Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing, possibly dead

Thanks

Default Missing, possibly dead

Hello all. This isn't exactly the message I wanted to post my first time here. I got a crestie for Christmas, my first gecko. I was really excited,, when I we came partly convinced that he was not in his tank. This is not the first time he fooled me, however, so I didn't make any assumptions. The first time this happened, it was because he had crawled under the carpet to hide. (I have since replaced the carpet with coconut substrate.) At any rate, today I finally broke down and went through the entire tank, with no sign of the little guy. We have two collies and a geriatric cat. What are the odds my little guy has survived this long?

Thanks

Depends on the temperature and humidity of the room, the attitudes of the pets and where it could go. They can go a long time without food, but not too long without water. Someone found their gecko after 10 days of searching and it was in great shape. Some are not as lucky or find them the next day dead. I would advise you to start searching everywhere and to leave food out for them. If you are 100% sure the gecko is not in the cage leave the cage open with food as well since it may return to a familiar place with food. Good luck!

Thanks

Do you have a background on your tank? Many a gecko has climbed behind one and scared their owner to death. Or a hollow decoration? I hope your gecko turns up soon! Orchidilia has good advice.

Thanks

Ya my geck crawled up the background of my exo terra, so if that happens you can either use your loose substrate to block the holes at the bottom, or if you use paper towel, just stuff some in to the holes
    Lumi, my crestie
    Lacey, my old leo
    Cornelius the snake
    M.H.C.s
    Rico and Hans the budgies
    mice galore

Thanks

He wasn't eating his (don't kill me) gecko buffet pellets. I do have a large bag of Pangea gecko diet mix. Inside the tank, you say?

Thanks

If you are 100% sure that he isn't in the tank then yes, leave the tank open and put fresh food and water inside. You could mist it too. If your place is dry then he may be looking for a higher humidity spot. I hope you are checking everywhere for him, and I mean everywhere. Look high and low, take out drawers and look in and behind them. Anywhere that is small enough to fit your gecko it may be. They want a nice dark spot to hide in the day. People have found them behind dryers, fridges and other appliances, in rolled up matts/carpets, in drawers or behind drawers after removing the actual drawer. The more you look the better chance you have of finding him/her. Just waiting and hoping it will appear out in the open will likely be unsuccessful but many people have found missing geckos especially if they check everywhere and everything. They also check the same spots daily because geckos move around (especially at night). You can set up other food stations on maybe a high shelf or somewhere else to try and attract him so you can find him. Some people also put out flour or cornstarch on the ground around the food bowls they leave out to check for gecko prints meaning they came by. Looking around late at night in the dark with a flashlight may also help you find it since that is when they may come out in the open looking for food.

Thanks

I'm really interested if you found him. and I'm really interested if Orchidilia method is actually working. please come back with updates Karma. thanks for the tips Orchidilia!

Thanks

The place is surprisingly dry. 27% humidity, according to the electronic thingy I bought him.

Still missing, by the way.

Thanks

I found him today, barely alive, skinny and weak. Unfortunately, I now have a new problem. Yesterday, having basically despaired of seeing him again, I bought another crestie.

Thanks

Can you maybe return the new crestie since you just bought it yesterday and try to save your original one? You are so lucky to find it! So many worried owners search and search only to find them dead. For your original crestie get some sort of plastic container for it and poke some holes in it for ventilation. Keep it warm and put damp paper towels in it to help it rehydrate along with fresh food and a container with water. Provide a plant or something else to hide in and keep an eye on it. Hopefully it will recover. You may have to hand feed it if it is really weak and offer it water droplets from something to drink directly. Maybe even consider taking it to a vet. People also mix I believe pedialite into water for saunas to help the gecko rehydrate and get back some electrolytes. I'm sure there are several threads you can search on this site for advice on how to help a crestie in this situation. I have never lost one so I'm not sure of the exact procedures or amounts of things to try.

Honestly I would have waited until you had found the body before buying another gecko. It has only been like a week. Like I said before people can find their geckos weeks after they go missing and they are still alive. Reptiles don't need to eat as often as other animals do and since cresties can handle cooler temperatures that many reptiles they can handle living outside of their tank longer then more temperature sensitive species. Also did you figure out how the other gecko escaped before buying the new one? Unless you were leaving the cage wide open and turning away from it there may have been some sort of gap that the gecko used to escape that this new one could find too.

I really hope you will try to care for your original crestie and not just give up on it since you have a new one. They are able to recover from being in pretty bad condition if you are willing to give them care.