Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Crestie ... and worries.

Thanks

Default New Crestie ... and worries.

Hi all,

I've been around in the forum for a while, but just recently got my first crestie. So long story short - I am very dedicated and I wanted to have the best for him. I am keeping 60-80 humidity, around 22 C and providing Repashi CGD, occasonally crickets and I am waiting for Pangea delivery to try this also. Unfortunately probably my main mistake was too big tank from the beginning, and no paper towel, but he wasn't exactly a hatching, maybe more of a juvie, so I decided he'll be ok. Here is the tank:
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2017-12-20 at 14.49.37.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  12.4 KB

Here is the gecko when I took him:

Name:  viber image.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  74.0 KB

Anyways - the first week everything seemed fine, even the first night, in the morning, he was out of hiding, I found him on the food, and when I checked he has been eating from day 1. So I figured everything is fine. He continued to eat through the first week, I also finger-fed him on some occasions, just for fun. Unfortunately again, I didn't see any poop, but the tanks is big and has eco earth substrate and moss, so I figured it's too small to be seen and since he was eating I thought it's ok. At one point I got him crickets also, I put 3 of them in the terrarium the next day they were gone. This one time he pooped on my hand when I held him and he also ate a lot of the CGD so I was really happy he is healthy and he is growing (I think it's even visible that he is growing in only 1 week - Name:  26539971_10154925845762273_2039987830_o.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  61.9 KB

And then ... he stopped eating completely. I am absolutely sure, because I make sure the CGD is completely flat when I leave it and there is no "tongue marks" in the mornings. I also rarely now find him out in the morning, so I am not really sure if he even moves during the night. He was never particularly active, he never jumped or moved quickly, but I think he slowed down even more. When I hold him he moves a bit, but again not much.

It's been 7 days now and he hasn't eaten at all - I tried crickets again but he didn't eat them for 2 days and they died so I threw them out. He refuses also the CGD and I made him 2 times blended mango/banana and only banana mix, but they weren't touched. I bought a small plastic enclosure, which I think is used for transport, to monitor him better and to have his food more in sight (even if he had found it on day 1 by himself), and put paper towels in it, but 2 days into it, he still hasn't eaten

I am really worried from this sudden lack of appetite. I also don't know if he has some kind of constipation or something and this is the reason he is not eating, there is no poo in the new enclosure, but I guess it's normal if he doesn't eat at all.

This is the new: Name:  viber imagess.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  91.3 KB

Please, any suggestions or advises are most welcome.

Thanks

I'd keep him in the smaller tank for now. Normal not to eat for a few weeks in a new environment, but the paper towel will help you tell (with poops), although he may poop in the greenery also.

Two things I'd suggest - your food cup on the floor looks very tall, and there is a LOT of food in there. Make about half that and put it in a jar lid or large bottle cap so he can get at it better. Forget the live food until you know he is eating the CGD better, and try not to hand-feed, he can become dependent on that. Handling is OK if he'll let you, but let him find the food.

Also, if you can provide some kind of hide (toilet paper tube or PVC pipe) on the ground, he'd probably like that too, and he'll feel a little more secure.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - E. agricolae 1.0.0
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0, Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0, Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

That is a lot of food for a little guy. Mine won't even always eat a TSP of food in 2 nights! I doubt you could see lick marks from a bowl that full of food (the food would just fill the lick space back in since it is at a soft enough consistency). Your gecko is pretty small so it won't be eating much. Also moving to a new enclosure has likely stressed your little fellow out again so it may be a few weeks before it feeds. I'd keep handling to a minimum if at all until it is eating well and agree about stopping feeding any insects until it eats the powdered food well. Stop hand feeding and maybe add another plant on the other side so it can feel safer. It's a pretty open tank and open spaces can make a gecko feel unsafe.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I added more plants and I also added toilet paper tube. Tomorrow I'll change all his food and also use bottle caps as cups and put CGD in 2 places. Here is what it looks now:

Name:  viber image??.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  94.5 KB

Thanks

Looks good. Good luck, and I wish you the best of luck with your little one! Keep us posted.
    Eileen
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0, Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0, Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

One more thing. If the gecko was eating and then it stopped, it might have eaten its shed. After they eat their shed, they tend not to be hungry for a while. In addition, all of them eat less in winter than they do in other seasons (I suspect they respond to day length cues). Even growing geckos don't necessarily eat every day, though it's good practice for keepers to provide growing juvies with food every day.

Anyway, lovely gecko and nice setup!
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Hi all, I am very happy and I really hope I am not wrong, but I think he has eaten, and even quite a lot, as those look like lick marks:

Name:  viber image_Eat.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  87.7 KB

Seems like he ignored the Repashi and went for the banana that I blended for him. Tonight I left this one in the cage, renewed the Repashi and also added one additional bottle cap with food, just in case. Still waiting on the Pangea delivery, maybe it will suit him better.

Thanks

Yup, that looks good! Congrats - he's eating! You can maybe mix a little of that with the Repashy and see if he'll eat it that way until the Pangea gets there.
    Eileen

Thanks

Ok, he ate again, and again he ignored both bottle caps with CGD and went for the rotten banana - lol. I'll follow your advice and this night I'll blend another banana and add in Repashi. I still don't see any poop though. Any suggestion how long should I keep him in the smaller plastic enclosure, before returning him to the bigger one?

Thanks

I'd kinda stop with the banana unless you add a bit to the gecko diet itself. No more containers with just banana. Just eating banana will result in nutrient problems and you don't want them to reject the healthy food. I know you want the little guy to eat, but he needs to be eating the proper food more then just snack foods. Even if he refuses to eat for a while because there is no banana it is important for it's health that it eats the gecko diet which contains all the proper nutrients they need and in the right amounts.

As for moving, how big is the gecko and how big was the tank? Constantly moving a gecko back and forth is not good for them. They get stressed easily and constantly moving from one enclosure to enough will definently impact their feeding response. If you are worried about it not eating, moving it back and forth is just increasing the problem.