Thread: Crested gecko not growing much.

Default Crested gecko not growing much.

Hi i have owned my crested gecko for about 4 months now and he isn't growing much. For the first couple of weeks he wasn't eating much at all because he was still settling in. i feed him pangea watermelon and pengea with insects and he really enjoys them so i might try another flavour. Ive tried to feeding him dusted small crickets multiple times but he wont touch them if i leave them overnight and seems quite scared of them. Over the 4 months he has grown about 2.5 grams but for the first couple of weeks he wasnt eating but it still seems like quite a small amount to grow. This week he is ranging from about 8.6- 8.9 grams. Is there anything you guys can suggest or is he just a slow grower. ATTACH=CONFIG]77581[/ATTACH]Name:  IMG_6286.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  13.5 KBName:  IMG_6289.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  6.1 KB.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That growth rate is fine. As long as he grows he is doing ok. Insects help them grow quicker due to the extra protein but if your gecko has no interest then there isn't much you can do. Some just areny big eaters and may just grow slow. Cresties have a large range of growth rates. Some could grow almost to full size in a year or so while others may take 2 years or more. One of my geckos stayed at like 12 grams for 3 months and then put on 3 entire grams the next! They tend to have growth spurts and many slow down eating (and therefore growth) in these cooler winter months. If he is a year old and 8 grams then I would maybe be worried but I have a gecko that is like 28 grams and he is over a year now and I have a 6 month old gecko that is 18 grams. That 28 gram gecko weighed 9 grams at 6 months in comparison. My largest gecko is like a year and a half and he weighs 60 grams!

Okay thank you that puts me at ease, he seems to be perfectly fine and healthy so he must just be a slow grower.

Growth rate is fine. If you want to bulk them up you can feed them wax worms. As for the crickets, try feeding it took them by hand. Wax worms are basically pure fat, so they can't be fed as often as crickets.

Okay thank you so much for the advice