Also one more concern/question? My wife got up very early this morning, it was still pretty dark and he was active and she told me that she checked up on him and he started opening and closing his mouth. He did it like 3 or 4 times. After that she looked at him a few more times and he only did it once more. I observed him during the day, but he was sleeping calmly the whole day and not moving/opening mouth or anything.
    I tired looking this up on the net, but the information is scarce. I know it's a huge problem if they keep their mouth opened, but did not find anything reliable for opening/closing mouth. Do you think this might be some sort of concern?

Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

Thanks

It's not uncommon for them to go a couple of days without eating, especially when they shed, because they eat their shed, so may not be real hungry right after that. You can leave the food out for two days, if you leave it for 3, mix it with a tiny bit of water so it doesn't dry out too much. In the wild, they do eat older fruit, so it shouldn't be a problem. Don't go past 3 days though.

I don't think opening and closing his mouth is a huge problem; your wife maybe just startled him, and that and the chin movement is just a slight sign of stress. I wouldn't worry about it unless he keeps his mouth open.

Glad you are seeing progress!
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 2.2.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Barn cats 0.2.0

Thanks

Hi, I need to rejuvenate my post, but with bad news I need help My gecko hasn't eaten for 2 weeks, since I moved him into his old new bigger enclosure. I've been leaving food on 2 spots and I know he has seen it, because he roams and was there (I saw him). There was one very tiny lick mark just one of the days. Today I saw that he is in a very awkward pose on the ground, on the substrate. I left him be, but he didn't move whole day and at the evening I decided to check on him and he started acting really strange, like trembling, walking backwards, but it seemed like he had trouble walking. I took him out and he was completely not moving, just little trembles with his legs. This is never the case, usually he starts walking and climbing my hands. He again tried to walk backwards, and his fingers on his feet seemed like they are upwards, he couldn't walk, but his legs trembled again. He also has a kinked tail. I tried offering everything - sauna, water, calcium, food (3 different types) but he won't take anything - just stands there not moving, not doing anything. It's really worrying. Any suggestions what I can do? I can put him back in his old enclosure, but I don't think this will help much.

Thanks

Can you get him to a vet? The kinked tail is an indication of MBD (metabolic bone disease) and he may need more calcium than he is getting. I'm not a vet, so I don't want to say that's what's wrong with him, but the kinked tail makes me think that. He may also need fluids, or he may have parasites. Being a weekend, it may be difficult to get to a vet, but if you can, do it as soon as possible. Until you can, put out a small dish with just calcium in it (don't add it to his food, but in addition to it). I am sorry to hear this, as that is not normal behavior, and it doesn't sound like he is doing very well.
    Eileen

Thanks

Be careful to not feed just banana- this will result in nutrition problems. Remember, they can go up to 4 weeks without eating so don't worry if he boycotts normal CGD for a while. He will not starve himself to death. I'd keep him in the smaller container for a while, so that you don't stress him out too much. I think someone already mentioned this, but it could be the reason he stopped eating is because he was shedding, which will happen every couple of weeks when they are juveniles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Can you get him to a vet? The kinked tail is an indication of MBD (metabolic bone disease) and he may need more calcium than he is getting. I'm not a vet, so I don't want to say that's what's wrong with him, but the kinked tail makes me think that. He may also need fluids, or he may have parasites. Being a weekend, it may be difficult to get to a vet, but if you can, do it as soon as possible. Until you can, put out a small dish with just calcium in it (don't add it to his food, but in addition to it). I am sorry to hear this, as that is not normal behavior, and it doesn't sound like he is doing very well.
    Thanks. I think he is much better now. I moved him again to the small enclosure with paper towels. I couldn't get him to the vet but on Saturday I got him 4 little crickets, I dusted them very well in calcium+D3 and let them lose inside. He ate almost immediately 2 of them and the other 2 the next day. He seems much more active and healthy than before, he again moves around etc. I hope he will start eating his CGD from tomorrow.

Thanks

You may consider switching to the pangea CGD. Mine seem to like it a lot more than repashy, and I'm not just saying that because this is a pangea forum.
    current status:
    humans 1.1
    cats 1.2
    crested geckos 1.1
    leopard gecko 1.0
    and a dubia colony